• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern My Revamp of the Darknut

LordKorloros

Jared Moore
I had a moment of Fridge Logic, and realised the many flaws with the darknuts in the franchise. Thus, I decided to make some more realistic changes and thought I would share my idea. :D First off, Darknuts are usually high-ranking soldiers, my problems with this is that Darknuts don't seem to be as competent as a man-at-arms so in reality Ganon would not give such heavy and expensive equipment to an imbecil. No MAA or Knight worth his salt wields a sword nearly as big as he is, and makes downward swipes into the ground. That would dull and eventually break the blade. Also Darknuts seem rather slow compared to what they should be. Their shield appears to be around 4-7 inches thick and made of solid steel, if their armor is comparative to their shield (which with soldiers it usually is), their musculature would have to be frighteningly powerful. A man in full armor can move as nimbly and easily as he can without all that weight, thus a Darknut should be able to run at an enemy even in full armor (not this two-stage BS Twilight Princess was pulling). Armor of that thickness would be unbreachable barring cannon fire, heat, or being crushed by a huge weight. With proper equipment and tactics, a company of Darknuts could cause massive casualties to a typical army. Below I will list my improvements on the Darknuts.

#1-Smooth armor with few parts sticking out (billhooks would play havok with the old darknut armor).

#2-Round shields with a bulged face to ****** arrows and gun shot.

#3-A narrower sword, such as a claymore (there is no excuse for those huge swords they currently wield)

#4-Pikemen. The huge frame of the Darknuts would make the huge sarissa spears a devastatingly effective weapon, this allows them to keep mounted soldiers at bay while also enabling them to get at foot soldiers with striking ease.

#5-Belly Guard. The area a typical soldier strikes at on a human would be near the chest, different story with the Darknut as this area becomes the stomach or upper thighs, thus I recommend they use a reinforced belt with an enlarged section in the middle to guard against strikes to the above mentioned areas.

#6-More practical helm. The huge steel crest on the top makes the helm unwieldly and if struck by a stray cannonball or large rock may break the Darknut's neck. The crest could be replaced with horsehair similar to Spartan practice.

I mainly made this because I have a knack for improving military equipment. Please comment with your thoughts. :yes:

Last edited:
Wow. I've never seen anyone make a thread regarding a similar topic. This is very unique. :yes:

I agree with the round shields and belly guards. The helm is pushing it a little already, however, I can see where you're going with this...

In standard military combat, the Darknuts would naturally flank the rear. Such heavy fighters should only be deployed if reinforcements are absolutely necessary.

That being said, Ganondorf should just return to putting Gerudo woman in armor, coining them Iron Kncukles, and calling it a day. That way, he's have power and greater agility among his military's most powerful units.

LordKorloros

Jared Moore
Wow. I've never seen anyone make a thread regarding a similar topic. This is very unique. :yes:

I agree with the round shields and belly guards. The helm is pushing it a little already, however, I can see where you're going with this...

In standard military combat, the Darknuts would naturally flank the rear. Such heavy fighters should only be deployed if reinforcements are absolutely necessary.

That being said, Ganondorf should just return to putting Gerudo woman in armor, coining them Iron Kncukles, and calling it a day. That way, he's have power and greater agility among his military's most powerful units.

I made a post theorizing on what iron knuckles actually were, concluding they were militarised executioners. Search for "Iron Knuckles, what are they" or any post of mine, should show up there if you want to read it. Ganondorf would be best off using wave tactics with the Blins and undead, while using the darknuts as heavy support. The Bokoblins and Bulblins could use crossbows (mechanically simple and higher in power than a longbow though sacrificing rage and ROF). Miniblins could be given cheap leather armor gladii-like swords, possibly small wooden shields.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom