• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Not Immersive Enough: Why Zelda Should Embrace Voice Acting

tp-crowd-npcs-499x275.jpg

I’m usually not one to ask for successful franchises from olden times to move on from their classic roots. More often than not, the very things that made those games classics in the first place would still make them stand out today, regardless of whether those features are part of “modern game design.” That’s not to say that it’s not nice every once in awhile to see a game made to newer standards – 3D entries in Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, for example – but at the end of the day the true identity of these franchises lies in their original design philosophies.

But when I look at a franchise like Zelda, I see a game that is about being immersed in a world – and specifically a fantasy world. One of the running fantasy tropes that the series picks up is the idea that many of the people the hero meets will have clues to offer that will aid in his quest to save the kingdom. It also introduces a number of smaller quests which give the hero a chance to help people with their own personal troubles. In video game terms, this translates to lots and lots of interactions with NPCs.

I do believe that Zelda should embrace voice acting, but it’s not because I think the series needs to get with the times. It has more to do with the possibilities for added immersion that fully voiced dialogue has to offer.

Check out the full article.

Still don't care whether Zelda has voice acting or not. If it pulls off good voice acting, great, but if we stay with the grunts, I have no complaints.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Voice acting wouldn't be fitting in the world of Zelda, IMO. At least, not real-world voice acting.

A great example of what I mean is when enters that shop in the City in the Sky and the Ooccoo storekeeper began speaking..."Ooccish". After that, it spoke Hylian so that Link could understand. But the moment of gibberish beforehand seemed very appropriate. I'd like to see the same thing happen in a marketplace, where Link runs into a person by accident and they cry out something Hylian. This is far more immersive than grunts and moans, but more fitting for the world of Zelda than, say, English voice acting.

Of course Zelda sang in Japanese at one time, and it was beautiful, but not even that should become a consistent thing, IMHO.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
The only voice acting Zelda needs is Sean Connery. Every Zelda game has at least one character who would suit Sean Connery's voice perfectly and I for one think it's high time Nintendo approached Mr. Connery about it.

We should start a petition or something.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I don't particularly want to see voice acting in the Zelda series. When playing a game from this franchise, many tiny aspects are left to the players' imagination (such as character voices); it would be impossible to please every one as we all have different perspectives. That being said, I wouldn't mind hearing occasional Hylian shouts through a town or market like Thareous mentioned.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Voice acting wouldn't be fitting in the world of Zelda, IMO. At least, not real-world voice acting.

A great example of what I mean is when enters that shop in the City in the Sky and the Ooccoo storekeeper began speaking..."Ooccish". After that, it spoke Hylian so that Link could understand. But the moment of gibberish beforehand seemed very appropriate. I'd like to see the same thing happen in a marketplace, where Link runs into a person by accident and they cry out something Hylian. This is far more immersive than grunts and moans, but more fitting for the world of Zelda than, say, English voice acting.

Of course Zelda sang in Japanese at one time, and it was beautiful, but not even that should become a consistent thing, IMHO.

I thought I converted you, Thar. D:

Garo

Boy Wonder
I honestly don't think it needs voice acting, as we've seen that the series has performed admirably even without it. That's not to say it wouldn't be a good addition to the series in well handled forms, but with the notable exception of Skyward Sword (my objections to which can be read here), most every game in the series has managed to create an interesting story and world without voice acting. Would voice acting help that? Absolutely, and if handled well it would be exceptional - but it's not completely necessary to tell a story and establish a world.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I don't want voice acting. Even the echoes of voices for example Fi in SS annoys me. I like to be able to go at my own pace and don't want acting forced upon me thanks :)

Ronin

I thought I converted you, Thar. D:

XD

Not entirely, I'm afraid. I can see the benefit of voice acting, but there are few downsides that cause me to generate reservations against it. For one thing, the series is becoming more and more cinematic. I'm timorous on that notion because cutscenes with English VA would come off as being very much like Final Fantasy. Zelda has always tried to be unique stick to its own thing; but some recent changes have gone against that flow, yet they did not drastically affect that feeling of singularity. In my opinion voice acting would be a massive impact against that unique feeling, since it would be taking after contending franchises (again, FF), which usually happens in reverse. In order to set up the stage differently and be something of a flagship to its competitor, Zelda has to remain different.

Thus why I am fully supportive of Hylian being the sole language used. It would purely feel...natural with Zelda after all.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
XD

Not entirely, I'm afraid. I can see the benefit of voice acting, but there are few downsides that cause me to generate reservations against it. For one thing, the series is becoming more and more cinematic. I'm timorous on that notion because cutscenes with English VA would come off as being very much like Final Fantasy. Zelda has always tried to be unique stick to its own thing; but some recent changes have gone against that flow, yet they did not drastically affect that feeling of singularity. In my opinion voice acting would be a massive impact against that unique feeling, since it would be taking after contending franchises (again, FF), which usually happens in reverse. In order to set up the stage differently and be something of a flagship to its competitor, Zelda has to remain different.

Thus why I am fully supportive of Hylian being the sole language used. It would purely feel...natural with Zelda after all.

You should re-read my article about why the "uniqueness" thing isn't a good argument.

Ronin

You should re-read my article about why the "uniqueness" thing isn't a good argument.

Yes, but it's exactly the reason why I feel Hylian is more fitting with Zelda's world. Call Hylian an "aid" to making this pursuit more suitable, more natural, to the series' consistence—an enhancement to its credibility and coherence over that of English/Japanese voice acting. Besides, in your article you brought up Shadow of the Colossus, a game that basically employed "a stellar voice acting along with, you guessed it, a made-up language" [paraphrased], something you stated that, alongside VA in cutscenes, you would be for. I suppose that's probably what I'd want also, despite the variance between "Hylian" and English. But I think it could be pulled off rather well; just no total transition for me.

Not sure what's so appealing about listening to gibberish over a language I've been speaking all mah life, but it intrigues me.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
If we do get voice acting at all, I prefer it to be Japanese. No Hylian, no English, just straight Japanese. I'm acquainted with the voicework of many of the onhand VAs and they're all amazing...when they speak their native language. This would change very little in my opinion. Change for sure, but we basically have the authenticity, we just need that extra push for a real language going on.

Yes, but it's exactly the reason why I feel Hylian is more fitting with Zelda's world. Call Hylian an "aid" to making this pursuit more suitable, more natural, to the series' consistence—an enhancement to its credibility and coherence over that of English/Japanese voice acting. Besides, in your article you brought up Shadow of the Colossus, a game that basically employed "a stellar voice acting along with, you guessed it, a made-up language" [paraphrased], something you stated that, alongside VA in cutscenes, would be for. I suppose that's probably what I'd want also, despite the variance between "Hylian" and English. But I think it could be pulled off rather well; just no total transition for me.

Not sure what's so appealing about listening to gibberish over a language I've been speaking all mah life, but it intrigues me.

I would actually find that an interesting way to go if there ever is to be voice acting at all. I think using anything but a form of Hylian would lessen the immersion factor, as Hyrule is supposed to be another world from ours altogether. On the subject of there being voice acting at all, I'm on the fence. On one hand, I see the point that Zelda should evolve with the times, and while it has made strives to be different from its competitors, voice acting has the potential to truly bring Hyrule to life.

Besides, I've always wondered what spoken Hylian sounds like. Lord knows Hyrule would be a very boring place if the people there only communicated through grunts or telepathy or something. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom