• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo= The Disney of Gaming?

With Nintendo being the oldest company out of the gaming trio do you think that one day when we're old we will pull out a Nintendo game and play it with our grandchildren (and with new technology, great-grandchildren). Just like Disney which was started in 1923 still exists today and people from that time still watch those classics. With the way Nintendo is doing now, it has. The potential to become the next Disney. Your thoughts?

Well, I don't really think that's entirely true. Sure, Nintendo is more about family-oriented gaming than BioWare or whatever. But this isn't a bad thing. The youth of today don't really need a bloody-type shooter game, although they're more than likely going to be playing those types of games anyway. Nintendo is a nice break from the violent and sexual games that we have today.

The above is true, but I wouldn't say that Nintendo has gone sappy either. They're not about to make an M rated game, but they wouldn't hesitate to make a Teen one. Like Twilight Princess or the Metroid series.

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
I think that nintendo is kid of like disney, but not really. It is one of the first and one of the most family oriented, but they do so without going out of their way. They just make games how they want to and then people and up liking them.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Absolutely. I've seen the parallels myself, as I think both companies are pioneers in their fields--and even Nintendo's best games, like Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker, Pokemon, Metroid Prime, Kirby 64, and Super Mario Galaxy, feel as much like timeless works of art as the best Disney films. They are as culturally iconic, and every bit as perfect.

I was a Sega kid growing up, so the implications of this are kind of funny for me. Would this make Sega the WB (cool) AND Dreamworks (ugh) of gaming? I shudder to think about it.

In any case, the first post is spot-on. Nintendo is the Disney of gaming.

Link8150

The 8150th Link
Well I don't know about the next Disney, but I do often wonder how long, if ever, Nintendo will last. Every single gaming company from 1970-1990 has dropped out of the "console wars" with the exception of Nintendo.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Not sure. If Nintendo survives then maybe. Right now things aren't looking too good for them, but they atleast have the 3DS to fallback on. What makes me iffy is if Nintendo is willing to change. Disney tried to adapt to the new world (although it wasn't really necessary, they were already doing good). Nintendo, however, is stubborn. Not saying that that's a good or bad thing, but sometimes when a company stays in its ways, the world leaves it behind. Disney realized that and unnecessarily changed their ways, but for Nintendo its the opposite. They need to change in some places but refuse to and that's keeping them from advancing like they should.

Not sure. If Nintendo survives then maybe. Right now things aren't looking too good for them, but they atleast have the 3DS to fallback on. What makes me iffy is if Nintendo is willing to change. Disney tried to adapt to the new world (although it wasn't really necessary, they were already doing good). Nintendo, however, is stubborn. Not saying that that's a good or bad thing, but sometimes when a company stays in its ways, the world leaves it behind. Disney realized that and unnecessarily changed their ways, but for Nintendo its the opposite. They need to change in some places but refuse to and that's keeping them from advancing like they should.

Nintendo is doing pretty darn well last I checked.

Worldwide sales figures
Wii – 94.97 million as of 31 December 2011
PlayStation 3 – 69 million as of 2 November 2011
Xbox 360 – 65.8 million as of 12 January 2012

The Wii has outsold it's next nearest competitor by 15 million. Nintendo might not be as popular with the "hardcore" gamers as it once was but it's not in any danger of dying out any time soon.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
I sincerely hope that they don't become the disney of gaming. Just look at the quality of Disney's material lately. It's trash aimed at mindless little girls made just for the sake of making money. They're pure evil. As much as I dislike some of the decisions Nintendo has made, I don't think they would fall as low as Di$ney has.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Earlier works by Nintendo can definitely be related to earlier works by Disney. However, Disney today continues to make masterpieces. Nintendo doesn't. While I can sit through Toy Story 3, Princess and the Frog and so many other Disney movies of today, I cannot stomach Skyward Sword or anything relatively new of Nintendo. I just don't know what it is.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Earlier works by Nintendo can definitely be related to earlier works by Disney. However, Disney today continues to make masterpieces. Nintendo doesn't. While I can sit through Toy Story 3, Princess and the Frog and so many other Disney movies of today, I cannot stomach Skyward Sword or anything relatively new of Nintendo. I just don't know what it is.

Wow. Super Mario Galaxy, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Donkey Kong Country Returns aren't masterpieces in your book? That's kind of hard to imagine.

The only Disney movie I've seen recently that approaches a "masterpiece" is Tangled. I actually thought that movie was better than The Little Mermaid. Other than that, I can't think of a single Disney movie in the past ten years or, hell, since The Lion King that's measured up to the early features or the Disney Renaissance. Pixar's great, but I don't quite count that as Disney.

On the other hand, Nintendo's been remarkably consistent. The Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64 were high points, sure, but the only notable low points in the past few years were Super Mario Sunshine and Twilight Princess--both of which, I think, were less than perfect because they were too far removed from the tone of their respective franchises (Twilight Princess, specifically, was way to obvious in its attempts to be Western).

Nintendo's best when it's being Nintendo--when it's appealing to the core sense of fun that drove its early success in arcades and in the console industry. Disney's at its best when it's not trying to be Dreamworks--it's best when it's following the template set by Walt Disney himself, specifically for feature films.

Nintendo is like Disney because Nintendo has given us Ocarina of Time and Disney has given us Beauty and the Beast. The parallels don't have much to do with trajectories. Nintendo's been far more consistent than Disney, with few bad games and no outright disasters, but it's also been relevant for a shorter amount of time.

Last edited:

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
Random Person said:

I disagree, Random Person. You mention the 3DS in a positive light, however, you seem to have no idea of just how successful it currently is. The system's first year sales outpaced those of the Nintendo DS during the same period 2:1. What exactly does Nintendo need to change? Its online policy? The company is already doing that. Its stance towards third parties? Nintendo is clearly endeavoring to return to its former relations with them as was true during the Gamecube/Game Boy Advance Generation. Its recent over reliance on touch and motion control? Those same control methods have now become common in other types of media across the globe.

Norm

God-King of Teh Intarwebz
Clearly in ur tube, blockin ur internets.
Nintendo is guaranteed to fail, simply because history has shown that everything will, but I don't think that it will happen anytime soon. So, yes, I would consider Nintendo the Disney of gaming, although there are multiple reasons why I wouldn't use those two in an analogy.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
With Nintendo being the oldest company out of the gaming trio do you think that one day when we're old we will pull out a Nintendo game and play it with our grandchildren (and with new technology, great-grandchildren). Just like Disney which was started in 1923 still exists today and people from that time still watch those classics. With the way Nintendo is doing now, it has. The potential to become the next Disney. Your thoughts?

So long as we're talking about the Disney of around ten years ago and before, I agree with you. Truth be told I otherwise don't feel that Disney has been all that consistent with their contemporary industry (Tangled was the latest true mark of their magical legacy for me). Unlike them, Nintendo has stayed true to themselves. They've continued to produce classical games, although some systems of gameplay formulas might be rehashed or feebly improved on. Nevertheless some additional element's always driven them beyond any/total stagnancy. Modern Disney, however, namely Disney Channel, is striving at being called entertaining, and much less magical or classical.

But comparing Nintendo to Disney a decade ago, I can see where you're getting at. Nintendo is this because it gives us memorable games that never run out of replay value. They're timeless to us just like Disney's classics. I could watch Lion King and play Majora's Mask sporadically for the rest of my life and never grow tired of them, if only at this point. Games and movies don't need mature themes to be like that, and it's pitiful to see it come like that. For me, there was more magic and memory in a simple story that didn't wasn't laden with all that junk you'd find in most M-rated games and almost all movies nowadays.

Indeed, Nintendo and the Disney of old stand out in those respects, and are therefore comparable in my eyes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom