• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Most Unbelievable Game Announcement

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Resident Evil 2 Remake, Streets of Rage 4, and Metroid Dread. RE2 and Dread being games I've waited and been wanting for almost 20 years and all felt like pipe dreams due to circumstances that had occurred in the gaming industry between those long years.

The idea of a Resident Evil 2 remake first became popular with me and I'm sure many in 2002 after the release of Resident Evil 0, as the series not only had an incredible new template to follow after the first Resident Evil Remake, but also took us back to a familiar section from RE2 that just couldn't help but bring to mind what it would be like if the whole game was remade. But when Capcom first announced Resident Evil 2 Remake back in 2015, they were in no position to be handling such a beloved survival horror game given their half-assed attempts at survival horror with RE5's Lost in Nightmares DLC, the Revelations spin-off series, and the overall action focused direction of the mainline series. Then Resident Evil 7 happened and proved Capcom had the chops to make a proper survival horror game, but made it nothing like Resident Evil. The fact that Resident Evil 2 Remake came out as great as it did is still mind blowing to me today and something they still can't seem to get right again, but its impact and how it basically resurrected not just a genre, but a series of dead franchises, and popularized remakes is just completely insane.

Metroid Dread on the other hand wasn't always as bleak, as the franchise remained relatively healthy after Metroid Fusion with the release of Zero Mission, the Prime trilogy, Prime Hunters, and Other M. But then the series faced a bit of a drought and it became increasingly worrying that we weren't ever getting another 2D Metroid until the too little too late Samus Returns in 2017. An excellent modern take on 2D Metroid, but the victim of poor timing. However, that didn't stop them from teasing a sequel and while another 2D Metroid was expected, I never thought I'd ever see the words Metroid 5 on screen which just absolutely blew my mind. But the most shocking revelation was when the game's official title was revealed. Metroid Dread was gaming myth for as long as I had regular access to the internet and it was finally a reality. It's still unreal to me that since the age of 7, it's just always been a fact that Metroid Fusion was the last chronological game in the series and now we live in a world where Metroid 5 exists and 6 is likely on the horizon and it only took 19 years, 2 kids, and 3 divorces.

Streets of Rage was a series I had gotten into around 2007 through the Wii's virtual console as it was something my older brother remembered from his youth. We played through Streets of Rage 2 100s of times over the years. It was such a perfect beat 'em up and one that had yet to be topped, but then there was Streets of Rage 3. A game that innovated on Streets of Rage 2's gameplay and formula and should have been better for it, but just wasn't. Playthrough after playthrough of Streets of Rage 2 just became more and more procedural for us because we knew the game like the back of our hands and I'd always find myself wanting some of those cool mechanics from SoR3 in a better game like SoR2 and would constantly envision what a modern take could bring to the table. Then a new entry was announced. I didn't think many people were clamoring for another game or even as active in this series as my brother and I were. It was a long forgotten IP like many others Sega had left by the wayside so it never felt like nothing more than a pipe dream and the fact that it led to yet another dream come true in TMNT Shredder's Revenge is just f*cking awesome.

Last edited:

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Probably Dread or the new Fantasy Life, simply because I wasn't expecting them to be working on those. Dread especially, even if it's no Metroid Prime 4 we haven't gotten anything for that series in a while.
Not exactly unbelievable since I figured it was coming but the totk announcement had me shook. I was literally hyperventilating I was so excited XD

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Halo 4 was another announcement I did not expect after Bungie stopped working on Halo, and the reins were handed over to 343. I remember being obsessed with that trailer back in 2011.
Yes, same dude! I remember reading that Bungie was done with Halo and wouldn't be continuing Master Chief's story and I was so bummed about it until 343 just came out of nowhere with Halo 4. That E3 announcement trailer still goes so hard today. The lead up to Halo 4 was one of the greatest for me right after Halo 3.

Also, another unbelievable announcement that I forgot despite mentioning Shredder's Revenge is easily the Ninja Turtles Cowabunga Collection. Nobody saw that coming, especially with Konami not having had the rights to the IP since 2007.

Same with the Max Payne remakes by Remedy despite Rockstar owning the rights. It's just a shame James McCaffery is no longer with us. Hopefully they just end up reusing his lines because nobody else should ever voice Max Payne.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
There are a lot of game announcements that either surprised me, or were very epic. If we're going by unbelievable based on pure spectacle, I'd say Breath of the Wild's E3 reveal in 2016 comes to mind. It just made the game look way better than I ever imagined it would be when we first saw it in 2014.

This was way before I was an Elder Scrolls fan, but I cannot deny Skyrim looked really cool to me back in the day. It seemed like almost everyone was hyped for it. I would've bought it back then if I would've had an Xbox 360.

This Ghost of Tsushima trailer from The Game Awards really knocked my socks off. I still haven't played the game, I want to so badly!

I had no idea what Nier was at the time, and I didn't buy Nier Automata until this year actually, but I do remember seeing this trailer in 2015. I felt it was so awesome. The combat looked so epic, and the music was fantastic. I love how the entire vibe and energy of this wasn't lost in the game considering this was two years before it released.

These are only a few that come to mind, but there are more I could list.

If we're going unbelievable based on sheer surprise of the announcement, hands down, Donkey Kong Country Returns. There was no indication at all that it was even a thing, so I lost it when it was revealed.

I felt like the reveal for Tears of the Kingdom in 2019 was a pleasant surprise, very unexpected. I didn't realize what it even was for the first few seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom