• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Sequence

Okay, so I'm working on a timeline of events for a new Zelda game idea of mine and needed some insight/opinions.

I have events taking place a while after OoT, where all the different races of Hyrule have branched out to new locations around the world. And since Majora's Mask is a sequel to OoT, I would most likely include characters and locations, etc. from Termina.

But since I haven't played every Zelda game, I want to know which other games tie into that specific timeline where I can definitely use its characters and locations. I'm iffy on using events and characters from TP, but I think it's possible. And as for Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, well I'm not using the latter two, but I'm going to refer to Wind Waker as the future of my story (if certain events occur).

So my game and its story take place after OoT and Majora's Mask, and most likely after TP (I'm not sure which other games are in that timeline), but it'd be before Wind Waker and subsequent games.

Does anyone have any helpful information regarding my timeline?

PureLocke

A Hero of Time
First, WW and TP are around the same time in different dimensions, this has been confirmed by Nintendo as well as MM-->TP. Also, Termina is yet another dimension of a parallel Hyrule so you should have a portal involved.

I actually also once had thoughts of doing a real-world Zelda fan-fic. About what games you can use, only MM and TP are 100% confirmed on the child timeline.

First, WW and TP are around the same time in different dimensions, this has been confirmed by Nintendo as well as MM-->TP. Also, Termina is yet another dimension of a parallel Hyrule so you should have a portal involved.

Oh okay, well what I was going to do was make it so that Wind Waker never happened, so using the TP timeline, but I wanted to include Termina in the mix in spite of it being in a different dimension, so what I was thinking is that because of the unleashed chaos upon the rest of the Zelda kingdoms, a rip in a dimension has spilled out (quite disheveled) Termina. That way in spite of where it might actually be located in relation to Hyrule (if they were in the same dimension), my game can just throw Termina into a similar region as an effect of a "portal" tear. So Termina would essentially be altered, but in a way that it is still recognizable. Clock Town could be somewhat of a wasteland, Snowpeak is located on the other side of the Death Mountain mountain range, Southern Swamp may not be as big, the Great Bay connects to the Great Sea, and Ikana Valley and its relative structures, towers, etc. have been leveled. So Link and Zelda would encounter travelers, scavengers, etc. as they journey west to the Western Kingdom...

I actually also once had thoughts of doing a real-world Zelda fan-fic. About what games you can use, only MM and TP are 100% confirmed on the child timeline.

If MM and TP are in the same timeline, is OoT in the same timeline as TP? Just trying to clarify so that I can figure out how to work it all into my story.

I probably won't use everything, but I'm just trying to square away my parameters, thanks!

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
If MM and TP are in the same timeline, is OoT in the same timeline as TP? Just trying to clarify so that I can figure out how to work it all into my story.
Yes. OoT is in BOTH MM/TP and TWW/PH/ST's timelines because it's the base of the split. However, the PARTS of OoT is where things change. All the events of OoT are on TWW/PH/ST's side of history. On the side where MM and TP take place, none of that ever happened. No collecting Spiritual Stones. None of that. So, if your game is going to take place after MM (and possibly TP like you said), then nobody except Link (because he went through the ordeal personally) will recall any of the events of OoT, save for maybe Zelda who only knew of the events because Link told her. In your story, you might have it that the legend was passed down, but that's up to you.

Yes. OoT is in BOTH MM/TP and TWW/PH/ST's timelines because it's the base of the split. However, the PARTS of OoT is where things change. All the events of OoT are on TWW/PH/ST's side of history. On the side where MM and TP take place, none of that ever happened. No collecting Spiritual Stones. None of that. So, if your game is going to take place after MM (and possibly TP like you said), then nobody except Link (because he went through the ordeal personally) will recall any of the events of OoT, save for maybe Zelda who only knew of the events because Link told her. In your story, you might have it that the legend was passed down, but that's up to you.

Okay thanks for the clarification. I thought it might come down to where only Link and Zelda know of the heroism, so I figured by saying that Zelda's Link's advocate, she being the princess of Hyrule (an older one in my story, like in TP) could convince the King of Hyrule of this "Hero of Time" which would give enough fuel to the fire to make Link a recognized hero, which is why Hyrule relies on him so heavily?

But if that's not enough to convince timeline theorists, then I suppose I can alter a few parts where the King of Hyrule speaks of similar legend to that of Link's trials and has yet to see if he is worthy of becoming the hero he claims to be (even thought he actually doesn't claim anything 'cause Zelda's his advocate). This part might take away from the main focus of the game plot/story...seeing as how I might have to re-evaluate the content, but if the former explanation can suffice, then the story can continue in the same manner for it is simply implied that Link was built up (much like the Hero of Time fountain statue) by Hyrule as a hero.

Or perhaps I could have a mini-explanatory story of how The Cardinal Kingdom came from Ocarina of Time? Where I could say that while Link was off "rewriting" history with the ocarina...Zelda comes across the legend of the Hero of Time in the Hyrule Castle Annex???? **wait, when does Link tell Zelda everything? before he comes back from the future? or after?*** because if she already knew what Link was up to, then she could give her father the legend to read hoping he might take action upon reading it. Then he would station guards all around the Temple of Time to keep watch for the "arrival" of the Hero of Time, since the king suspects Link to come from the Sacred Realm?....and having done that, when Link emerges from the temple, fixing the Master Sword back in its pedestal, he will be witnessed as the Hero of Time??????????? It's iffy, but the only reason I wouldn't want to add that or anything else to it is because I wouldn't want to stipulate the Zelda timeline so that no other games can squeeze in their own sequence. I'd rather it just be implied that he has acclaimed hero status, in spite of what little proof he has.

Oh, haha, here's any easy background story for proof. Link reveals to Zelda his adventures and she hosts an event, much like the sword and the stone story, where she invites Hyrule's strongest fellows (even the king himself) to try and remove the sword from its pedestal. So they stage it where Link comes clean to Hyrule by taking up the Master Sword and quickly returning, proving he is the Hero of Time. But now that I think about it, is Link the only one who can weild the Master Sword?

Either way, I figured it'd be interesting for someone else's story to establish Link's Hero of Time identity in that fashion. Make a game idea that's the unmasking of the Hero of Time and Link gets trapped in the past?!?!?!?!?!?! And it can be the origin story for allllllllllll of Hyrule's finest...King of Hyrule, Ganondorf's evil ways, Princess Zelda's birth, Queen of Hyrule?!!?1, the Goron, Zora, and Gerudo tribes, the Great Deku Tree?! and the Kokiri, that big owl dude, the Sages, and the whole freakin prophecy....someone get working on that one!!! Haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom