• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Motion Controlled Gaming

N

NosirrahK

Hello. As this is my first post on this forum I'd like to introduce myself, even if you won't remember me. I am Nosirrah, a white and nerdy kid who plays or thinks about video games non-stop, like to programme programmes, and solve Rubik's Cubes and other spacial relationship puzzles. I wanted to just to ask a simple question (really), but after reviewing my post, it seems I just wrote a newspaper article. If you don't want to read the whole thing :(, my main point and question are at the end.

Recently a couple of my friends and I got into a little conversation on the direction of video gaming, with more and more motion controlled video games being released (like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword) and fewer button pressing games, are video games turning more into exercise machines? This conversation started when a friend asked me if I was as anxious over Skyward Sword as he was and I said 'No' to see his grin turn upside-down. He replied saying 'the game will include many new features like the beetle-grapple claw thing, and shooting arrows through hearts onto fences', and I replied saying 'the game will include the Wii motion plus'.

My friend and I have different styles of gameplay. I don't really know his style that much, but my style is more laid back and casual, solving puzzles and sword fighting. The first Zelda game I played was Wind Waker, and my cousin said "Good choice". I love that game; I love the fighting, I love the story, I love the cartoony-kid feel, and I love the seagulls. Then I played Ocarina of Time (I'm not as good with OoT as I am with WW), Phantom Hourglass, the original for the Nes, and a few more. If you haven't noticed the pattern here, all these games require button smashing, perfect timing, and a bean bag.

I then got my hands on Twilight Princess for the Wii in Christmas '08 (I'm a little late on the "New Things" train) and it was okay having to flick my wrist to swing the sword (bean bag was still used), but that just seemed to be an added gimmick, in fact, one of the only things I absolutely love about Twilight Princess is the ability to point at the screen to aim. Upon first reading about the new Zelda game as soon rumours were first speculated, I read that the game would have Twilight Princess' character models with Wind Waker's cartoony look and would take place before Ocarina of Time, before the Master Sword. At this time I was jumping for joy, thinking this new Zelda will combine everything I ever loved in a Zelda game, but my jumping was cut short on the knowledge that they'd be adding a few new things (mainly the Wii Motion Plus).

I am an old generation gamer; though I was born in 1996, I grew up with Sonic and Ecco on the MegaDrive and DreamCast, and Mario and Zelda on the Nes, Nintendo 64, and GameCube. I have always loved games with terrible graphics, cos terrible graphics (sometimes) mean great gameplay.

Personally, I don't like motion controlled games. I want to be able to sit down by the fire, listen to the rain, and play my Pokémon, Zelda, Mario, Animal Crossing, Sonic, whatever video game for 20 hours straight until my eyes are red and I have spastic shocks, and not until I'm tired and exhausted and can't feel my feet, arms, heart, brain, and anything else that aches. I never really liked the Wii Sports games, not just cos they're simple and stupid, but cos they're heavily motion controlled. As you can probably tell, I am not a Wii Athlete.

I think motion controlled video games will last longer to new gamers, people just beginning to button smash, than old gamers, people who have played for years. New gamers would think these motion games are a gift from their God(s) while older gamers would know that there's still a good button smashing video game out there. But who knows, maybe the new gamers would wonder "Is this it?" and want a new type of game and not another Wii Motion Plus game, and older gamers, likewise, would like a new type of gameplay instead of just the button smashing.

(I'm gonna go off on a little Skyward Sword rant okay?) I don't plan on getting Skyward Sword for the game as much as a collector's item (I probably pissed off a lot of people by saying that) unless the game turns out to be überly fantastic (hopefully I am forgiven). My opinion of Skyward Sword is swayed by control gimmicks and other bad things I don't like, to story, puzzles (and not the eye-door), and other things I do like. After seeing screen shots, trailers, hearing about it from my friends, and other sources, my opinion gauge is hovering in the middle.

One majour thing they are implementing to Skyward Sword (I think) is a limited time to hold your bow and slingshot. If Wind Waker used rank titles, I'd be classified as sniper. Sometimes I would stock up on arrows, go to an area smothered with enemies and stuff to shoot (like Bird's Peak Rock with all the kargarocs flying around and the buttons on top of the peaks) and shoot them. I have even almost perfected the art; there are some videos of my amazing (not so amazing) Wind Waker skills on my YouTube channel (NosirrahKaraneeum). This new timer is definitely a new gimmick that Zelda snipers aren't used to, and I wouldn't be surprised if Wind Waker snipers will turn to Skyward Sword swordsmen or a whip maniac.

That pretty much sums up my story, now what's your's? What's your style of gameplay and what do you think of motion controlled games? Do you think this fad will last, or will it fall short and not last as long as gaming companies want it to?

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
My gameplan is first to know where am I starting. Then I see if I'm stuck which I always do in water temples. My thoughts of motion controls is pretty to play. Like TP or SSBB. Um, I think that this fad will last until they make a new system or something.

first off welcome to Zelda dungeon.I am an old school gamer myself, i started off with the Sega genesis when i was 6 and have been playing video games ever since. i consider myself a button masher as well, i love laying on my bed and playing games whilst there is nothing else to do. the motion controls i don't mind, i'm ok with idea of moving my body to play a game, im fat anyway so i need some exercise. it just pushes my buttons when you say you will not be getting Skyward Sword because of the motion controls. I mean come on man you know its going to be a great game, but because you hate motion controls you think its gonna suck? I hope you get past the hate of moving your body to play a game, and i really do change your opinion on Skyward Sword.

I don't mind motion controls that much. But I do like being able to sit on my beanbag and play a game, like I've been doing since I was 3 with Mario Kart 64. I honestly think the massive amounts of motion control that will probably be in Skyward Sword are more of a gimmick, but it'll most likely end up being completely and totally awesome.

I'll still end up sitting on my beanbag playing it, even if it makes the game harder :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom