• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Music Competition Week 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Well hello there and welcome to week 14 of the Zelda Dungeon Music Competition. Before we get into this week's entries, I would like to announce that HEY! LISTEN! was the winner last week. Congratulations!

Now last week our theme was NINTENDO'S NEW THEME. I only recieved one entry this week, but nonetheless, it is being put on show!

Burden
Nintendo Song - YouTube

Feel free to comment on the song (I personally thought it was quite catchy ;))

Now, on to the next theme! The theme this week will be....

The Holidays!

Yep! Although I'm not a huge fan of the cheerful Christmas music, I know tons of others are, and I think we should jump into the holiday spirit and make some!

The song must be a cover of a Christmas, Kwanzaa, or Hanukkah song of your choice. You can make the song completely instrumental, a cappella, or mix music and voclas, your choice.

All entries are due (I'll give 3 weeks on this one, just so that we can have it right before Christmas) at 9:00 PM, EST, December 23rd

Last edited:
Burden's piece sounds like a dubstep version of a Mario theme. I agree with you, DH, that it is very catchy and the Mario coins and Link shouts definitely added much personality. My only gripe is that the submission is very short.

The next theme is very appropriate, DH, and in line with the Vanessa's GCC. I wish I had musical talent, however, I hope your competition receives more entries nonetheless. If you're reading this, do the forum a favor and revive the half-dead Music Contest.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
So, where do I submit? Here? Using something like soundcloud?

You submit an entry to the contest by sending me a PM (private message) with a link to the song (this can be using Dropbox, YouTube, Soundcloud, or you can use a download link, like dropbox or mediafire. Please make it simple). Once you've submitted, your work is done and I take it from there, posting the entry after the deadline.

Does that answer your question? ^^

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Question: I really don't understand what covers are, exactly, so I feel the need to ask this. Even if it's someone else's arrangement, as long as it's YOU who's playing it, does it count? I have lots of sheet music that I could play a song off of, but I obviously have not wrote any of it. Is that illegal in any way?

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
I personally thought that the song was kind of dull, and needed a little more than a few sound wavs from the Nintendo games and generic dubstem sound of mario. Although I didn't enter, and haven't been for a while, so don't pay any mind to my non-musical ears. ;)

However, I do intend to enter this next one, as the theme appeals me very much. :)

Question: I really don't understand what covers are, exactly, so I feel the need to ask this. Even if it's someone else's arrangement, as long as it's YOU who's playing it, does it count? I have lots of sheet music that I could play a song off of, but I obviously have not wrote any of it. Is that illegal in any way?

It's doing something like the Zelda theme, or Jingle Bells. Yes, I'm pretty sure it'll count, as that is what has been asked for. ^^ Many musicians that I know have done cover songs, such as Lindsey Stirling, and Taylor Davis. It is very legal as far as I know. ;)

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy

http://www.thefreedictionary.com said:
cover song - a recording of a song that was first recorded or made popular by somebody else

As said in the quote, it's a song that is was done by somebody else that you are doing as well. It's perfectly legal and allowed both in the competition and in real life. As long as you are not taking credit for the song being yours, you're okay. You can take credit for your cover of it since it's your own version and may have your own adaptive parts to it.

Plenty of people make them but it's still a good question ^^

Manolito Mystiq

Innovative Artist
Actually, no. It’s not strictly legal. But just like fansites, tributes, etc., you’ll be okay, as long as you’re not making money out of it.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Actually, no. It’s not strictly legal. But just like fansites, tributes, etc., you’ll be okay, as long as you’re not making money out of it.

Actually, it falls under fair use, and if you want to get into some REALLY technical lawyer speak, it's actually the performance that is copyrighted, not the sheet music; so you can cover a song and be perfectly fine because you're performing it. So it's fine, especially since no money is changing hands here.

More to the point, if I can find the right song I have every intention of actually entering this one, even if I'm not a big fan of Christmas music either.

Manolito Mystiq

Innovative Artist
No, it doesn't fall under fair use.
This site explains it well: Criminal Creativity: Untangling Cover Song Licensing on YouTube | Wired Business | Wired.com

Esmée Denters is one of many examples whose account was deactivated for infringing copyrights, while she was only covering songs.
Again, I was just saying that strictly speaking one should get permission, but usually you're fine--some artists even encourage it.
I covered many Nintendo tunes on YouTube, so I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I do ask for permission, and fortunately got some (by the composers of Dune 2000, Shadows of the Empire, and Forsaken).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom