• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Online and Interactive Zelda Games

Have you guys ever wondered what it would be like if you could play zelda with your friends online? Well, I certainly have. It would be really cool to play one 3D Zelda game with my friends. That would be awesome!! What do you guys think? Should there be an online Zelda game or would it just mess up the story?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Phantom Hourglass had a competitive online mode in which one player, as Link, would run through a dungeon trying to grab Force Gems and bring them to his scoring area while the other player took control of some of the game's monolithic Phantoms, drawing paths for them to follow in an attempt to intercept Link. It was actually quite excellent in my opinion and extened the life of the game for several weeks.

I am not sure if Spirit Tracks followed suit since I have only played about half of the main game. It might though.

But I take it you don't mean a seperate mode but rather having two people playing through the main game together. While I don't think I would like having someone else accompany me on the entire adventure (I prefer to go at my own pace while exploring the world and having someone else might interrupt my natural play-style) there are two ideas which come to mind.

The first was raised by this thread from last month.
Having dungeons which revolve around two playable characters was an interesting idea in The Wind Waker and I wouldn't be averse to seeing it return. But instead of making us take control of the companion via a song or magic, it would be interesting if you could simply swap between two characters Resident Evil 0 style.
However, why not allow another player to join you as you enter the dungeons and they take direct control of the companion character? That way you can still complete the dungeon if you play alone but you have the option there to work as a team to finish dungeons. This also allows people like me to play through the adventure at my own pace, since in dungeons you tend to always be more focused on your goal so there is less wandering around and staring at scenery.

The other idea is less interactive but still a nice touch. It is in fact the only thing that I actually liked about Fable 2 (for those who don't know, I hate Fable 2 with a furious passion). In Fable 2, people on your Friends List who were playing the game at the same time would appear in your game as an orb. This orb would float around as your friend moved about their game, showing you exactly where they were and letting you know what they were doing. Now, in Fable 2 you could use these orbs to trade items and even join each other's games (in which you ended up playing not as your Hero but a stunted character and the screen was tethered to both of you, hindering exploration and combat) and something similar would be interesting for Zelda. Especially with the Miiverse, having a visual representation of your friends in-game would not impact on your own personal adventure but still help foster a greater sense of community and you could even include the ability to send messages by interacting with the orb.

Imagine seeing a friend's orb in a dungeon, apparently stuck on some fiendish puzzle. You approach the orb, interact with it, type out a little message offering them a hint and then, in their game, the Postman runs up. "You have a letter from X. My work is done. Onward to mail!" Your friend opens up your letter, sees your hint and solves the puzzle. Would that not be charming?

I was thinking about how awesome it would be if nintendo made an open world zelda game for the Wii U. It would be an mmog, and when you first started, you would get to pick your race. The races would include: Goron, Zora, Hylian Knight, Deku Scrub, Mogma, Gerudu, and Skiekah. Each would act as a faction, and you would be able to pvp battle with the different races. And maybe the story for the game could be all of the races at war with the other races, due to Ganon making them turn on each other. And also there could be dungeons that you could go into (when you enter these, you would switch over to single player), and you could get items and level up your character. I think that would make a GREAT zelda game!!

In terms of Online Multiplayer similar to Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, Then I welcome it on the 3DS, maybe the Wii U as well. However if you mean Multiplayer in terms of co-op in the main story then no. The series had it's chance with the Four Swords and Four swords Adventures and sales showed that those games didn't sell very well compared to the other Zelda titles. I don't believe that Nintendo will attempt to incorprate Co-op in Zelda games again, they obviously thought that Single player was more enjoyable.

Last edited:
"But I take it you don't mean a seperate mode but rather having two people playing through the main game together. While I don't think I would like having someone else accompany me on the entire adventure (I prefer to go at my own pace while exploring the world and having someone else might interrupt my natural play-style) there are two ideas which come to mind."(Direct quote from Cfrock. Sorry, I wasn't able to get only this with "reply with quote")

Actually, I just mean any way to play with each other online.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
It depends how they do it, as always.

Do they go down the FS/FSA road where we can play with a certain amount of friends through the story where our friends just jump in as a clone of Link and help us out then sure why not, Not like it affects the story or gameplay badly if you have a few Links running around solving puzzles together. This is what I would call a single player game with a co op option, We can either play through the game entirely on our own or have a few friends jump in and help. Personally this is my favorite type of multiplayer. (for a game similar to Zelda that is.)

Or maybe they choose to make it a multiplayer game entirely, No single player/campaign modes allowed. We jump into a fantasy world, Create a character and play. Now this is firstly highly unlikely and just a big "No" from me. Zelda should never turn into a MMO just because it would mess up the gameplay too much for it to be even called Zelda anymore, not to mention the story would be ruined if it were all multiplayer online.

Or maybe they just add a point system where you get points based on different things like; How fast you beat the game or a dungeon, How many enemies you killed, rupees collected etc. and you can upload your scores to an online leader board. Now this would be my pick, Would be perfect for me to be able to upload my personal records for random stuff and compete/compare with friends or the entire world.

izi

Not A Wizard
There have been quite a few indie Legend of Zelda MMO projects, however none of them have really made it. Some are playable (though roughly), and the others likely never will be. Hyrule Online, a project I followed for a little while is a notable example of this. The game is kind of playable, but it doesn't really scream "Zelda", other than the names and some Zelda-related items. The homepage hasn't been updated in over two years.

The reason why an online Zelda wouldn't work is because of how linear Zelda games are. That's not a bad thing at all - it's just a defining characteristic. A linear MMO wouldn't be positively received, major franchise or not. If World of Warcraft had about 12 items (or even 30), 15 dungeons to go through and never visit again, and a handful of disposable, non-major items, would players spend years playing it? Would it live for over a decade like Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Zelda I, etc. have? The answer is likely not. If these elements were changed, giving said Zelda MMO hundreds upon hundreds of items, with a fair mix of them being disposable, 20 dungeons to "raid" and keep coming back to, then it just wouldn't say Zelda to me.

The Legend of Zelda series has always told the story of a few characters: Link, Zelda, Gannon/Vaati/Other Major Villain, and a few other game-specific major characters. Not a few thousand who all coincidentally have the same destiny of saving Hyrule.

Zelda Online, Hyrule Online, or any other Zelda MMO just wouldn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom