• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors No Full Voice Acting for Hyrule Warriors

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
You may or may not already know that there is not going to be full voice acting in Hyrule Warriors, and the voices will have that '''hey listen'' sort of feeling'.
Whilst this news may be upsetting for some, I believe it is for the best. It sounds like here will be a big roster of fan favourite characters, these will be from past games where characters did not speak. Giving voices to incarnations of characters from past titles, may not be the best idea. Characters that long time fans have imagined to sound a certain way being given a voice may cause upset.

This does not mean that voice acting should not happen in zelda U. Zelda U will have a new cast of characters and probably redesigns of old ones that players will not have assigned a voice to. These characters will be experienced in their new forms with voices designed for them. That is how it should be. Whilst Hyrule warriors is a game that can try new things, i realise voice acting is not something that it should do.

What are your thoughts? did they miss an opportunity? should they save full voice for Zelda U? Sould they never do full voice?
your thoughts...

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Yes as far as I know. I was watching a gameplay video of one of the more recent entries and it had voice acting in that.

Incredibly disappointed, to say the least. I've already made my case for why no voice acting is such a strange move in light of story-driven elements SS introduced, and the decision to keep the status-quo and refuse to evolve further just further exacerbates the idea that Nintendo is always two steps behind.

The best argument I've ever heard for no voices in Zelda games is that it "wouldn't feel right", and it's "part of Zelda's charm". Both are incredibly weak to me in light of the fact that we've never had voice acting, thus we'll never know if those two assumptions, because that's what they are - personal assumptions, are true or not.

I'm very pleased with Hyrule Warriors both from a gameplay aspect and a graphical standpoint, but the developers caving in to what is now sadly a "Zelda tradition" of walls of text with a few colored words sprinkled in to make sure we don't miss obvious hints is very, very disappointing. This is honestly one reason why other games are slowly propelling themselves in front of Zelda as my favorite, because others have made large advancements in the development of their plot and stories, while Zelda attempts to do the same with its feet firmly planted in the static past. It's almost kind of sad.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Incredibly disappointed, to say the least. I've already made my case for why no voice acting is such a strange move in light of story-driven elements SS introduced, and the decision to keep the status-quo and refuse to evolve further just further exacerbates the idea that Nintendo is always two steps behind.

The best argument I've ever heard for no voices in Zelda games is that it "wouldn't feel right", and it's "part of Zelda's charm". Both are incredibly weak to me in light of the fact that we've never had voice acting, thus we'll never know if those two assumptions, because that's what they are - personal assumptions, are true or not.

Nintendo are a bunch of cowards, for having not moved forward with voice acting a long time go. TP should have had it and so should SS. I understand why you are dissapointed but I'm sure that if they were to introduce it they should do it all out in a new title in the main series rather than a spin off.

I have not heard a legitimate argument for why not to include voice acting in zelda, there is no way they would hire anything less than top notch actors for their beloved series. I find it hard to believe that certain fans believe that part of the charm of zelda is that it continues to use outdated means of character communication.

I think some of the hype surrounding Zelda u is that it will be the very first game in Zelda to feature full voice acting. That is the game Nintendo hope will sell consoles, not just to zelda fans but to potentially new people to the series. I think that is one of the main reasons why the voice acting will be minimal in HW.

To be honest this was the title I was most expecting to have voice acting because of it's inclusion in the Dynasty Warriors series. But now that even Hyrule Warriors won't feature voice acting, I very much doubt this will happen in the Main Zelda series anytime soon, if not ever. I guess Nintendo want to keep hold of some of their Zelda traditions for good.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sucks, I don't like a lack of voice acting in games these days, and considering how many lines Mass Effect 3 had there's no excuse. :P I don't care about tradition or whatever, silent protagonists work in voice acted games (Half Life) and I want it! Is one thing I wish all games would stop. I can forgive smaller handheld titles, sure, but not big console games.

Means I need to put my glasses on, get a headache, and not be able to play for awhile. :(

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I don't really care, tbh. The only time I'll care if voice acting is there is if it's bad, in which case I'd be really disappointed because bad VA makes every cutscene thoroughly laughable and awkward to sit through.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
see an all you were worried about Link talkin HAHAHA! i knew the would keep Zelda Zelda, and DW DW, DW gameplay, Zelda formula!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I don't see the big problem; Zelda has always been like this and it's nothing new and as such it shouldn't be any major disappointment nor should it reflect badly on this spin off. Sure I guess you could make the case that spin offs can deviate away from the main course a little, but the truth is that implementing full voice acting is a big deviation. They have to maintain a little of what Zelda is just to keep it a spin off, change too much and it's a Dynasty Warriors game with a Hyrule texture pack - they want this game to be unique.

Voice acting isn't this big advancement that Nintendo aren't implementing because they're years behind games nowadays; Nintendo just do things a little different. Zelda Is all about tradition and maintaining it's charm and part of that charm is the voice acting, or lack of it. It's become such a staple that implementing it would be a huge risk to really keep that Zelda feel. We're, what, seventeen games in now? and Nintendo have stuck to their guns--chosen not to go with voice acting--and still create great subtle stories with some surprising depth and character detail.

See that's the thing though, this series doesn't need voice acting, it's perfectly fine as it is. We all know the plot is quite cliché at times and that simplicity is in a way made easier by the fact that there isn't full voice acting. Plus the series has showed that they can convey emotion and character tone without any voice acting. This really started back in The Wind Waker when the cel-shaded art style coupled with the over expressive facial features created a whole new realm of possibilities for the series. We weren't going to be stuck within this continual loop of not truly understanding Link and other main characters because now these empty shells had personality. This was built upon within Twilight Princess with more focus on detail with each character, and even further with the heavily cut scene focused Skyward Sword. Funny thing is that Nintendo has been able to create more vivid interesting personalities without the need for voice acting than most big titles on other platforms, which says a lot really.

---

So this isn't a disappointment in any way for me and it should come as no surprise. Zelda will most likely be this way for a long time. It doesn't really create a barrier stopping the series reaching that next level because this is just the way the series is and always has been and, honestly, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Triforce Hermit

Praise the Sun
Link didn't talk in Soul Caliber II, I don't see why he would now. Zelda has always done fien without voice acting, I don't see any reason for it start.

Fig

The Altruist
If voice acting was part of Hyrule Warriors, I would welcome that change because as according to Aonuma, Hyrule Warriors is part of his plan to change the Zelda formula. That said, I don't mind that Nintendo decided that there will not be any voice acting in Hyrule Warriors and for good reasons too. From a personally perspective, lack of voice acting allows it retain the Zelda charm and feel as it's always been since the original Zelda. Many might also say that it wouldn't feel right, especially for an iconic franchise as Zelda and I can understand why they would feel that way, not to mention the Philips CD-I Zelda games were quite terrible and were going to be canon Zelda games at one point in time if the voice acting that we heard in those three games was what they could offer at the time, then I don't want to see any full voice acting anytime soon. That said, we never had the ability to experience at least a decent Zelda that had good voice acting and maybe Nintendo just doesn't want to ruin Zelda with voice acting because it could potentially cripple the fandom.

While it is true that several arguments against voice acting in a Zelda is because it "wouldn't feel right' or is "part of the Zelda charm" may not be the strongest, but you may or may not no this but voice acting should be carefully selected to not upset the fans. By all means, I welcome the idea of voice acting for a future Zelda game, but I believe Nintendo doesn't want to do this from a business perspective in terms that it ruin a character's image that fans have of that character. Allow me to use an example to better point this out. Attack on Titan, by now the majority of the world knows what Attack on Titan is and many originally watched the anime in Japanese. Everyone enjoyed the voices of Eren, Mikasa, Armin, and the rest of Attack on Titan core characters because of how well it was implemented and really showed off the emotions of the characters based on the current situation they are facing. Earlier this year, we got clips and now that the English dub for Attack on Titan is airing, the fans that enjoyed the voices of Eren, Armin, and especially Mikasa are upset that the English voices don't fit the character. Personally I believe the English cast is perfect for Attack on Titan, you just give it a shot like you do with any show or television series before you actually enjoy it. It really is eye-opening that fans of Mikasa just down right say that her new voice ruins her image and doesn't fit what her character is suppose to be. The same could be said about Armin, Eren, and practically the rest of the cast simply because fans here the first clips of the respective character and immediately judge the voice without watching a few English episodes first. Granted, there are going to be people who watched Attack on Titan in English first and of course they don't mind because they wanted to see it first in English than Japanese and that is perfectly ok with that.

With Zelda however, everyone knows how Link sounds like no matter whether you live in Japan, Europe, Australia, North America, etc. If Nintendo is going to make full voice acting, then the cast has to be so perfect that no one will get upset, but that's highly unlikely that will happen because there are really some fans who get so butthurt it isn't funny. "OMG HIS VOICE IS JUST A PITCH HIGHER THAN I EXPECTED AND THUS IT RUINS LINK'S CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NINTENDO YOU RUINED ZELDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" And those are the same fans who wanted full voice acting in the first place. I'm not targeting anyone here but that's pretty much how I see when some gets way out of hand when it comes to these kind of situations. I think even Nintendo even knows this and thus is probably the main reason why we won't see full voice acting for a long time because they know that no matter what they try, there's always going to be fans who will react negatively to Nintendo's choice in voice acting for whatever reasons not to mention hinders the meaning of Link in general. In fact it's because he is a silent protagonist is not because the player is simply playing as Link, but because Link allow fans to immerse themselves into the franchise and brings a connection, a link, between the virtual world and reality. I believe that's why fans enjoy the Zelda franchise without voice acting because we all get to experience the game and at the same time create a multitude of interpretations behind Link, Zelda, Ganondorf/main villain, the lore, and everything in between what makes the Zelda franchise unique. So while I'm certain fans are disappointed with no voice acting, I don't think they should be that disappointed considering that even though it is a spin-off game it must still feel like part of the Zelda universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom