• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch Successor Teased / Rumored Details.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
So it’s almost time. The other day we finally got official confirmation that the successor to the Switch is on its way. The only official news that we have is that it’s going to use the same account system as the Switch (which probably means that NSO is going to carry over in some way).

In addition, an insider has stated that the new console is around the same level as the Xbox One and PS4 power wise, which seems to be about right.

Last edited:

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
Nintendo had two generations of consoles at Gamecube levels of power, now two generations at 360/PS3 level, so I fully expect two generations at PS4/Xbox One level. That rumor makes sense to me.

Nintendo Accounts transferring over is a good thing. No more hard resets and download games finally carry over.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Considering Nintendo's track record this falls firmly into the believe it when I see it category. Nintendo has yet to keep accounts between platforms, so I'm skeptical they'll do it this time around.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Hopefully it uses the same cartridges as the Switch, or at least has a slot for backwards compatibility. I'm also curious as to what sort of gimmick it'll have, since pretty much every Nintendo console N64 onward has had some defining gimmick. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make more of a focus on power and performance, I wouldn't really care about it as long as the games were fun though.

Real question is how long before Skyrim gets ported to it.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Uhh

Being a cube

Having small discs

Its quirkiness I guess.
I heard my friend say this in high school and that still doesn't make a lick of sense

the main thing that matters I think is backwards compatibility, it would be a giant mistake for them to start all over again, so this account news seems like a good sign for thst

It would be cool for the Switch Succesor to have backwards compatibility but why would they do that? The best selling game on Switch is a Wii U re-release (Mario Kart 8).

Nintendo could just say - Whoops, sorry. Backwards compatibility "was not possible" on the Switch Succesor - And re-re-release Mario Kart Deluxe with all of the Switch´s DLCs. Call the game "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe+ Definitive Edition" and sell it to us at full price for a third time.

A lot of youtubers are talking about the Switch Succesor. While I think the specualtion is fun (to a point), maybe we should start talking about the PS6/ Xbox Series successor (with a really bad name probably) / "Switch 3" already.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It would be cool for the Switch Succesor to have backwards compatibility but why would they do that? The best selling game on Switch is a Wii U re-release (Mario Kart 8).

Nintendo could just say - Whoops, sorry. Backwards compatibility "was not possible" on the Switch Succesor - And re-re-release Mario Kart Deluxe with all of the Switch´s DLCs. Call the game "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe+ Definitive Edition" and sell it to us at full price for a third time.

A lot of youtubers are talking about the Switch Succesor. While I think the specualtion is fun (to a point), maybe we should start talking about the PS6/ Xbox Series successor (with a really bad name probably) / "Switch 3" already.
Backwards compatibility would be a cool move so people can keep playing their Switch games while moving onto a new system, but that sort of thing really isn't Nintendo's style. Stuff like NSO has taught them that they don't need to worry about carrying purchases forward, because they can just draw people into a subscription service.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Backwards compatibility would be a cool move so people can keep playing their Switch games while moving onto a new system, but that sort of thing really isn't Nintendo's style. Stuff like NSO has taught them that they don't need to worry about carrying purchases forward, because they can just draw people into a subscription service.
5 of their 9 successor consoles have been backwards compatible with the previous gen. 6 out of 10 if you count the GBC. The’ve technically had more backwards compatible consoles than either Xbox or PlayStation, albeit only because they’ve had more consoles in general.

Also, there is precedent for Nintendo allowing purchases to transfer over. Both the Wii U and 3DS allowed you to transfer data from the Wii and DSI respectively, so it not being “their style” is incorrect

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
5 of their 9 successor consoles have been backwards compatible with the previous gen. 6 out of 10 if you count the GBC. The’ve technically had more backwards compatible consoles than either Xbox or PlayStation, albeit only because they’ve had more consoles in general.

Also, there is precedent for Nintendo allowing purchases to transfer over purchases. Both the Wii U and 3DS allowed you to transfer data from the Wii and DSI respectively, so it not being “their style” is incorrect
At the moment the Nintendo track record for consistent backwards compatibility is pretty bad. While something like Xbox has backwards compatibility on the Series S/X going all the way back to the original Xbox, Nintendo is the sort of keep you lockstep if you're one generation out of sorts.

And while I might be off, I recall the Wii U and the Wii using separate login information. Gonna be buying those retro games again if you wanna play them. Heck, the Wii U actually removed Gamecube compatibility and could only have it re-enabled via homebrew.

And I don't recall a virtual console games that you could migrate from one console to another.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion

b/c the switch has thousands upon thousands of games and a ginormous installbase, it would be absolutely ludicrous to not let your users be able to access their previous software

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom