• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Help MM-New to Zelda Games and Need Help

I have just started playing Zelda games. With the help of this web site, I managed to get through TP and SS. It did take me a while, as these are my very first games ever. I just downloaded MM for the Wii and started playing. For some reason, using the Wii Classic controller has taken me a long time to figure it out. So, if you don't mind some newbie questions:

1. How in the world do you accomplish the quick spin? I have gone through the first dungeon and visited the Great Fairy and can do the spin attack that uses my magic green, but can't do the quick spin. I have tried turning the analog stick, but Link just runs in a circle. :-)

2. It took me almost 2 1/2 days to get through Woodfall dungeon, and I saved the princess and was trying to get the Mask of Scents, but kept getting lost and having to restart. So, I left that and am going to try Koume's game for a piece of the heart. Now, my other question is this, in TP or SS, it was SO easy to shoot the bow. In MM, I am having problems lining up my shot. Any hints? I read that you should push B repeatedly, but when I do, nothing happens. Is the Wii controller different?

3. Last one, IF I run out of time and can't complete these sidequests, can I come back to them without going through the dungeon all over? Can I just defeat the Boss of Woodfall again?

Thanks for any and all help. Just so you know, I am a grandmother, almost retired from teaching math for the last 25 yrs or so, and received a Wii for Christmas last year. I have been learning how to use the controls, and can now make Link run in a straight line. Not having grown up playing games, this is all very new to me. And, to tell the truth, it's been the most enjoyable thing I've done in a long time. So, please bear with me and my questions. :-)
Again, thanks! Susan

Once you defeat the boss and get their mask you don't have to do the dungeon again you can just teleport straight to the boss fight.
Also one thing that is going to help alot is as soon as you restart at the dawn of the first day play the song of time backwards if you're not already doing so and it slows down time dramatically.
As for the quick spin you just have to rotate the stick quickly and hit attack at almost the same time...it can be a pain to get the hang of.
And lastly as far as the bow goes this one is just going to take time to get used to since you learned how to use a bow with a wiimote but after a bit of playing you should pick it up pretty fast and to my knowledge pressing B repeatedly doesn't do anything.
BTW it's awesome that you started playing this series I wish everyone could experience Zelda at least once.

Last edited:

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
Well, to begin, I like to say welcome to not only gaming but also Zelda! I can't think of a better game series to start with!:D

As for your questions;

1. I'm not sure how to explain it...try spinning the stick and pressing the button at the same time.

2. All I can say for this is keep practicing...it's something that comes with practice and patience.

3. If you run out of time and you're forced to play the Song of Time, you can enter Woodfall again and fight the boss immediately to restore the area so you can complete your side-quest. Also there's a song you can play on your Ocarina that slows down time, it's the song of time backwards.

I realize these aren't the best answers but I'm not sure how else to explain it, I hope I've managed to help. Good luck.

thanks, the biggest concern was not having time to complete the side quests, and knowing I can just go and defeat Odolwa again and everything will be restored (the water is normal again)--that would give me time to get the Mask of Scents and the heart piece from the shooting game.

I'll just keep plugging away. Oh, one more thing, if I open a saved file (from the owl statue), and hit restore, does it go back to the first day (when I started this quest for the Deku Palace) or to the saved owl file?
Susan

It'll start you back at the owl statue, but it's only a temporary save: if you were to turn off without saving after starting at the owl statue, you'll be thrown back to your last first day save. At least, that's what I've heard. I never used the owl statues.

On the topic of aiming the bow, it is awful. If you're going for the 100%, there's a minigame (the Clock Town Shooting Gallery) that is incredibly, incredibly difficult, and you will have to practice a lot to get it.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
If you mean starting the game up, like picking your file to start playing again, then yes. But only if there is an owl head next to the file will it take you to the last owl statue you saved at. If there isn't an owl face it will just restart you from the last time you played the Song of Time.

Majora's Cat

How about that
1. Well, I do agree that the Classic Controller makes it slightly more difficult to execute the move, but you'll get the hang of it. You need to rotate the joystick in a circle while simultaneously press the B button. I find what works best it rotating the joystick and pressing the button a few times to make sure that the Spin Attack is executed. Once you have it down, it's really useful because it doesn't drain your Magic Meter.

2. Yeah, the Mask of Scents quest was rather difficult. This may be pretty obvious, but it's easiest to complete as Deku Link. I would say that the sensitivity of the Classic Controller is a little bit higher, which makes lining up shots tougher than using the GameCube Controller. It just takes practice. I wasn't so great at it first, but I've been able to ace all of the shooting gallery sidequests through lots of hard work and repetition. And when you're not limited to a certain number of Arrows in a shooting gallery, I suggest spamming the B button. You did say that it doesn't work, then perhaps holding down the B button will.

3. There will be a symbol at the beginning of the dungeon that takes you directly to the boss. This will be the case of every dungeon in the game, meaning you can revisit the bosses and attempt the sidequests that require dungeon completion as many times as you like. :>

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I have just started playing Zelda games. With the help of this web site, I managed to get through TP and SS. It did take me a while, as these are my very first games ever. I just downloaded MM for the Wii and started playing. For some reason, using the Wii Classic controller has taken me a long time to figure it out. So, if you don't mind some newbie questions:

1. How in the world do you accomplish the quick spin? I have gone through the first dungeon and visited the Great Fairy and can do the spin attack that uses my magic green, but can't do the quick spin. I have tried turning the analog stick, but Link just runs in a circle. :-)

Takes practice, some times even i still run/slash in circles trying to do it. But you turn a full rotation of the stick and hit B right at the end, if a good circle was done and you timed it right, he'll do the spin attack with out having to charge it.

2. It took me almost 2 1/2 days to get through Woodfall dungeon, and I saved the princess and was trying to get the Mask of Scents, but kept getting lost and having to restart. So, I left that and am going to try Koume's game for a piece of the heart. Now, my other question is this, in TP or SS, it was SO easy to shoot the bow. In MM, I am having problems lining up my shot. Any hints? I read that you should push B repeatedly, but when I do, nothing happens. Is the Wii controller different?

Don't know about the wii, but the original N64, you're really aiming for the middle of the screen, which is just a bit above where the bow is actually pointing.

3. Last one, IF I run out of time and can't complete these sidequests, can I come back to them without going through the dungeon all over? Can I just defeat the Boss of Woodfall again?

yes as long as you saved (played the song of time) after having beaten the boss. you'll have on your quest status subscreen, Odowalla's Remains. When you return to the temple again, you'll be able to teleport back to the boss fight directly.
Thanks for any and all help. Just so you know, I am a grandmother, almost retired from teaching math for the last 25 yrs or so, and received a Wii for Christmas last year. I have been learning how to use the controls, and can now make Link run in a straight line. Not having grown up playing games, this is all very new to me. And, to tell the truth, it's been the most enjoyable thing I've done in a long time. So, please bear with me and my questions. :-)
Again, thanks! Susan

Notice the bolded with the quote for my responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom