• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Monster Hunter Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Alongside Rise, we also got a reveal for a sequel to Monster Hunter Stories. This is pretty exciting.

The first Stories game was a spin-off turn-based RPG that reminded a lot of people of Pokemon. You get a team of six monsties in your party, after all. The main difference here is you fight alongside them with a hunter's weapon. The rock-paper-scissors combat style was surprisingly fun at times, and just as risky as it sounds. The game was heavily focused on story, as the name suggests. You play as a brand new monster Rider, a people who live side-by-side with monsters in towns and raise them from eggs. This isn't unusual to see in hunter cities up to a certain extent, as small monsters like Aptonoths are raised as livestock. But Riders take this much farther by befriending and raising all types of monsters, even the dangerous and powerful ones. This caused them to become oppressed and driven into obscurity by the rest of the world. This first game focused on reintroducing Riders to the Hunter world, while investigating the mysterious Black Blight that's poisoning the land.

Stories 2 seems to be following a similar pattern of story-telling. It's unclear how much time has passed since the first game, but it seems to take place in a Rider village that pays great respect to the Rathalos. We only ever saw one Rider village in the first game, but we were told that there were others. I'm assuming this would be one of them. It seems like some unusual blight is driving Rathalos from their territories, and infecting other monsters and making them go berserk. This looks a lot like how the Black Blight worked, they're just glowing red now instead of black. I'm curious to see what the difference here is.

We haven't seen any gameplay at all yet, but I'm expecting a return of the rock-paper-scissors combat with improvements. However, I am concerned about the protagonist. In the first game, they were a silent protag until the very end of the game, but here they seem to be fully voiced right from the start and have a very defined personality and presence in the story and lore. I'm concerned that this will mean you cannot customize them in this game, which would make me really sad as the first game had a really great character creator. This game is even more gorgeous than the first, so it'll be a real shame if this game doesn't continue with that.

More than anything else, though, I'm really happy that this game is happening because without it, Stories would have ended up just like Fantasy Life on the 3DS; the only sequel being a bad Japan-only mobile game that literally no one likes or asked for. Stories 2 is a real savior here. Can't wait to see more about it.

I enjoyed the demo of the first game I played, it's the only Monster Hunter game I've actually liked playing, but I wasn't interested in the world or characters.

This one has a lovely visual style, it looks really cool and I like the character designs, but I won't be buying this.

Maybe if they ported the first game so that both were on Switch so I didn't miss out on story in this story-centric game, but nah. The world of Monster Hunter has never felt compelling enough to have a story based RPG in.

Still though, nice visuals.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
So a bit of an overview on the new info revealed at TGS:

• The first game had 4 weapon choices: Sword and Shield, Great Sword, Hammer, and Hunting Horn. They revealed at TGS that they are adding two more weapon types from the main series, but they didn't say which two.
  • The scene in the trailer with the Rider facing off against a Tigrex is not the protagonist, it's the legendary Rider named Red who the protag is descended from.
  • Character customization is indeed a thing again, and it looks to be just as good as last time.
  • The wyverian girl's name is Ena.

unknown.png

I really like that they got highlights in that one girl's hair. I hope thats an option for all hairstyles and not just that one. Can't wait to see more customization.

Tomorrow there will be a stream showing off gameplay, so we will finally get a look at that.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The stream for MHST2 today did not in fact show gameplay. I could have sworn they said yesterday that they would have gameplay to show for it along with Rise. Guess it was a mistake. Dang. There wasn't even any new information other than the fact that Ena has a kinship stone despite not being a Rider. Like, that was the only new thing we learned. What was the point of that stream? It was almost exactly the same as yesterday's.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Some more info. I believe these were leaked. I'm really happy with the graphical changes, especially to the character designs. It's looking really good.

5fb5316.png

ffcea3f.jpg

28760fa.jpg

Apparently there were also some plot leaks, but I haven't seen them. I was mostly interested in just these.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

This trailer was really impressive. I'm very much looking forward to getting this game. Visually, it looks leaps and bounds improved over the first game. Plot wise it doesn't seem like you need to know about the first game, either. I am happy to see Navirou returning for this one, though. Love him. I'll likely be preordering the deluxe edition.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
So a bit of an overview on the new info revealed at TGS:

• The first game had 4 weapon choices: Sword and Shield, Great Sword, Hammer, and Hunting Horn. They revealed at TGS that they are adding two more weapon types from the main series, but they didn't say which two.
  • The scene in the trailer with the Rider facing off against a Tigrex is not the protagonist, it's the legendary Rider named Red who the protag is descended from.
  • Character customization is indeed a thing again, and it looks to be just as good as last time.
  • The wyverian girl's name is Ena.

unknown.png

I really like that they got highlights in that one girl's hair. I hope thats an option for all hairstyles and not just that one. Can't wait to see more customization.

Tomorrow there will be a stream showing off gameplay, so we will finally get a look at that.
I completely forgot to say this way back, but the guy on the bottom left looks like rex from xenoblade 2, right down to the sword stance

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
The new trailer looks fantastic. Definitely getting WW vibes. I might look into picking it up. That deluxe edition is pretty tempting, ngl.

Also good that you don't have to play the original before playing Wings of Ruin.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

New trailer was really good! So excited to see Lilia and Reverto returning alongside Navirou. The gameplay looks really polished, too. Also, seems like gunlance is the 6th weapon type. My dual blades..... where are they..... I'll probably just stick to sword and shield and great sword like I did in the first game. Might do bow depending on which character I make.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

This trailer was sick. I'm really happy to see more returning characters like Avinia! And seeing Reverto so involved is nice. The info they shared about the channeling rites was nice, too. And I'm so thrilled about the battle buddies being a thing to team up with NPCs. I live for that sort of thing. This game looks better and better all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom