• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Ideas for Zelda Games

I think that in order to keep the series going aside from saleability there should be new and intriguing elements.
First, I think that Link should have a choice to become the hero or not.
Second, I think there should be a playable mode where you can play from Ganon's point of view. People might ask why; well I think that people think that Ganon is dumb because he always loses but then why not make a quest where you can play as ganon and actually win.
Thirdly, I think that there need to be voice actors or an interaction with the player.
Fourthly, I think a nice element would be playing from Zelda's perspective so that she can be the tomboy that she is described as being in OoT. Why not make zelda that hero and link can assist.
Fifthly, I think link should get a companion if not zelda then someone who isn't pointing out the obvious( i.e. Midna, Red Lions, Navi, "MM fairy") I think that the character's companion should interact. What do you think we should do now Link. Versus the giggly midna or the "hey" of navi. The companion should present a kinship with the player because it would make the story more complex.
Lastly, I think that Link should be allowed to lose. Good winning over evil is an outdated archetype. If Links always wins no matter what the evil character does then what kind of a game is that? In addition to that I think that Link should get married or get a life. Yes, he is the Hero of Time but after sealing ganon in the adult timeline doesn't he deserve a life? Those are my thoughts any comment let's discuss

Ariel

Think for yourself.
Umm, I dunno about half of these, as a Zelda conservative (I'm liberal minded otherwise) I believe they should steer away from the RPG elements. i.e. choose between hero and non-hero, who he marries, what he does, etc.

Secondly, Link is supposed to be a "link" between the player and the game world - playing as Ganon or Zelda would sever any closeness towards Link's character. But I like that idea where you have temporary control over something or someone, like the Goron in PH, but very temporary, as if you were just telling them what to do, but not "Being" them.
I even have reservations for voice acting, all these years playing the Zelda games I've, and I'm sure most of you, have created your own voices, or at least ideas of voices that the characters speak with, and if Nintendo produces voices that don't correspond, then POP goes my little bubble of Zelda canon. Some people don't even like it when names are pronounced differently from what they think they're pronounced like. I may tolerate voice acting, but definitely NO for Link, he is a silent protagonist.

Thirdly, Zelda games evolve, so that each game experiments with new game mechanics and keeps the ones that work, while scrapping or tweaking the one's that won't. These ideas seem very radical. They could probably be implemented in a Majora's Mask side game in my meaningless and un-professional opinion.

Ok, here's my ideas:

* Give Link a variety of moves, like Mario in the SMG series who has a variety of jumps and moves and abilities, some relevant and useful, and some irrelevant and merely novelty. This could expand the game without making it RPG'ish.

* Expand on the Hidden Skills stuff, that'll expand the sword combat without reducing it to simple numbers as in many RPG's.

* Bigger overworld, longer game. I want more Zelda for my buck.

* Maybe make more than one quest per game, or remix the game the second time like in the original LoZ.

* Possibly to be more radical, Co-op optional gameplay, maybe, no? Forget i said it then.

* Orchestrated music!!!!!!

* Make the hint system optional too! Hey Listen, no shutup! K, thanx.

That's it.

sorry twilipower, i agree with Ariel
i think zelda should stear clear of generic RPG elements...like chosing endings and what not
Ariel's "Link" to the player point was exactly what i was thinking

while those ideas would make a good game...i don't think they'd make a ZELDA game

agreeing with some and altering depth of others

I am glad someone sees the possibilities of my ideas I also agree with ariel that the zelda games need to be longer and being so you can add depth maybe even finalizing the time and fixing any holes in timeline theories.

I mean I know people complain about AoL but it was a decent game. I also think that ariel makes some good points. I really want a co-op type game play because it would help you along. that's part of the point I was trying to get across about the obvious pointers I think that it could be extended not just optional and that link should have a decent companion

I mean I know people complain about AoL but it was a decent game. I also think that ariel makes some good points. I really want a co-op type game play because it would help you along. that's part of the point I was trying to get across about the obvious pointers I think that it could be extended not just optional and that link should have a decent companion

well, this turned out well...i love Zelda Dungeon
conversations that don't degrade into rage fests FTW!
co-op would be interesting, mabye in a four swords style (co-op + competition) XD

T

Tily

Hmm, I understand what you're saying, Twili, but I don't see a lot of those ideas working in a Zelda game. Making some changes- even big ones- is one thing, but playing from a different perspective radically alters the game into being something it's not. I think if we're gonna add a different character's quest in the game, it shouldn't be its own game but instead within the main game's quest. Let's say we reach a point where we find Ganondorf and fight him and win or lose (whichever). Cue the cutscene after the battle, drama ensues, and then we see a flashback where we go back to when Ganondorf was, oh I dunno, maybe infiltrating Hyrule or something. We can play through that segment as Ganon and learn about what he had to do to get where he was at.

I love when games implement that flashback technique and make it work because it totally changes the pacing and makes you feel like you're playing a new game all over again. Maybe it'd work... I dunno, if it doesn't then it's just one idea I have, hehe. ^_^

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I have been writing a multichapter fan fiction that takes the premise of playing a Zelda game as Ganondorf. It was inspired by similiar discussion on this board:

The Legend of Zelda: The Rise of Evil

(As of this post, it is six chapters. I plan on topping it out at eight).

It's supposed to be, roughtly, a portrayl of scenarios that would happen in a Ganondorf-game, with added worldbuilding and character development because it *is* a fan fanfiction/novel type thing.

P

Pete16

We have heard of a war in Hyrule. why not make a new one, and lett Link take part of it, It cpuld be as a soldier or as a commander. Hvae big or small battle scenes when Link an other soldiers attack an evil camp or defend Hyrule Castle from moblins and other enemies from the Zelda Universe.

This is just one of my many thoughts but it could be fun to do something new in a Zelda game.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
I disagree, altering the Zelda formula a little is fine but all of that sounds like you want a completely new game.

In addition to that I think that Link should get married or get a life. Yes, he is the Hero of Time but after sealing ganon in the adult timeline doesn't he deserve a life?

That sounds like Harvest Moon or something. And why go as far as extending the game to control what happens in the years after he defeats Ganondorf? This isn't Animal Crossing.

ApcolypticMufin

Fan of Zelda & Bioshock!
I like the idea of adding some RPG elements to the game, like branching conversations or story-line related decisions, but the idea of having a whole other side of the game where you live out Link's life (as Cel-Shaded Deku put it, very Animal Crossing-ish) just doesn't seem like Zelda. Maybe, as you continue your quest, you could have some battles n' such and depending on whether you win or lose, or something more major like causing a certain town's destruction, can affect how the citizens of Hyrule view you. Maybe you had an agreement to help out a band of Gorons defend a part of Death Mountain, so now when you help them in there little scuffle (that is if you help them at all) you might win or lose the battle. This could result in the Goron tribe liking you more or less and making it easier or harder to obtain there help in future endeavors. (think the "faction system". If you've never heard of it, watch this very informative video) If this general idea is ever implemented, I can only expect that something like Elder Scrolls IV would ensue. Where depending on your disposition with certain races or towns, more story-important sequences will be easier or harder because you have either a whole race or town fighting with you, or completely disregarding your cry for help. (or maybe, something in between? ;)) This would be a welcome system IMO and would add alot of depth and replayability to the games.

As for other aspects, playing parts of the game as other characters to deepen the story is definitely on the "want" list. Basically, I completely agree with Tily in this regard! These should be simple sequences within the story, not there own separate ones.

Onto a note that you didn't cover, I would like to see more than just one on one battles with basic enemies taking up 100% of the fighting in the games. While these definitely have there place, I think that really huge battle sequences should ensue! I'm not just talking about like 4v4 fights, but a full on War! If you've ever played Heroes: Kingdom Under Fire, think that! Sequences like that would be incredibly engaging and would make you feel like the weight of Hyrule is actually on your shoulders and not make you think that the armies of Hyrule are just constantly sitting out these "nation-wide" wars.

So, these are some changes that I would like to see! Anyone got anything to add? :suspicious:

I think they should make the games longer, and have cooler items, and they should make it so you can have more than 20 hearts. Thats what I think, and nice thread by the way! :)

L

LeetFox

your ideas are cool but hows this for an idea: A Link In Time Link would team up with (or call for the power and strength of) all the past Links in order to defeat the power of a villein that is all his past foes rolled into one (or some thing along toughs lines). Another cool idea would be a zelda rpg were link would team up with Ganon(dorf) and the Majora's mask to defeat a greater evil then the Ganon and Majora combined.

your ideas are cool but hows this for an idea: A Link In Time Link would team up with (or call for the power and strength of) all the past Links in order to defeat the power of a villein that is all his past foes rolled into one (or some thing along toughs lines). Another cool idea would be a zelda rpg were link would team up with Ganon(dorf) and the Majora's mask to defeat a greater evil then the Ganon and Majora combined.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Zelda games exactly the way they are: intuitive and creative :) so as long as new concepts for the games are like this, then by all means...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom