• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

North Korea Successfully Lands A Man On The Sun!

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
So, landing on the solid surface of the sun is not possible as the sun has no solid surface, but I think you mean what would it take to be able to travel to the sun and explore its various layers.

So, we currently have the technology necessary to send things toward the sun. We’ve done so many times in the past and so sending a craft to orbit the sun is an engineering feat that we can do without issue. The problems arise when we stick humans on board. I won’t go into the details of all the issues surrounding the sending of humans into deep space as I think most of us are aware of those anyway considering current society’s interest in going to Mars. However, a whole new challenge arises if we send humans toward the sun. First of all, it will take a total revolution in engineering in order to shield sunbound astronauts. The levels of radiation that would be bombarding the crew would fry them faster than an egg on Venus. The solution might lie with some form of photochromatic shielding where the ship carrying the crew would behave similarly to the way self-darkening glasses do when one steps outside from being indoors. Basically cosmic sunglass shielding around the hull of a ship that can deal with solar radiation at close range.

Another major issue is developing hull materials that could withstand the enormous heat and tidal pressures of a gigantic hydrogen bomb like our sun. Another possibility for "landing" on the sun may be to create immense magnetic field "platforms".

thegreenrobby said:
Well, my understanding of physics is... elementary (ba-dum, TISH!) but I guess it could be possible.

tumblr_mrodipJHPS1rdm0boo1_500.png

Last edited:

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Uh...why dont they just wait until December 21st, when the sun is like 30 degrees. Especially at night! Why haven't they done this yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom