• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art National Anthem (Smash Bros. Hunger Games-style)

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Posted under "Zelda" because my main/PoV-character is one of the Links.

Disclaimers and Notes: Super Smash Bros. and related characters belong to Nintendo. Some of the other concepts I am borrowing belong to Suzanne Collins. I give many apologies to the owners of both properties. Why am I doing this? Because the world is weird; that’s why. Also, boredom. This story-concept is SSMB in the *style* of The Hunger Games, but not directly a crossover. This is more of a hybrid, focusing on SSMB’s characters. I’ve seen it done before – for good reason, as even before THG was known, fans were treating SSMB as gladiatorial combat, making a cute series of games into something darker. I am striving to make my vision of it unique. Please forgive the ridiculousness of this – unless, of course, the ridiculousness is why you’re reading it.

NATIONAL ANTHEM

Metal sounds rang in my ears, the noise that metal makes when it hits flesh. I saw a sword in my hand dripping with green monster-blood. This was familiar, a piece of my life as it once was. Sword-song morphed into the hollow sound of an arrow cutting the air followed by a dull thump. I pulled the shaft out of my target and watched the red blood of a human body glisten on the point. I knew whose blood it was and refused to look at his face. After that, I saw the gleam of a guillotine-blade and heard the heavy noise of it coming down.

I shot up in bed and pawed my neck. There was thumping at my door.

“Toki! Toki, time to rise and shine!”

I spat an obscure Old Hylian curse and I really meant it even though I knew she couldn’t understand it. Peach really could have all those things done to her by an octorock and I wouldn’t care. I reached for the half-full bottle of Chateau Romani on the dresser by my bed and rolled over sheets and blankets covered in my own sickness.

Ah, yes… I must have passed out last night. There are empty bottles with droplets of red potion in them everywhere, and of course what is left of the fine Chateau I was offered. That year was a good year...

Why, no, I do not have a drinking problem. It’s more like the drinking has a problem with me. If I overindulged last night, it’s because I do at this time every year. If you had my life, you wouldn’t judge me. Some of my fellows do much harder stuff. I stay far away from the “rare candies” because I’m afraid the trip would be like my dreams. “Milk” before bed has the pleasant dulling effect that I seek.

I manage to drag myself up and go to the sink to wash up and shave. I pass by the shelf where a picture sits depicting the two of us – my brother and me. One is a fresh-faced young man; the other is a long-dead child. Both of us died much too young.

I used to be a hero in a bygone age – “The Hero of Time,” they called me. Nowadays, I don’t even go by my own name, half the time. My colleagues have nicknamed me “Toki,” a name meaning “Time” in one of their languages. Officially, I am Link Kokirin. It’s a bit unusual, but not the oddest name I’ve ever heard.

“Toki!” I hear at the door again.

“Keep your crown on, Sweetheart!” I shout as I pull on my dress-tunic. Our lovely liaison, Peach Toadstool. Now that’s a stupid name. She always had fluff for brains, even before the Brawls. She’d been given a place in Smash City and a cushy job, which she did with gusto every year. Too bad her position had cost the woman her soul. I cannot hate her, not really. To be honest, I think Miss Peach is too stupid to ever be truly evil. Oblivious… yeah, that describes her style best.

“If you’re hung-over in there, I’m sending in someone with the wake-up juice!”

I send the door flying open. Peach lets out a short little scream and cowers. Maybe it’s the circles under my eyes that scare her – or the death-glare. I’ve been told that I have a mean death-glare.

“Um,” Peach fidgets, “Are you ready to meet with the other Champions? They’re all waiting in the Viewing Room – and they were on time, I might add, Toki.”

“I ain’t a hero of that element anymore, darlin’,” I reply. “We all ceased to be heroes the moment we let ourselves become slaves.”

“Oh, don’t let our great President hear you say that, Toki!” Peach gasped.

“It’s not like I have much more to lose,” I pointed out as we walked down the halls of the hotel that has been rented out for the Champions. “Besides, is the President going to be joining us this year?”

“No, but you should still watch your tongue!”

We enter the Viewing Room – a grand ballroom with huge video screens set up on one wall and a banquet table in the center. The selection of the next crop of fighters had not yet begun. I make my way to the table, straight for some bread and jam as well as a shot of Goron Firewhiskey. Yeah, the caterers knew I was coming. I clap Mario on the back. He and I go way back. A good drinking-buddy, though the poison mushrooms are his mind-fogger of choice. They’re mighty potent, but he keeps them under better control than I do my addictions.

“How’s my favorite turd-herder?” I say.

“How’s my favorite fairy-boy?” he laughs.

Friendly insults are our way. Mario used to be a plumber before he came into the fighting life. I used to have a fairy as a friend as a child back in my own world, so his banter isn’t really an insult and, even as a jab at sexuality, that kind of thing isn’t even an issue among our group. In fact, given the situation of the world, most of us are not interested in romance at all. We all know, through bitter experience, to keep our attachments to a minimum.

I spy Marth over in a corner, leaning up against a wall. He and I sometimes talk about swords…

All of us are gathered here for a special reason. We are veteran fighters. The survivors.

The Tournaments used to be a happy affair. The various worlds that each of us is from used to be loosely connected and we used to gather here, in Smash City, to fight for glory and honor and above all… fun. It’s hard to believe now that years ago, we used to actually fight for fun. Back then, the Tournaments were run by a pair of mysterious giant hands, with Master Hand overseeing it all. They were wonderful fights, really – matches of two to four of us at a time, and amazingly silly. We were given magically-enhanced food for quick energy and a variety of bizarre weapons. There were safety systems on the arenas, so none of us were ever seriously hurt and if any of us took a “fatal” wound, we would be frozen into the form of a trophy, which Master Hand could bring back to life at a touch. There were many protections and all who had lost a match would be there to congratulate the winner – or to pout… whatever we felt more inclined to do.

All that changed when Ganondorf took over.

Sometime after the grand Melee’ Tournament, my adversary had used strange and powerful sorceries to seal away the Hands and to sunder our worlds. They were all under his sway now, with a few areas even being divided. There were two Hyrules, for instance, New Hyrule and Old Hyrule, neither of them the Hyrule which was home to me.

Ganondorf, who called himself the President of this nation of Ninten, reformed in his image, entertained himself and the roaring crowds of Smash City with a new kind of fighting Tournament – one of death. He called these tournaments the Brawls of Honor. All of the safety systems were turned off. Instead of a series of small fights that built up to determine fighters’ places on the roster, all the chosen fighters were put into one arena and left for weeks to survive it out and to fight until one remained alive.

We tried to rebel… at first… those of us who were there in the beginning… the Melee-veterans. Our worlds were broken for it. We were broken. The people we’d loved were broken. My world was destroyed. These served as an example of Ganondorf’s power. Somewhere along the line, even the “best” of us, if you can call us that, decided that the Brawls were a better sacrifice than the alternatives.

Fighters for any new Brawl were chosen at random from the populations of our various worlds. Sometimes, two or three fighters were chosen from a given world, sometimes, only one. The demographics were apparently kept that way to make it interesting. One year, two from this world, and one from that, with no restrictions upon the random draw. The Brawls were made up of adult warriors – veterans of the “story” of their world (for each of our worlds was loosely connected to a greater story, a world outside of the one of our current Ninten that we all knew about and were promised we might return to someday). Just as easily and as often, children were forced to join the fray - even sapient animals.

I see Pikachu sitting on a chair, wearing a paper party hat ironically. He was the victor from the land of Kanto in the region populated by creatures known as pokemon. He’d been dismissed by everyone watching his Brawl, and, even today, other Champions didn’t think much of him, but I knew him well. He was a tactical genius and an expert on electricity. He talked in poke-speak, but if one was patient enough to learn a little bit of it, one could discover his formidable mind. He’d become a Champion by utilizing the features of the arena he’d been placed in. A simple spool of wire that had been left in the area by the prep-team by mistake had become his clever trap. His opponents had thought that he was scurrying around in a panic, a dumb mouse fleeing their traps when he’d been, in fact, laying one of his own. I admired his intelligence, although I didn’t like to think what had happened to his fellow fighters. Their deaths had been horrible.

Kirby… ugh. Seeing him across the room immediately sends me the other way. I’m not the only one creeped out by the little pink puffball. He has a deceptively cute, soft look, but he isn’t known to us as The Cannibal for nothing. I still have nightmares from the time we watched his Brawl. He’d engulf the other combatants in his gaping maw. I’ve heard that he’d once used his appetite for heroic purposes. I remember in the innocent Melee tournament how he used to suck someone into his mouth only to spit them back out, taking only certain skills as a copy-move. In his “Brawl of Honor,” he’d suck in a person only to keep them inside, digesting them. They’d digest quickly, too. In an instant, someone would become a meal for Kirby, inflating him to a huge size. He’d resembled a python that had eaten a pig – just a huge lump in his belly – and within a few minutes, he’d deflate, that person gone. He’d spat up one fighter, partially digested… gray and burned and twitching.

My bread and jam almost came back up.

Cranky Kong rocks in a rocking chair. He’s one of the old timers – he used to be known as Donkey Kong before passing the name on to succeeding generations. There’s Falco, last year’s winner, a new Champion. His victory was something of a foregone conclusion, due to his having been a military-man. Or bird. He was an anthropomorphic bird of prey – and a space-fighter-pilot.

Sauntering about the room like silk was the one we all call “The Princess,” or, more specifically, the “Princess of Darkness.” She’d won the year before last – the Champion of Old Hyrule. Tall, mysterious, and draped in long robes, she was Midna – a sorceress from the Twilight Realm, a portion of Old Hyrule that was magically cut off from its mainland. She kept to herself and was known to us to be very fierce. I wasn’t as reluctant to share space with her as I was with Kirby, as she seemed to have some honor. What had spurred her to win her Brawl was the death of an ally she had made in the great ruined castle that had been her arena. Red was a rare human chosen from Kanto – Pikachu’s world. I’d been watching with Mario in one of Smash City’s bars as she and the boy had bonded over animal-training, a shared interest. It was only after he’d killed that she’d shown her ruthless side, systematically tracking down and slaughtering those that had killed him. Her final opponent, Zant – a man from her very same world, hard borne the brunt of her rage. She’d caused a sort of explosive reaction in his body after storing up her magic. It was the strangest death I’d ever seen, and that’s saying something because I’ve killed some very bizarre monsters in my time that did not go quietly.

I suppose I knew more about Midna, fact-wise, than most of my fellow champions. I knew Mario pretty well, as a personal friend, but as far as the rest went, I never registered too much information about them. Their worlds were strange to me. Midna, however, was of the Old Hyrule, which, supposedly – in its “story,” at least, was a land descended from my lost home. It was rumored that she’d fallen in love with a person who was my successor in that world, or who was supposed to be. He’d taken up my clothing-style and my sword-techniques. I was supposed to have a successor in New Hyrule, as well; a young one who’d played his story-mode in honor of mine.

The story-worlds… yes. It was said that once the denizens of Smash City were entertained to the full that we had a chance to return to our true homelands. As it was, we all felt the “stories” in our bones, even as we were unable to live them. I’d lived a few of my stories. Mario had lived a few of his. It seemed like us old-timers were lucky. Some had not lived their stories yet – but lived with the ache that they existed for them to return to. They were worlds that lived in the best of our dreams. Smash City was like a nightmare that we were all trying desperately to wake up from.

The national anthem plays and we turn our attentions to the great screens.

“Ah, it looks like they’re a’ doing my world first this year,” Mario comments from his place beside me. We see an aerial shot of a great plaza… Delfino, I think it was, where many people in mushroom-hats and various odd creatures mill about. Announcer Lakitu putts about on his cloud. He’d been in charge of selections from the Mushroom Kingdom last year. He pulls a random slip of paper from his cloud.

My friend has gone white from anticipation. He holds his hat in his hands, wadding it up, wringing it like a towel. Mario was desperately afraid that one of these Tournaments would see a drawing up of his younger brother. Luigi was a capable fighter, but something of a gentle soul. Ever since the Tournaments had turned deadly, Mario had developed a protective big-brother instinct that bordered on paranoia.

I cannot say I blame him. I lost my own brother. It leaves a hole in you.

The name of the latest victim of Ganondorf’s games was read.

“Bowser Miyahon.”

It was announced that he was the only denizen of the former Mushroom Kingdom that was to be chosen for this Brawl of Honor. Mario breathes a sigh of relief.

“He’s strong,” I say, “He’ll have a good shot of making it through.”

“I only care if I can get him to fight with some honor,” my friend states, putting his hat back on. “I don’ta know with that one.”

“You’ll know a feeling I have not… having someone you mentored win.”

“You have many strong people in your kingdom,” Mario tries to assure me. “The people of the sea and the people of the rails.”

“I think I’ll just tell mine to run and hide,” I sigh.

“Not fitting for the avatar of courage,” Mario remarks. What he says is true, but I don’t let it sting. I’d seen too many of “mine” bite it. Either they were underfed, or out of luck, or carried too much honor and ended up dying stupidly rather than do what they thought was wrong. High-falutin’ morals don’t carry you very far in a Brawl. Last year was probably the worst. I’d taught a strong young lady pirate by the name of Aviel how to get food down out of trees by rolling into them. She’d employed this to great effect until she’d hit a tree with a bee’s nest. By the time she was retrieved, she looked more like a pile of potatoes than the Gerudo she’d once been. The year before that, I’d lucked into a pair of Sages – Fado and Laruto. Instead of listening to my advice, they’d just made a suicide pact and killed each other as soon as they’d hit the arena because they’d decided to die together than be forced to murder people. The scared connections and holy magic of Sages mean nothing when they’re pacifists.

Another screen, another world and a different announcer… this time a cold, robotic voice…

“Samus Aran.”

And another…

A decidedly reptilian hiss…

“Donkey and Diddy of the Kong Clan…”

I watch Midna sitting on the edge of her chair when the screen for Old Hyrule comes up. She nurses a glass of wine. Her attention is rapt.

“Link d’ Ordon!”

Midna’s head sinks and she closes her eyes. A single tear falls like a diamond. I can’t help but feel sorry for her. She’s devastated. I take a long look at the young man on the screen. He’s dressed very much like me, save that the color of his tunic and hat are duller, a more subdued green to my Kelly-hue. His eyes are striking… even a bit disturbing. He looks absolutely fierce. He stands in the shadows until he is brought before the camera. He looks like a darker and less hung-over version of what I saw in the mirror every morning. The young man strikes me as rather beast-like… like he’d torn out a few throats in his day.

“Shiek Nohansen!”

Ah, so he’s getting a partner. I feel… nostalgic. This “Shiek” person is a bit different than another I had known by that name. This one hadn’t been able to bind her chest nearly as well; then again, I do not know if androgyny was the look this one was going for.

Everyone startles when the glass in Midna’s hand shatters. With a swish of her robes, she gets up and runs out of the room, back toward the hotel suites.

“Wait! Miss Midna! This isn’t protocol!” Peach shouts after her, chasing her down.

More names were read. Don’t ask me to keep track of them all. My head’s swimming with the last shot of whiskey I took.

Lemme see… “Pit Icarus,” I think that’s one of the kids… “Bulbasaur,” one of the pokemon… “Charizard,” another pokemon… I think someone named “Meta Knight” from Kirby’s world was called… Falco is getting his old friend Fox to train…

The last screen was trained on New Hyrule. People involved in the cull were gathered at island called Windfall. It’s not actually too far from the place I’m allowed to live in during the off-season, Papachuia Village.

After I hear the name that was called and see the camera trained on whom it belongs to, I just can’t believe it. I’ve always wanted to rip Ganondorf’s spine out, but at that moment, more than ever. His sleazy announcer, Mr. Ghirahim even mocks her in a sing-song voice.

“Aryll Outsetter.”

A little girl. A tiny little girl. She can’t be more than eight years old!

Before I toss my glass at the screen in frustration, a little boy wearing green with a wooden sword on his belt comes running up, panting and puffing.

“Don’t take my sister!” the child cries. He can’t be more than twelve years old. He puts himself between the announcer and his sister and raises his little sword. “You aren’t taking her!”

“So… a little hero,” Ghirahim drawls, “Do you mean to take her place? It is the only way.”

“Yes! Yes I will!” the kid shouts for all to hear.

“Noooo!” little Aryll cries. “No, Big-Brother, no!” She clings to him. He hugs her tight and then turns around, glaring into the camera.

His eyes are big, round and innocent, yet somehow fiercer than those of my other counterpart. Yes, this one is definitely my successor in New Hyrule.

“What is your name, child?” the announcer asks.

“Link Outsetter.”

The boy is presented to the crowd with mixed reactions. Mostly, the island is filled with cries of grief.

I don’t have my sword on me. If I did, I’d cut the screen in half. The kid has guts. Guts got me through some impossible things. However, I fear that given the lineup that I’d seen, that his will be quickly spilled.

The screen cuts out with another play of the national anthem. I need another freakin’ drink.

… Should I press continue on this ridiculous meld of world concepts? I actually have a lot of ideas for this, but right around when I was writing a Super Mario Bros. Lakitu making an announcement of a reaping, I realized “Hey, this is really stupid.” It wasn’t that I didn’t see how weird this was before, it just really hit me with renewed vigor then. I figure, if this is liked, I’ll go ahead with it, because what is fanfic if not free and stupid fun? If not… yeah… This is definitely one of my more “Whut?” ideas.

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
This is really well fleshed out, it's awesome. I can tell you've spent a lot of time on this, and it's ridiculous enough that it works. Truthfully, I'm looking forward to seeing more of Midna...but this is really, really good. Keep it up. :)

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
This is really good. One minor complaint, you appear to switch between present tense and past tense a lot. No, I don't mean when you explain a previous event, but with current actions. Other than that, good job.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
To Windmill: I thought about that... I tried to keep it in present-tense when I was writing, but switched to past tense for flashback-type scenes/exposition, because it made more sense to me and because I decided to go with first-person narration. This is Link, telling his story in a stream-of-conciousness style. People's thought-patterns aren't always grammatically correct. I know mine aren't. (I have to really work when I'm writing something conventional). I'm actually trying to figure out how to make the grammar and style *worse* in the next chapter in a realistic way because I want to portray Link as being and coming off of being very drunk in the next installment. I will have to think back to the few times when I've caught a buzz and to the speech patterns of drunk people I've known. It's gonna be tough...

I'm pretty sure I have a correct-grammar first-person fic among my ficlist on fanfiction.net somewhere... "Passage" - but the excuse is that the story is one you find in a soldier's diary, so he had time to think to write it down. Link here, is supposed to be less coherent than that... so the tense-switching is largely on purpose.

Gumball: Aw... I liked "Mockingjay." Not as much a the other books, but... I don't seem to think it was as horrible as some people do. It was fairly tense, though I don't like what happened to some of the characters. Of the series, I liked "Catching Fire" best - if you can't already tell from this story, I really liked the mentors/Victors and their whole world. I'd like to see a follow up book written in the mind of Haymitch rather than Katniss. *Grin.*

Last edited:

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
That's actually a brilliant idea, Shadsie. ^^ I always liked Haymitch in a passive way.

And I thought it was boring with all the political stuff. That's just me, though... ^^ I meant it as a compliment...

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I know. I'm just saying I liked it. Then again, there's a large part of me that *thrives* on politics and history, even though it's as an observer rather than anyone with any kind of power. I've been told that I occasionally write like (fantasy world armies and characters) like military-strategy... at least one of my works... that I wrote after failing Air Force Basic Training... so... uh?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Chapter 2

NATIONAL ANTHEM

Chapter 2

Will the kid stop starin’ at me? All slack-jawed and bright-eyed, I can’t stand it! Picked him up on the Grand Spirit Train thru New Hyrule today an’ th’ passenger-car suddenly got crowded. Just him and me and Miss Peachy-keen. I had my breakfast, cornflakes an’ bourbon, ‘cause it’s th’ only way I canna stand to see his face.

I can’t stand it. Dead kid keeps lookin’ at me like I can save ‘im. Peach shoves some coffee in my face. Do ya think I wanna be sober, woman? Didn’t get myself fortified jus’ to throw it away. I’ve got a corpse starin’ at me. You do, too, but you don’t care. You never cared. At least the coffee’s nice n’ black, ain’t fru-frued up.

“Mr. Toki?” the dead boy asks.

“Don’t call me that,” I spit back. I sit down low in my seat across… lettin’ my shoulders ease up. I’d like to go back to my bunk, but Miss Twinkle-pink won’t let me. Gotta meet with my charge an’ all that.

“Miss Peach says everyone calls you Toki.”

“You ain’t earned the right to call me that.”

“Then, what do I call you?”

“You can call me Link,” I reply.

“That’s my name,” the kid pouted. Damn. That lip.

“I can call you the Hero of Time…”

I leap over the table and grab the smartass kid by the collar. “Don’t you ever call me that!” I snarl. “I ain’t no Din-damn hero, not anymore!”

“B-but…” the kid pathetically quivers, “Where I come from, we know all about you! The story of your world is connected to ours. It’s why I’m dressed like you… to honor you.”

I drop the kid and grumble. “I ain’t got honor, kid. That’s somethin’ ya gotta learn in life. Yer heroes ‘ill disappoint ya.” I take another swig of my cooling coffee. It’s clearing my head up a bit but I still feel pleasantly foggy.

“You’re supposed to train me for the Brawl, Mr…. Mr..?”

“Kokirin. You can call me Mr. Kokirin. And I’m afraid I don’t got much to teach. Stay alive, kid, is all I can say. Stay alive as long as ya can.”

“That’s not much help,” the boy says, pouting and smoothing out his tunic.

“Listen, kiddo… my advice to you is to make the most of the week you have left here before you enter the Brawl.”

“So you aren’t even going to try to help me to survive. Just great.”

“Yer a fan-favorite right now, Tiny – what with how you helped out your sister. My buddy, Mario really likes ya. I think he wants you to win over his own guy. But you don’t stand a chance.”

“I am good with a sword.”

“It don’t matter, kid. Not with the lineup this time. Bowser is a giant dragon… so are the Pokemon…”

“I have not gone through the story-mode of my world as I live here,” the kid replies, “but I feel it in my code. The me that is in the story-world has fought giant creatures and stuck a sword through Ganondorf’s fat head!”

I laugh. I couldn’t help but laugh and slap my knee so hard I tip over my coffee and spill half of it all over the table. Peach has steam comin’ out her ears. She turns bright red, like Mario’s hat!

I never knew what he saw in her. They used to be together before the world turned to crap. There were rumors that she saw Bowser on the side to takin’ Mario’s mustache-rides. Yeah, she always struck me as a bit kinky… no one can be as straight-laced as her without a little wildness in the closet.

“Oh, don’t we all wish we could do that!” I huff. Laughing has gotten me breathless. Peach calls me a “hyena,” whatever that is…. Never seen one in Hyrule. Oh, it’s kinda like Darknut with his helmet off? You’ve really seen one, kid?

“In my story-mode, I know I sliced up his piggy-face! But we all know the story-modes ain’t true.” I say. “Ain’t true to life. We’re here and under his thumb. Try to fight ‘im and it’s not just you on the choppin’ block, it’s everyone you know and love.”

I feel suddenly sick. A memory burbles up in my mind like the sickness in my belly of Saria… how she died… how I was made to watch. I shake my head and bite the inside of my cheek.

“I am a warrior!” the dead kid insists.

“So’s Fox,” I counter. “So’s that merc with the weird blue hair. Oh, and Samus. I didn’t think she’d ever be selected for a Brawl of Honor! I knew her in the early fighting days, back in Melee’ when the fights were *****-foot. If she’s anything like she was back then – with the safety-stuff turned off – she’s going to cut a swath through the Brawl like the ****in’ Grim Reaper!”

“Such atrocious language!” Peach whines.

“Loosen up, Sweetheart!” I say. “Have a drink with me!”

“Not on your life!”

“It ain’t my life on the line, it’s the kid’s.”

Little Link scowls. Then he gets this stupid hopeful look, lookin’ back up at me. “She’ll be powered-down, right?” he asks.

“Come again?”

“She’ll be de-powered. I heard that in the Brawls, if anyone’s got technology or powers that are too much of an advantage, they get powered-down before they’re sent to fight.”

“That is true, kid,” I say, “but it still might not help ya.”

I remember past years… Midna had a wealth of magic that was a natural trait of her people, enhanced by the helmet of Fused Shadows. She was not allowed to take the Fused Shadows into the Brawl. Her natural magical abilities had been “clipped” by a system that had been set up that was not unlike the old tournaments’ safety-system. She had to power up her magic abilities through eating and rest to make them significantly damaging. Similar measures had been taken last year for Falco’s firearms. Power had to be conserved and guns were not one-hit lethal unless the bolts hit very specific parts of the body. Falco had taken to frying brains with eye-shots. He was scary-good at it.

I notice that I’m perking up. The fog of my good buzz is going away. I want it back. I also notice that I have to take a wicked piss. I let myself up to do just that, being sure to tell Peach that I have to “take a wicked piss” so I can see the look on her face. I watch some premium stuff go down the drain, slightly used. The only thing good about these Brawls is the catering for us Champions. Without it, I might’ve asked Fi to let me impale myself on her quite some time ago… It seems I keep hangin’ on for the hope that one of my people will win, or that someone will make some kinda change happen. I want to stab Ganondorf in the head. It’s the dream that keeps me awake. I guess I’ve got the fool’s hope that it’ll happen, and I need to get as many of us to that place as I can.

Oh, Fi… that reminds me… I need to talk to Tiny about weapons. Fi… yeah, that’s my sword that I tend to leave at home these days. I ain’t fit to wield her anymore. She’s known as the Master Sword, but she has a soul and a name that few folks know. It’s said she once could speak and had a human shape to her soul, but she rests now, awakening partially only to the touch of heroes. She’s comatose, but still won’t let me hurt myself with her. I’ve tried. The little kid showed me his own world’s version of Fi when he boarded the train. I could sense her, bright and fierce. The Master Sword has always been a holy weapon in all of its forms, but weapons are inherently violent things. It is their definition.

“Kid,” I say, sitting down again, “Ya decided what weapon you want in the Stage?”

“I said I was handy with a sword,” the kid replies. “I wouldn’t have brought it if I wasn’t going to rely on it. Didn’t you use a sword?”

“Nope,” I say, gaining a look – the kid’s priceless. “I made my way with a bow and arrow. I wasn’t allowed all of the magic spells I knew for arrows, but I had an unlimited quiver… the arena-guys kept dropping bundles of arrows for me in random places. They’ll help you, sometimes… the prep-guys. It depends upon the favor of the crowds.”

“Is a bow and arrow better?”

“Not really. You go with what you think you can best use. There’s also going to be a lotta random weapons scattered around for ya’ll to find. Who knows? You might be able to blow a de-powered Samus in clunky armor sky-high with a random bob-omb you find in a bush.”

“Do you think that will happen, Mr. Kokirin?”

“Not a chance, kid.”

“But you just said…”

“I say a lot of things, kid. My advice to you is to say your prayers and enjoy the time ya got left.”

“I have to have some chance…”

“Oh, I don’t think you’ll be the first to fall,” I say, trying to be encouraging. I know I’m not. “You’ve got spirit and an edge of violence to ya. You remember the two Sages that went to the Brawls, don’t ya?”

“Fado and Laruto,” he says respectfully. “Outset Island had hopes for them. They were really powerful…”

“Because they were Sages, right?”

“Yeah…”

“They were also pacifists. That’s why they died. They weren’t willin’ to be killin’.”

“They killed each other.”

“Do you remember what President Ganondorf had done after that?”

“Their temples were destroyed and their successors… I don’t even want to think about it! Makar and Medli were…my friends…They are my friends…”

“There are ways of comittin’ suicide in the Stages that make it look like an accident, that don’t put on a big show and don’t look defiant. I can share tips for that, if you want.”

“I’d rather fight it out and see how long I can survive… even if you don’t believe in me.”

“You’re brave, kid. I really wish you could grow up to be the hero that were meant to be.”

“Can you teach me how to… be honorable?” he asks.

“I told you I ain’t got none a that honor-****.”

“I’m sure you did at some point…since you are the Hero of T-”

He backs off when he sees my face. I can feel my skin growing hot as I grind my teeth. Shut up, kid! Smart kid.

The kid stares at me… eyes like steel. “Can you show me how to kill cleanly?” he asks. “I want to know how to make an opponent not-suffer. I know that people – and Brawlers – are different than monsters. They feel things. I want to kill without pain.”

“There ain’t no killin’ without pain, kid. Life is pain and death itself is pain.”

“There’s a woman named Rose on my island,” the kid begins. He wants to tell me a story… great. “She raises pigs. She feeds them to her family. She clubs them in the head before she sticks their throats and puts them on the butcher-hook so they don’t feel themselves dying. I think people are at least as worthy as pigs of getting clean deaths.”

“People ain’t as worthy as you think, and they’ll fight death like cuccoos do.”

“I want to try to survive… for the sake of my Grandma and my sister.”

“I can show you how to make it quick and clean,” I say. “And you’ll learn even better in the training arena.”

After the train arrives in Smash City, Peach and I take the kid for a little tour of some of the main attractions. We’re allowed to do this…some garbage about how Ganondorf is a gracious master of the world who will allow the dying a chance to indulge in luxuries and to see the glory of the central city under his rule.

Stopping at the Statue of Ganondorf is a must. Both the kid and I spit on its feet. It makes some of the city guardsmen angry, but I show them my Brawl Champion’s pass and Link’s “Victim” pass and we’re left to our revelry.

Even when I drop my trousers and take a wicked piss. Oh, Peach, I love the faces you make! Don’t get your crown in a crumple! There’s nothing Ganondorf can do to me that he hasn’t already done and he knows it! Besides, it’s just a statue. And the kid didn’t do a damn thing. The citizens of the city would be against him if Ganondorf had anything done to Link’s little sister just because I have a “spastic bladder.” Cranky Kong got away with flinging a lot worse at it once. It’s a very ugly statue.

Maybe the President lets some of us vent at the chunk of stone simply because he knows we are powerless to go after the real thing. Our futile anger must amuse his sick ***.

After our city-going escapades, we enter the hotel where were are to be put up and the training area. To my surprise, I see Samus out of that big armored suit I always saw her wear. She’s in some kind of a form-fitting jumpsuit. Down boy! Down! I know it’s her because I’ve seen her without her helmet a few times. She is talking to, of all people, Pikachu. The damn rat hops up into her arms, like he’s some kinda pet. Is he mentoring her? He’s supposed to be mentoring his fellow Pokemon. She cuddles him like a Farore-damned cat for a few minutes before setting him down and heading to a target-range.

Pikachu pads at my feet.

“What’s the big idea?” I ask the rodent.

“Pika-pika-pi!” he replies. I’ll be translating the rest of the poke-speak from here for those of you who’ve joined me inside my head for the time being. Some drunks get pink elephants – I get readers.

“Yeah!” I say, “Why are you getting all cozy with her? Shouldn’t you be teaching Charizard and Bulbasaur how not to die?”

“Relax, Fairy-Boy, I know exactly what I’m doing,” he says confidently. “Miss Samus has… shall we say… a way with animals. She also has a way with energy. What we have to say to one another is our business and our business alone.”

“You’re saying that she can talk to you and understand you like I can?”

“That and more, my friend.”

I shiver. “Interspecies romances rarely turn out well,” I spit.

“Who said that our relationship was a romance?” the yellow rat says, licking one paw casually.

“You know better than I can that even de-powered, she’s gonna hold her own,” I point out. Do you remember what we called her in the old days? Genocide-Samus. Thinks nothin’ of blowing up planets in her own universe. Do you think she’ll show an ounce of mercy to my kid or to your creatures?”

Pikachu licks his other paw and smooths it over the fur on his head. “Mercy and judgment are not for me to say,” he says in the most insufferably intellectual tone he could muster. Yes, he can muster those – for those of us who understand his language. Like I’ve said before, he is an overlooked genius. “I’ll leave you with this, Toki. The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry… that is when the best-laid plans of mice and women may just have a shot. Also, you seem to be more sober than usual today. Worked off your ‘breakfast?’ I like it when you’re sober, Toki. You should keep it up.”

The rat bounds away, over to what I think is a sleeping Bulbasuar. Yep, he’s movin’… that’s a Bulbasuar. For a minute I thought it was a big pile of laundry.

I find my kid. He ran off somewhere in this gym to check out the various weapons on the walls. I see him talking to that angel-kid. Hoo boy, is that one gonna get slaughtered. They say he’s the general of an army, but I don’t believe it. Too cute, too young, too damn innocent-looking. Little Link comes back over to me.

“There sure are a lot of interesting people here, Mr. Kokirin.”

“Yep. You aren’t put out that in a week about half of them will be trying to kill you?”

“You said to enjoy the week while I could,” he replies. “And I’ve always enjoyed making new friends.”

“A spunky strategy…” I muse, “Get everyone to like you and they won’t be too quick to kill you, is that it?”

“Nope. I just want to know the dead before they become dead. I think I owe them that.”

I look to a shadowed area of the room we’re in and see the tell-tale subtle glow of cyan lines and symbols belonging to a specific set of robes. Midna stands talking to one of her charges – the one who corresponds to me and the kid. How many Links are there in the world, anyway? We’re less like a person and more like a race… Such is the way the Goddesses made the Hyrules, I suppose. I wonder what an army of us going after Ganondorf would be like… There’s an idea I ought to bring up when the cameras aren’t watching.

Midna touches the young man’s shoulder. Some strange magic swirls about him. In about a minute, what is standing before the Princess of Darkness isn’t Link d’ Ordon, but a shaggy, dark-furred wolf with an impressive mane.

Before I can grab a sword off the wall to defend my charge, the wolf leaps towards us and has little Link pinned. The beast is snarling and drooling all over the front of his tunic. The beast makes a snap at his throat, stopping short.

“Link!” Midna cries, snapping her fingers. The wolf immediately gets off of Tiny. I help him up and offer my arms out for a hug. The boy refuses, dusting off his tunic nonchalantly and glaring daggers at Midna, standing before us, and the wolf, sitting at her feet.

“He put up a poor defense,” Midna comments. “He has a sword and shield on his back, he should have whipped them out. Haven’t you fought monsters, little boy?”

“It’s no fair to catch me off guard!” Little Link shouts.

“Everything is fair in the Brawl of Honor,” Midna says, inspecting the fingernails of one hand. “You’ve just shown yourself to be an easy mark. I’m afraid that my wolf now thinks of you as food.”

The wolf glares. Midna pets his mane and the black magic swirls about him again. He becomes a man and stands tall. He keeps the vicious animal-glare.

Oh, holy Naryu! Is he still drooling? Freak…

“Will he be allowed to do that in the Stage?” I ask.

“Of course,” Midna laughs. “You know the rules. The warriors are allowed each one weapon to bring into the Stage and one personal token. His weapon is the Master Sword, which cleaves light from darkness. His token is a little gift from my world that enables his body’s transformation. Utilizing the two, he can go back and forth at will. I think the Brawl will be quite easy for him, seeing as the Stage this year is supposed to be an Old Hyrulean forest.”

“What about Shiek?” I ask.

“What about her?”

“It seems that you’re putting all your efforts behind one dog on the track. That seems a little unfair.”

“We all love a winner,” Midna says with a smile drawn of night.

Meanwhile, Link d’ Ordon is giving my Link Outsetter what I can only describe as a “slasher smile.”

“You know,” he says slowly, “I was always a little jealous of your world. I was born and raised in dust.

He leans down to one knee and places a finger beneath Tiny’s chin. For his part, my boy smiles, like he is trying to diffuse the situation.

“I was born and raised in dust,” the Ordonian continues. “Colors dull, suffused with gentle light, a world of strength and beasts. I’ve seen New Hyrule… its colors – whimsical waves dancing brightly, colors to dazzle the eyes. Your world was one with lighthearted music on the air all the time, wasn’t it? I’ve long wished I could be a part of that world. Alas, I am of dust and beasts.”

He takes his hand away with a flick and just as smoothly, brings the sword off his back and braces its edge against my kid’s neck!!!

I’m about to tackle the punk and kick has *** as he jumps away, sheathing his blade. He smiles at Tiny. “I wish I was a part of your world, kid,” He says, “but that won’t stop me from comin’ for your throat!”

Thankfully, he wanders along after Midna, leaving us in peace.

“Do you want to go to our hotel room now,” I ask the boy.

“Y-yes,” he pants.

I look down gently at him as we walk through the halls. “There is a chance you may win and go back home to your sister.”

“How? You kept saying that I should just prepare to die…”

“There are many ways a Brawl can go,” I answer. “There are actually ways for a little guy to win, especially a brave little guy.”

“I think I like you better when you’re like how you are now, Mr. Kokirin.”

“I think I’ll keep the Chateau Romani on the shelf for tonight. I think tonight is a night for storytelling. I’ll tell you of my Brawl, my Stage. It may help you.”

He nods. “If you really want to, Mr. Kokirin.”

“Call me Toki.”

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
LET THE INSANITY CONTINUE!!!

Notes: I have not played all of Nintendo’s library, so I honestly don’t know what the characterizations of some characters are outside of the Smash games. I know the Legend of Zelda series extensively, obviously, since I’m primarily a fan of it. I know a bit about the Pokemon universe (it was my first online/creative fandom back in the day), I think almost everyone who’s played videogames knows the Mario Bros. world to a degree… but you know, I’ve never played, say, any of the Fire Emblem mythos and have no idea how to characterize its people. That said… this story is about deadly games that make some characters lose their minds when raw survival/the fate of their worlds is at stake. (In any case, I apologize to Roy fangirls and boys if I got him “out of character” – but he shows up just about when the remaining contestants are all nuts, anyway).

NATIONAL ANTHEM

Chapter 3

The First Brawl of Honor

We were hand-selected for the first of the Brawls and we had no choice. It was either fight for survival or we watch our worlds go into the dark. Master Hand was presented to us in chains – his fingers shackled together, bloody wounds staining the white of his glove… There was nothing that he could do to save us. Just to give us an example of his power, Ganondorf sent a few of Ninten’s outer worlds and neighboring territories into oblivion. We saw, we mourned, we feared, and so we fought.

I had not long ago returned from one of those worlds… I watched as Termina became terminal… after I had worked so hard to prevent its demise.

I was very young when I was selected for the Brawl. Do you see this picture, boy? Yes, I’m actually the kid in it. You could say that I was both a child and a man back then, and that I was beside myself. My older brother is actually a time-displaced version of me. Don’t call me a hero, please. I already told you to stop that. Yes, you know the legend of the Hero of Time. The two of us, when we were one person, slept for seven years. After the quest, I was sent back in time to my child form, in order to re-gain my lost years and be given back my life.

It didn’t actually work out that way. I mean… how do you regain innocence once it is lost? I couldn’t go back home, to the forest. I was raised by a tree, you know. Did you know that, kid? I’d lived among immortal forest-children, but knew I was destined to grow up, so I couldn’t live there anymore. I wandered a bit and sought out a lost friend… that’s how I wound up in the land of Termina, where I ended up on another quest and in lots of battles. When I returned, that was when I was drafted into the Melee’ Tournament to come fight fun battles alongside an adult version of myself drawn outside of Time.

It was strange… I mean, I was technically older than my adult incarnation. We were both kind of a mix of adult and child. We got along. We soon became something of “separate souls,” developing along our own paths in life in our split-ness. We took on the roles of brothers. “Old Link” as I liked to call him in teasing, became protective of me outside the tournament fights. He was a good big brother – everything you could want in one, kind, strong, funny…

I was definitely the weaker between us. I had such a little body. Younger than yours, kid. I had to rely on my brains to get through fights, because I didn’t have the brawn. I knew how strong Old Link was, because, at some point in the past, I’d been him – or at least had his body. He was a favorite of the female fans of the Melee’ tournament. You wouldn’t really guess from me. I’ve grown into those natural heroic looks, but I’ve let myself go a great deal, gotten scruffier, hit the Chateau Romani and Kakariko Vodka pretty hard…

Look at me kid… gone all sober for your sake, so I can tell you my story and give you warnings. Your Stage won’t be like mine, though. They say you’re getting an Old Hyrule forest. That should be an advantage for you. I don’t care that you’re an island child and more familiar with the sea… a forest should still be pretty natural. My Brawl took place in the jungle… deep in the Jungle Japes. It was steamy and hot… lots of dangerous, swift-moving waters… enormous insects…

Yes, my big brother and I were selected for the new and more dangerous game together. We’d watched Termina vanish. We’d watched the scouring of other worlds that we never got to know. We weren’t going to let the same happen to Hyrule. Link and I thought that maybe we could come up with a plan to rebel from within, to get out of the Stage somehow and storm the city. We were counting upon the others to join us, after all we knew the people we were being thrown into the deadly Brawl with. We thought we could trust them to listen to reason, to form a secret plan together rather than to obey Ganondorf’s whims and the blood-thirst of the crowds. We were wrong. We couldn’t trust them – not a one of them. Those that could have helped were only interested in obeying the rules to stay alive… We couldn’t blame them… they feared for their respective universes, not just their own lives. The one being we found who could be counted on to be on our side was too weak, far too weak.

There was nothing for us to do but to enter the Stage. We had no mentoring. The only training we had was what we’d taught ourselves during the non-lethal fights and in our own worlds. Link and I both had formidable survival skills. We, of course, allied with each other immediately. We tried not to think about the inevitable outcome: If the two of us survived to the end of the matter, one of us would have to kill the other. I bet on Link surviving. I thought that, given my little body that I would be among the first to fall. I had speed and agility on my side, but not much else. Someone would take me out for sure, or one of the dangers of the jungle would claim me. Link, for his part, didn’t seem to think about this at all. He wanted to protect me. I think he might have been planning to die in a battle with the final opponent. I could guess what was on his mind, because, you know, at one point, we’d shared it. When we made camp, he talked about slow-bleeding wounds and other kinds of things that would kill a person in a slightly delayed fashion. He wouldn’t have spoken of things like that unless he was planning on fatally wounding someone in a last-ditch… just the kind of strategy that would keep me alive, provided I stayed to the sidelines, waiting for nature to take its course.

The truth of the matter was that he didn’t want to kill any of his friends and neither did I. We kind of hung back in the thick of the jungle, avoiding the others. Some Koopa Troopas were the first to fall as I recall. It was announced over loudspeaker over the entire arena; “This Game’s First Failure Is!” – Yeah, kid, I’m sure you’re familiar with it… having been forced to watch the televised version of the Brawls back in your home on Outset.

Your Grandmother cries a lot when she sees them? Aw… It’s just sick that Ganondorf enforces the broadcast and the watching of it. I still don’t think you have much of a chance, but I’m going to do what I can to see you through so maybe you can stick a sword through his fat head. You might just be able to do someday what I’ve failed at. For your Grandma.

I met Pichu when she was shuffling around in a bush. I don’t know why the poor creature was drafted for the first Brawl. Pichu was a pokemon, but even among a race of powerful fighting creatures, an infant is no match for anything. Her shocks were more cute than painful – and she’d hurt herself with them for cryin’ out loud!

I don’t even think the little mouse knew what was going on. I’d gone over to her hiding-bush looking to pick some berries for food and she popped out and didn’t try to attack me or anything. She didn’t even try to bite or scratch. She seemed to recognize me as a friend and like a puppy that knows you… She sniffed and licked my hand.

I brought her back to where Big Brother and I were camped. Link didn’t like the idea, but I decided that I was going to protect her for as long as I could. I decided that it would be kind of funny if she’d won because we were protecting her. She was the first to fall in the regular, non-lethal tournament.

Weapons? Yeah… Big Link had his sword, of course. His sword and his shield. You’re allowed to carry a shield in – it doesn’t count as an extra weapon or a token. It’s considered a part of your sword if you’re a sword-and-shield fighter. I opted to leave my sword and shield behind for the sake of a bow and arrows. I was allowed a fire spell on my arrows, but that’s it. No ice, no holy light… I’d used those before… I was only allowed a low-burning fire. It made making campfires very easy. I’d set the spell to one of my arrows and use it like a lighter to ignite the kindling. We had to be very careful with our fires. A fire can make you visible to your enemies, especially at night. Link had the great idea of setting “false fires” around the jungle before setting our own, that way, the smoke would distract anyone who was hunting us just long enough for us to get warm and to cook some fish from the river. We’d set up piles of campfire-wood, then, using my keen eyes, I’d light the things from afar with my arrows… so as to already be out of the area should anyone hunting us find the fire right away.

Yeah, the jungle could actually get cold… especially when it rained. It was hard to keep the fires lit, then, too. We’d collect rainwater in big, broad leaves. We didn’t trust the stuff from the river. The fish? We improvised equipment… nets from woven leaf-fibers, or Big Brother would hop around rocks where the waters were still, using his eyes to sight fish and stab them with the tip of his sword. He passed that sword onto me, you know. I don’t think Ganondorf feared it after what we went through. The Master Sword in its normal state can only be wielded by pure persons… heroes. You will give that up in the Brawl, kiddo. There is no heroism there. You may not be able to wield your version after all is said and done… if you survive.

Ah, we talked and joked about many things around our constantly shifting campsites. We remembered our Hyrule and how there used to be this awesome little fishing hole run by a guy in a stupid hat that if one timed one’s throw of a fishing lure just right, one could capture. Oh, the two of us, when we were one and the same, were nice and let the guy have his hat back – after we laughed at him, of course. Good times, good times. There were some moments of the Brawl when I actually forgot that we were in a big, deadly game. I don’t know how many days passed. I stopped keeping track of them. We slept when we felt safe. Big Brother would let me curl up against his chest. Sometimes Pichu would curl up with us, other times; she would keep alert around the campsite. We were constantly on the move...

I think everyone wanted a shot at killing the Hero of Time – by this I mean my brother. He was one of the high-ranking fighters on the roster. His “wait-it-out” pacifist-act wasn’t popular. We had to dodge many traps set for us within the Stage by the crew that was maintaining the Stage. An overabundance of rain caused a landslide that Big Link and I were just able to outrun, Pichu carried on his arm. A fire sprang up in another, drier part of the jungle, set off by a bomb that was one of the hidden weapons randomly scattered for us to use. It had been set off on purpose by some unseen hand. We had to dodge proximity-mines. The river rapids almost swept us both away when we were trying to find a way to cross it.

We knew from the announcements that the river had killed the one we called the Flatlander – Gamen Watch, I think that’s what his name was. He was pretty well doomed in a three-dimensional world.

As the announcements came and other fighters fell, I wondered just how long we could last. I knew I was holding Link back. He wouldn’t be “hiding” from the dangers as he was if he didn’t feel the need to protect me… though, as I said, neither of us were eager to kill any of the people we’d once called friends. We were both experienced with monsters and such. We’d smite the wicked plenty-hard. It was the “hero” in us; I suppose that kept us from wanting to shed the blood of the innocent, even if they, during this horror-show, had lost their innocence.

We met Dr. Mario in a clearing on an unusually dry afternoon and he changed the game for us. He was from a slightly different dimension than the Mario that you’ve met, kid. You see, Dr. Mario was something of an alternate form for him (not much unlike me and Big Brother, or you and me and the werewolf). The Good Doctor had been well-liked and trusted by all the fighters from the previous tournaments. The ancient tourneys had safeties set on the Stages, but sometimes, we’d get hurt… or sick. Doc was a fighter, too, but he took care of us. It was his primary job. He was an expert on viruses – which helped with common colds and such, but he knew how to patch a wound or ease a sprain.

He’d had very caring and gentle hands…

And, upon entering this game of death, he completely turned. He’d always been able to turn the giant pills he’d used as weapons from medicines into poisons. He knew the way of overdoses, too. They say that hands that can make people well can also hurt and kill, simply because the mind behind them knows how to.

“I know everything about the Hylian body,” the Doctor told us with a psycho-smirk. I remember that. He spoke about having studied us intensely. We’d received his treatments in between fights in the Melee’ tournament… so did all the pokemon.

“I have a special something that will ‘take care’ of both age and youth!” He’d laughed. “Lucky me to get to see blood coming from the Hero of Time’s mouth!”

Yeah, we both shivered. Big Link demanded an explanation from our former physician.

“What happened to you?” Big Brother yelled. “You used to be such a kind healer! A very good person! Why don’t you join us? We want a way out of this place, a way without killing each other! We all have one true enemy!”

“He is your enemy,” Doctor Mario replied. “I am just trying to return to my world alive. Besides, having taken out a few of us, I’ve grown a taste for bad medicine. The effects of the yellow pill on that young boy in the hat were rather remarkable to observe. The twitching and the bloating were something to see…”

Big Brother went livid. He came at the Bad Doctor with his sword shining a righteous light. He dodged the poison-pills that were tossed. I danced and dodged… Before I could bring out my bow, I watched Pichu get hit and take in a lungful of powdered poison. I ran to her and scooped her up in my arms and evacuated her from the fight. By the time I’d laid her down on a pile of green leaves and turned to help take care of the threat, I saw Big Brother kick Dr. Mario’s feet from beneath him and impale him through the chest. I could have sworn I heard a scream inside my mind, a female scream, metallic…swordlike.

Link’s eyes were… I can’t even describe them. He pulled the Master Sword from the doctor’s heart, the tip coated in deep red, sticky blood. I knew that our former physician had been given a quicker death than he’d intended upon giving us, but it didn’t change the fact Big Brother had just killed someone – someone who was not Ganondorf or any kind of monster… someone whom we’d cared for and once trusted.

The Master Sword allowed him to carry her, still… which I took as a good sign. He cleaned off the tip. We turned our attention to Pichu, who was breathing shallow, painful breaths. I took her into my arms. Big Brother just shook his head. We had no idea what to do for her.

I knew a little of the pokemon-speech back then… not much, not nearly as much as I do now. I was only beginning to grasp bits and pieces of it during my time in the Melee’. I knew that she wanted me to hold her and to pet her. Big Link sat down on the grass beside me and pulled his ocarina from his tunic… it wasn’t the Ocarina of Time… he’d left that with Zelda. It was a worn little plain-clay flute given to us – to him – by our best friend, Saria. Link played music for Pichu… any song he could think of. None of the magic of the magic-scores worked here, but music has a magic of its own even without making it rain or opening up gates bound by Time. I remember the last word that Pichu managed to say… Pikanese for “Happy…” She stopped breathing after that.

I was very upset when Link told me that I had to put her down. “We have to leave this area,” he said. “The R.O.B. Units will be here for the bodies and if they catch us, they’ll kill us.”

Yeah, kid… if you make a kill or one of your allies falls, you’re going to have to leave the corpse and make yourself scarce. The cleanup-crew are programmed to murder anything that still lives and are given more firepower than any of us are allowed in the Stage.

With more of us fallen and our chances of having to face each other increasing, I made a decision. I was going to commit suicide. It had to be in a non-obvious way. I had to make it look like an accident because suicide was against the rules and could potentially put Big Brother in greater danger – and the people of Hyrule in danger. After seeing the pain in Link’s eyes after killing Dr. Mario, I knew I couldn’t subject him to killing me. I certainly could not murder him. I wouldn’t be able to bring myself to do it, even if he’d asked me or begged me to do so. “Dying accidentally” or finding some way to get myself killed by one of the remaining competitors was the only way I saw out of this. We certainly weren’t going to be able to do the plan where we get out of the Stage alive and storm Smash City seeking Ganondorf’s head. It was pretty much too late for that. My only hope was that my Big Brother would be able to do that on his own somehow. Maybe he could figure it out once he was sent home to Hyrule.

I had to fall so he could fly.

It was just before dawn after a night spent by the river (the other side than where we’d started out from) that I decided to exact my plan. I made sure Big Link didn’t hear me as I shifted out of our camp. He was sound asleep – not out of a sense of peace, but out of pure exhaustion. It was pure luck that I’d managed to wake up when I’d wanted to. I left camp and made my way toward a part of the river where the water dropped off into a long waterfall. I had taken one of the fishing-nets with me staked one part of it to the muddy shore. I wanted to make our outside observers think that I was fishing. Sure, we’d eaten some non-pokemon rat-type creatures that I’d shot the night before, but fish, when we could get it, had always made a good breakfast for us. I stepped lightly over rocks in the river, looking for just the right place I could slip and fall. I observed the rapids, looking for ones that looked like they could sweep me away. Drowning or being dashed on stones… not a good death, but much better than being in a situation where my brother would have to murder me.

I heard unusual noises from camp and stopped my quest for death immediately. I jumped over the rocks back to shore. The pre-light of dawn was just rising over our camp and Link was gone. His sword and his shield were gone. I knew this meant trouble. I grabbed my bow and ran for the trees. I didn’t cry out, for if we’d been found, I didn’t want to give away my position. I looked around, squinting my eyes in the shadows and keeping my ears open for the sounds of battle.

I saw a shadowed figure between two trees and didn’t recognize the shadow. It was shuffling around at the edges of camp, turning over things aggressively. The figure crashed through the leaves, angry, on the hunt. It was likely that Big Brother was watching the figure, too. The shadow was way too close for comfort. I drew back an arrow and shot.

The yelp I heard was disturbingly familiar. I ran in a panic to where the shadow had fallen.

Link lay on his stomach, my arrow in his back, the flames smoldering out in his blood.

“No! No! No!” I cried, kneeling beside him. “I... I didn’t mean to! I thought you were an intruder! I..I..I…”

He looked at me – with those big, blue serious eyes of his. He said “It’s alright. I was looking for you.”

“I’ll save you! Hold on! I’ll take the arrow out! And we’ll get you patched up, and. and...!”

“It’s too late,” he said. “I can feel myself being pulled away. Nice shot, kid. I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

I cried more… I’m pretty sure I became incoherent at that point.

“It’s alright,” he told me. “Survive. Just keep surviving, okay?”

He went still, looking at me. He died with his eyes open, looking up at me with a kind expression. I shook him, but I knew it was futile. He’d been right… I’d got a shot through the back, close to the heart. If I hadn’t hit his heart, I’d surely hit a lung or clipped a major artery. A nice shot, indeed. I did not leave him until I heard the cleanup units coming through the jungle. Their mechanical whirring became deafening by the time I left the spot of my “suicide.”

I wandered after that, alone. I’ve been alone a lot in my life, but I’d never felt more alone than in that day and a half of roaming the jungle. I shot down some giant wasps and mosquitoes just to vent my frustration. I never knew if what had happened had been an accident or if Big Link had actually planned this in the same way I’d planned to die in the river. I doubt he’d planned, it, though. Big Brother had probably woken up, saw me gone, and went looking for me. If he was planning to die, he would have kept my hand out of it and done something like my river plan.

I’d sit, sheltering myself from the rain, turning the fatal arrow over and over in my hands. I’d taken it for some reason… just something I did in my grief-induced daze. I kept staring at the blood upon the arrowhead. My brother’s blood. I had not taken my brother’s sword and shield. The R.O.B. units took those with his body and Peach presented them to me later. It’s one of the very few truly good things that woman has done since she decided to throw her lot in with Ganondorf and Smash City to keep herself out of the Brawls.

From my guessing at all the announced “Failures,” I was one of three players left in the game after that. The others were a swordsman from a distant country named Roy and Mewtwo – a powerful psychic pokemon.

I ran into them when the earth opened up in quakes and fissures with rivers of lava. Ganondorf had apparently ordered that we should be forced together. I ended up on a small patch of land, the last safe-area left, halfway up a tree, watching Roy and Mewtwo fight.

They knew when I’d arrived, but they apparently found me to be beneath them. The two were determined to fight it out between each other, which would allow the winner to pick me off. They probably thought I’d be easy. The fight between them was pretty spectacular. Roy jumped, charging his sword with magical flames. Mewtwo shot balls of psychic energy at him. They dodged each other expertly, and each landed a few hits. Mewtwo was covered in small cuts from when Roy got his licks in. Meanwhile, Roy’s clothing was barely hanging onto him and his exposed skin was covered in burns.

I tried to snipe them from my place in the tree. Perhaps that was low of me… but at that point, all I cared about was survival. I wasn’t living just for me. I had to live for Big Brother, because he told me to. It was his last request. I was the last left of him. Unfortunately, Mewtwo’s telekinetic barriers kept any of my shots from landing.

I leaned too far forward and fell right out of the tree.

When I picked myself up, I saw Mewtwo slam Roy right in the chest. Roy wheeled around and swept his sword for the back of the pokemon’s neck. The swordsman hit the cord that ran from the creature’s brain to the base of his neck. It was sliced cleanly in two and blood spouted like a fountain. Mewtwo immediately fell over, slain.

Roy walked toward me slowly. I stood and shivered, trying to knock an arrow back on my bow. I expected Roy to deliver me my end, but the boy fell over on his face – the force of Mewtwo’s energy-bolt having had its effect. I did not know that he’d died of whatever internal injury he’d been given until I heard, loud and clear over the sky of the jungle…

“GAME!”

I tip-toed around Roy’s corpse, not knowing what to do. I heard an aircraft coming. I heard “This game’s winner is… Young Link!” After that was the roar of the crowd. I have vague memories of getting cleaned up, getting medical care. I was given food, but didn’t feel like eating it.

I suppose I’d won by chance, but I had made a kill. Big Brother Link was my only kill in my Brawl. I suppose I come across as some kind of hard-***, but that’s the truth. I only ever killed one innocent person, the very last person I’d wanted to destroy… by accident.

That’s what Smash City’s games do to you: They’ll take your soul one way or the other.

I don’t my brother meant for me to have the life that I’ve lived when he told me to “survive,” but I have survived nonetheless. So far. So far.

Oh, kid, I tried to rebel. I spread the word to whomever I could, to people all across Ninten. We were crushed… but most especially Hyrule. Again, I don’t know what sorceries Ganondorf has gotten a hold of to make his will happen, but it’s far more powerful than what he had in the story-mode writ into my code that I once lived.

Hyrule – my Hyrule… was overrun with his monsters. Zelda… my Zelda… was stripped of her powers. I was made to watch as she went to the guillotine. My best friend, Saria, too. My old rival, Mido… hung and beaten as he strangled to death. The Sages? Impa of the Shiekah had her throat cut… Nabooru had key muscles cut and was forced into prostitution. Darunia of the Gorons… lashed and gashed, water poured into the wounds, then the wounds were frozen with an ice-spell… do you know what happens to rocks when water freezes in the cracks? What happens to Gorons is a lot worse. My young body was beaten and bound as I was forced to watch the fruits of my budding, crushed rebellion.

Don’t judge me too harshly for standing by, acting as a guide for the Brawls. I keep hoping that maybe, maybe someone from the Hyrule I have charge of will be the catalyst for change. I’ve had that hope dashed time and time again.

I’m not fit to wield the Master Sword. I’m not… fit for too much anymore, kid.

My Hyrule? Completely destroyed. In fact, your Hyrule rests atop the ruins. Yes, you can feel that in your code – the story you never got to play. The other Hyrule is another possibility. All of the worlds are under the thumb of our “beloved” tyrant and fall under the screaming lusts of the citizens of Smash City.

At some point, I figured out that it doesn’t matter what good you do. You do good for one person, another one suffers. That’s why I decided to do nothin’ but drink.

I try every day to drown the memory of my brother’s blood in a sea of booze.

I’m sober for you kid, for the time being. Something about you gives me a sense of hope I haven’t had in a long while.

Now rest up. You’re gonna need your strength. You might not win, but I think you’ll at least put up a good fight.

If you say so, kid. If you really believe you’re going to win… remember my story. It is the story of one who survived.

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
My only beef with this is that you forgot Rauru and Ruto in the Sages part!

Despite that, I think this is better than the real Hunger Games. ^^

Also, my playlist decided to be overdramatic and play Learn to be Lonely during Toki's attempted suicide/Big Link's death. I wanted to cry...

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
My only beef with this is that you forgot Rauru and Ruto in the Sages part!

Despite that, I think this is better than the real Hunger Games. ^^

Also, my playlist decided to be overdramatic and play Learn to be Lonely during Toki's attempted suicide/Big Link's death. I wanted to cry...

I didn't forget them, I just didn't mention them. I just wanted to mention a few notable, grisly deaths that Link was forced to watch. The "thing that happens to Gorons" is kind of a running-thing. I used that kind of death for a Goron once before - in a fic that proposed Ganondorf as the protagonist of a Zelda game. He killed one of his "bosses" (he was going after Sages) that way.

I disagree. I liked The Hunger Games a lot. I found the world fairly fleshed-out (just fleshed-out enough), I liked the Old Roman Empire references, I disliked the "love-triangle" romance-drama, but then, I always dislike that. (I'm an asexual un-romantic here). The last book got really weird, but, on the whole, I liked the series a lot. My story here, is just taking silly-willy Smash Bros. and being insane with it. It hardly holds a candle. It's something I'm doing for a lark, and something I started when I couldn't get a hold of my co-writer for a different fic for a while and needed something fandom and stupid to write. As soon as I get this out of my system (now that my co-writer for the other thing and I are talking again), I'll happily go back to the Legend of Zelda Sci-Fi Western - insane-thing remake we were doing.

I was hoping to jerk tears out of people with that scene. That and the end of Pichu. Now you know why Toki is so mentally messed-up by the start of the story.

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
I didn't forget them, I just didn't mention them. I just wanted to mention a few notable, grisly deaths that Link was forced to watch. The "thing that happens to Gorons" is kind of a running-thing. I used that kind of death for a Goron once before - in a fic that proposed Ganondorf as the protagonist of a Zelda game. He killed one of his "bosses" (he was going after Sages) that way.

I disagree. I liked The Hunger Games a lot. I found the world fairly fleshed-out (just fleshed-out enough), I liked the Old Roman Empire references, I disliked the "love-triangle" romance-drama, but then, I always dislike that. (I'm an asexual un-romantic here). The last book got really weird, but, on the whole, I liked the series a lot. My story here, is just taking silly-willy Smash Bros. and being insane with it. It hardly holds a candle. It's something I'm doing for a lark, and something I started when I couldn't get a hold of my co-writer for a different fic for a while and needed something fandom and stupid to write. As soon as I get this out of my system (now that my co-writer for the other thing and I are talking again), I'll happily go back to the Legend of Zelda Sci-Fi Western - insane-thing remake we were doing.

I was hoping to jerk tears out of people with that scene. That and the end of Pichu. Now you know why Toki is so mentally messed-up by the start of the story.

Oh, okay. That's horrible, though... It made me really sad... I think that's literally the worst death ever.

But...... but I love this so much! :kawaii: I've just seen this and your Groose Defeat thing, but you are quickly becoming one of my favorite writers. I wish I was half as good as you. :puppy:

If I was a person that actually cried at movies and stuff, I would definitely have cried right then.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I liked the writing but my only problem was how Link went out. ;/
Well, more just the dialogue and the surrounding stuff.

I saw a shadowed figure between two trees and didn’t recognize the shadow. It was shuffling around at the edges of camp, turning over things aggressively. The figure crashed through the leaves, angry, on the hunt. It was likely that Big Brother was watching the figure, too. The shadow was way too close for comfort. I drew back an arrow and shot.

The yelp I heard was disturbingly familiar. I ran in a panic to where the shadow had fallen.

Link lay on his stomach, my arrow in his back, the flames smoldering out in his blood.

“No! No! No!” I cried, kneeling beside him. “I... I didn’t mean to! I thought you were an intruder! I..I..I…”

He looked at me – with those big, blue serious eyes of his. He said “It’s alright. I was looking for you.”

“I’ll save you! Hold on! I’ll take the arrow out! And we’ll get you patched up, and. and...!”

“It’s too late,” he said. “I can feel myself being pulled away. Nice shot, kid. I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

I cried more… I’m pretty sure I became incoherent at that point.

“It’s alright,” he told me. “Survive. Just keep surviving, okay?”

He went still, looking at me. He died with his eyes open, looking up at me with a kind expression. I shook him, but I knew it was futile. He’d been right… I’d got a shot through the back, close to the heart. If I hadn’t hit his heart, I’d surely hit a lung or clipped a major artery. A nice shot, indeed. I did not leave him until I heard the cleanup units coming through the jungle. Their mechanical whirring became deafening by the time I left the spot of my “suicide.”

Firstly, why did she shoot? :/
Secondly, Link's words make it sound like he just didn't care. I feel bad for him. :(

Really, I give this chapter about an 8/10. You write pretty dang excellently. :yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom