• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Oot: Ganondorf's Tale (An Idea for a Zelda Game)

After playing through OoT again recently I began to think of the story a little more and had an idea for a Zelda game.

Basically this game would take place before and during the events of OoT. Although instead of playing as Link, the player would control Ganondorf. I've always thought that Ganondorf could use his own game to explain his rise to power and his journey in OoT. It could start during the tail-end of the unification war and flesh out some of the details of the war such as who was on what side, who were allies, why it took place and how it ended. I've always had a feeling that whatever ended the unification war wasn't beneficial to every race in Hyrule. This could give an ulterior motive to Ganondorf's betrayal and give some more attention to his character, let alone the relations between different races in Hyrule. I know that story is usually one of the last things Nintendo has focused on with Zelda but i feel that revisiting this great story from a new angle could shed a light on the many mysteries of Zelda.

The game could be split into 2 major sections, just as the original OoT was. On the end of the unification war, you as Ganondorf you must venture to Hyrule to swear allegiance to the king. As you spend time in Hyrule you grow envious of the people and their carefree ways. You hear the legend of the Triforce and decide that you must have it, no matter the cost. In this game you could have to battle your way through the very same temples and dungeons Link would one day quest through. Although your time in the dungeons could serve as the back story for the corruption Link will witness in the future. Before each temple or during you could have to hone you magical abilities and learn new spells to progress through the dungeons.

You first try searching for the spiritual stones across the land. You must journey through the Kokiri Forest, Death Mountain and Zora's Domain and try to obtain the sacred stones. You are forced to enter each Child Link dungeon in the process. At the end of each dungeon you could have to fight the dungeon's guardian and then corrupt them to do your bidding in the future(Gohma, King Dodongo and Barinade). Then after you trick Link into opening the way to the Sacred Realm, you would have to fight your way through the Light Temple and have a duel with Rauru who is determined to stop you from laying your evil hands upon the Triforce, but in the end he is forced to retreat and seal the Chamber of Sages where Link's soul lies, thus allowing you to find the Sacred Treasure. After obtaining the Triforce of Power, the Adult Section would start with the siege of Castle Town and a battle with the King of Hyrule and his knights. After you defeat the king, you claim the throne as your own but find out something unsettling. You learn of the legend of the Hero of Time and how he will be aided by the sages. Then the game could have you traveling to each of the 5 temples and having grand showdowns with the ancient sages residing inside. Each part could involve finding the weakness of a sage's power and sealing the sage's weapon/equipment in their temple. The sage's weapons could be the very same ones found later by the Hero of Time (ie: Fairy Bow in the Forest Temple). After each battle you must seal the temples and instill an evil force there to hold back the power of the sages. Then later as the Hero slowly undoes all of your hard work, you prepare for the showdown where you must face link atop your tower. After a long battle link deals the final blow to you and the screen starts to fade as you watch Zelda and the Hero escape and all you worked for collapse around you. As the dust clears from the collapse, you are filled with rage at the impudence of this boy. This causes you to transform into Ganon for the final fight. At this point the game takes a unique twist and in the end of the battle, you emerge victorious and kill link. The sages rush to try to seal you away thus starting the downfall timeline canonically.

So what do you guys think of this game idea? Be sure to give opinions, criticism and ideas on it. I look forward to hearing what the ZD community thinks of this.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
Well, I know some people were disappointed with the official timeline as there was a split if "the hero was unsuccessful." This idea would definitely change their perspective on that! I think that this is an intriguing idea. I would without a doubt play that game!

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
After playing through OoT again recently I began to think of the story a little more and had an idea for a Zelda game.

Basically this game would take place before and during the events of OoT. Although instead of playing as Link, the player would control Ganondorf. I've always thought that Ganondorf could use his own game to explain his rise to power and his journey in OoT. It could start during the tail-end of the unification war and flesh out some of the details of the war such as who was on what side, who were allies, why it took place and how it ended. I've always had a feeling that whatever ended the unification war wasn't beneficial to every race in Hyrule. This could give an ulterior motive to Ganondorf's betrayal and give some more attention to his character, let alone the relations between different races in Hyrule. I know that story is usually one of the last things Nintendo has focused on with Zelda but i feel that revisiting this great story from a new angle could shed a light on the many mysteries of Zelda.

The game could be split into 2 major sections, just as the original OoT was. On the end of the unification war, you as Ganondorf you must venture to Hyrule to swear allegiance to the king. As you spend time in Hyrule you grow envious of the people and their carefree ways. You hear the legend of the Triforce and decide that you must have it, no matter the cost. In this game you could have to battle your way through the very same temples and dungeons Link would one day quest through. Although your time in the dungeons could serve as the back story for the corruption Link will witness in the future. Before each temple or during you could have to hone you magical abilities and learn new spells to progress through the dungeons.

You first try searching for the spiritual stones across the land. You must journey through the Kokiri Forest, Death Mountain and Zora's Domain and try to obtain the sacred stones. You are forced to enter each Child Link dungeon in the process. At the end of each dungeon you could have to fight the dungeon's guardian and then corrupt them to do your bidding in the future(Gohma, King Dodongo and Barinade). Then after you trick Link into opening the way to the Sacred Realm, you would have to fight your way through the Light Temple and have a duel with Rauru who is determined to stop you from laying your evil hands upon the Triforce, but in the end he is forced to retreat and seal the Chamber of Sages where Link's soul lies, thus allowing you to find the Sacred Treasure. After obtaining the Triforce of Power, the Adult Section would start with the siege of Castle Town and a battle with the King of Hyrule and his knights. After you defeat the king, you claim the throne as your own but find out something unsettling. You learn of the legend of the Hero of Time and how he will be aided by the sages. Then the game could have you traveling to each of the 5 temples and having grand showdowns with the ancient sages residing inside. Each part could involve finding the weakness of a sage's power and sealing the sage's weapon/equipment in their temple. The sage's weapons could be the very same ones found later by the Hero of Time (ie: Fairy Bow in the Forest Temple). After each battle you must seal the temples and instill an evil force there to hold back the power of the sages. Then later as the Hero slowly undoes all of your hard work, you prepare for the showdown where you must face link atop your tower. After a long battle link deals the final blow to you and the screen starts to fade as you watch Zelda and the Hero escape and all you worked for collapse around you. As the dust clears from the collapse, you are filled with rage at the impudence of this boy. This causes you to transform into Ganon for the final fight. At this point the game takes a unique twist and in the end of the battle, you emerge victorious and kill link. The sages rush to try to seal you away thus starting the downfall timeline canonically.

So what do you guys think of this game idea? Be sure to give opinions, criticism and ideas on it. I look forward to hearing what the ZD community thinks of this.

Oddly I had a similar though earlier today playing master quest. This would allow for the 3rd timeline, in a way that doesn't simply count all the times people failed to be ganon while playing the game.

It could be a fun enough game, as long as the temples were copy pasted. And infact not even the same bosses. Cause he made some of them himself, there could be other guardians and what not that he defeats.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
A game playing as Ganondorf would be good. It would probably be a 16+ or whatever the equivalent is in your countries. The game should begin with the Civil War just starting or right before it starts, Twinrova would be your Navi/Fi/Midna for this game, giving you advise and helping you obtain the triforce by offering suggestions. Their evil should really be emphasised showing how they helped channel Ganondorf's rage and jealousy towards Hyrule itself. The game would be chapter based explaining the sudden jumps through different time periods. There would be the Hylians, Gorons, Zoras, and the main antagonists of the game: the Dark Interloper tribe. These will be the main threat and you need to get your hands on the triforce before they do and help defeat them. The game could work by you doing certain missions for different tribes, the allying and betrayal will show just what Ganondorf was like back then. Eventually the interlopers would be sealed along with the triforce becoming unobtainable again. Then the game will take place at the same time as OOT. Ganondorf will need to manipulate and bully so he can get link to open the door of time then after obtaining the Triforce of Power he can spend the next 7 years wrecking Hyrule and murdering sages. The final battle would of course be with link and will begin the decline timeline when link is killed.

A game playing as Ganondorf would be good. It would probably be a 16+ or whatever the equivalent is in your countries. The game should begin with the Civil War just starting or right before it starts, Twinrova would be your Navi/Fi/Midna for this game, giving you advise and helping you obtain the triforce by offering suggestions. Their evil should really be emphasised showing how they helped channel Ganondorf's rage and jealousy towards Hyrule itself. The game would be chapter based explaining the sudden jumps through different time periods. There would be the Hylians, Gorons, Zoras, and the main antagonists of the game: the Dark Interloper tribe. These will be the main threat and you need to get your hands on the triforce before they do and help defeat them. The game could work by you doing certain missions for different tribes, the allying and betrayal will show just what Ganondorf was like back then. Eventually the interlopers would be sealed along with the triforce becoming unobtainable again. Then the game will take place at the same time as OOT. Ganondorf will need to manipulate and bully so he can get link to open the door of time then after obtaining the Triforce of Power he can spend the next 7 years wrecking Hyrule and murdering sages. The final battle would of course be with link and will begin the decline timeline when link is killed.

I like the idea of expanding on the war with an emphasis on Twinrova's influence and making the game chapter based. That would really fix any issues with time changes and jumps. I also like your idea of the different races being allies/enemies but I don't think the Dark Interloper Tribe should be present simply because I have never felt that their war for the the Triforce was the unification war. Thanks for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom