• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nearly dead online.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
You ever have that game that had some online. Though it is sadly nearly dead so it takes forever to get a match? I'm currently doing TIR on Dead Rising 2. I want the online trophies. Yet it is hard just to get a room. I hate online trophies.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
It's happened with a couple MMOs I've played. And it happens a lot in recent Tomb Raider's Multiplayer. Shocking that such a recent game has an essentially abandoned multiplayer. The multiplayer's worst flaw is actually how the incredibly tiny pool of people playing it is dominated by a few people who are so insanely good at the game that they always win, ALWAYS, by a ridiculous degree and it's almost impossible to even take them down in a match.
Every single match you do play is inevitably like this:
funny-call-of-duty-in-a-nut-shell-megalawlz-picture-pictures-animated-gif.gif

A select few elite players camp out on its multiplayer and constantly play and it's impossible to find a match that doesn't have one of them in it. And their insanely-inplausible-inhuman levels of skill always make the matches completely lacking in fun. If you are on their team, it's way too easy and you get bored. If they are against you, you just lose and there is no fun when the outcome is rigged from the start. If there are at least two and they're on opposite teams, all other players are irrelevant and you don't really contribute and it is therefore no fun.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
This is but one of the MANY reasons I stopped playing CoD. I remember when Black Ops came out ... I got it on launch day, after work. When I got home, there were people already prestiged. IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS. F that. I hate them. I hate CoD.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
If it wasn't for the fact that i dislike most first person shooters. Oddly enough i can find Dirge of Cereberus somewhat enjoyable. Maybe the customization. Hmm Hd FF7 collection. The three games and maybe the movie in there.

I got off track. Anywho if I enjoyed that more I'd possibly enjoy the insane skill levels that the players could bring. Yet again i'm insane and love a challenge most of the time. I love a match in Smash that the character can wreck me for awhile and then i start my comeback. Or just keep getting wrecked and i just try to insanely improve.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
This is why I always get games I intend to play online Day One. Nothing worse than buying a game to discover a dead community; like not so long ago I nabbed Titanfall, and finding a game in anything but 1 or 2 gamemodes was impossible. :( And it looked so fun!

Only the great online games tend to thrive after a lot of time has passed, like COD4 still having a very active community on PC, and of course Counter-Strike too.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Only the great online games tend to thrive after a lot of time has passed, like COD4 still having a very active community on PC, and of course Counter-Strike too.

Counter Strike FTW.

I'm really only good at Mario Kart. I mean, I'm VERY good at Mario Kart, but that's the only one. I suck at Smash, and I get really frustrated when I'm playing with friends and they're just owning me. Like I get it ... you're good. Congrats. But you know, it's more fun if you don't pick your best character and fight me like we're playing for money or something. I suck at other fighting games as well. And shooters, I just don't care enough to try to get good, not that I would get good even if I tried.

This is why I very much prefer single player games. Because I want to play for fun, not for glory. Unless it's Mario Kart. Then it's always business.

When I started playing MAG on a PS3 it was extremely popular, but a few months later I needed cash so I sold my PS3. Eventually I got another, and another copy of MAG. I was already deep into the trophies, and I really only needed about 5 more, but this was about 2-3 years later and the game was not as popular as it once was. To make matters worse, some of the better modes for getting trophies were in the 256 player maps, which were becoming less common as it was hard to fill most of those slots. And even worse than that was the fact that in order to get the most time consuming trophy, I just needed one medal from the DLC which was basically NEVER played since very few people had it at this point.

Well long story short, I eventually got all of them, the last one I needed being one of the basically never played DLC maps. I'd say for staying on an entire day a DLC map might get played once. I finally got in one, and during this, I completed all the requirements to get the last medal I needed, besides one last objective capture. So with less than 1 minute remaining, I basically had to capture an objective or risk never getting the opportunity again. I managed to get in the right spot for a capture, but CRAP! My teammate was capturing the objective and there was just seconds remaining! I had no choice but to knife my teammate in the back and kill him. He proceeded to scream at me via proxy chat, but it was worth it :D. PLATINUM.

Anyway, MAG is probably the best MP shooter I've ever played. Sad that it's gone forever.

Dan

Yeah this is a huge and sad con for Multiplayer games in general. It's quite sad that Multiplayer is the main focus for many games nowadays, and only because it's the most profitable way of funding a game. (See Bioshock 2 for having tact on Multiplayer) A good single player can keep you coming back to it again and again, but with games like CoD etc you need to move along with the herd and never look back to have the best multiplayer experience, which of course means throwing more cash at the next game.

Some old multiplayer games do keep a small community, but like Matt said that small community will be insanely good as they've stuck with the game, making it difficult for new comers to get their foot in the door. I wish more games could follow the model that Team Fortress 2 uses, sticking to the same game, but constantly updating it so it's always fresh, plus allowing user made content prevents a multiplayer from becoming stagnant.

I think MP gaming was actually better back in the day. Good games didn't come out nearly as often, so you had a lot more time for a community to grow before everyone started jumping ship to the next big thing. I spent a good 2-4 years playing nothing but Doom and Twisted Metal 2, 4+ years playing Starcraft 1 and Diablo II, and a good 4 years of playing Counter Strike. Very few games last that long anymore.

Reactions: Dan

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Yeah this is a huge and sad con for Multiplayer games in general. It's quite sad that Multiplayer is the main focus for many games nowadays, and only because it's the most profitable way of funding a game. (See Bioshock 2 for having tact on Multiplayer) A good single player can keep you coming back to it again and again, but with games like CoD etc you need to move along with the herd and never look back to have the best multiplayer experience, which of course means throwing more cash at the next game.

Some old multiplayer games do keep a small community, but like Matt said that small community will be insanely good as they've stuck with the game, making it difficult for new comers to get their foot in the door. I wish more games could follow the model that Team Fortress 2 uses, sticking to the same game, but constantly updating it so it's always fresh, plus allowing user made content prevents a multiplayer from becoming stagnant.
I didn't put much thought into this migrating multiplayer community before, but yeah, this is a big reason why I don't play Call of Duty now that I think on it. Aside from, on principle, despising how it's the exact same game re-released over and over again, all the multiplayers (which are identical) are independently hosted on the servers from game to game. I typically wait for a game to come on sale before buying it. And... well.. for a Call of Duty game, since they push out a clone every year, so by then its multiplayer is abandoned and the herd has moved onto the next one and the older game's multiplayer, which is the only reason anyone even gets these games for anyway, is entirely dead and useless, populated only by impossibly talented players who destroy all sense of fun.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
I'm happy. I got all the Trophies from the Dead Rising 2 TiR. Took forever since I suck at Zomboni. Now for the online Multiplayer co-op trophies. Which I can take my time to do since my brother also has the game and can go online. Since my Vacation is soon. I'll see if he wants to help me out.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Lost Planet 1 and 2, amazing games, best in the genre, But they've been around for so long, that people don't play online much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom