• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Misspellings and mispronunciations that annoy you

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
When some accents in England intentionally miss out words for no reason. For example a normal sentence would be "I'm going to the park" and it is instead said like so: "I'm going t' ... park". Why?

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Not necessarily a mispronunciation as much as an accent, but people from the UK or Australia saying the word "no". Instead of just "no" it's something more closely resembling "nawee"....hard to describe over text but the final sound is definitely an "e" sound. Bugs me for some reason.

Ugh Ikr I always mocked @Beauts for doing this 'naweer'

I still don't know wtf either of you are talking about tbh, I mean I get that we emphasise the 'o' sound a bit more but I'm not sure where you're getting this butcherised version of our accents? Who is Australian here? @Jimmy.F27 ? What do you think of this accusation? :ananger: I mean I can sort of hear it a bit more with Australian accents but still not enough to merit a whole extra syllable?

When some accents in England intentionally miss out words for no reason. For example a normal sentence would be "I'm going to the park" and it is instead said like so: "I'm going t' ... park". Why?

Lmao that Yorkshire accent. It reminds me of how some Welsh people put the word 'to' in at random intervals in a sentence, like they'll say 'where to you going?' instead of 'where are you going'. Neither of these really bother me but the UK could have it's own thread for the differences in the way we speak.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I still don't know wtf either of you are talking about tbh, I mean I get that we emphasise the 'o' sound a bit more but I'm not sure where you're getting this butcherised version of our accents? Who is Australian here? @Jimmy.F27 ? What do you think of this accusation? :ananger: I mean I can sort of hear it a bit more with Australian accents but still not enough to merit a whole extra syllable?

Lmao that Yorkshire accent. It reminds me of how some Welsh people put the word 'to' in at random intervals in a sentence, like they'll say 'where to you going?' instead of 'where are you going'. Neither of these really bother me but the UK could have it's own thread for the differences in the way we speak.
I have no idea what they are talking about either to be honest. Here is me saying no:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1oxM5dYYH5w

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
One more that bugs me. My mom insists on it all the time. A really weird, bizarre, and annoying way of saying orange. It's so odd I'm not even sure how to spell out how it sounds.

Okay... I'll try to explain, take the pronunciation of the word "oink". but replace the "k" sound with a "g" sound like in the word "gem" and that's how she pronounces orange.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
ZD Champion
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
"Exhist" instead of "exist"

@Spiritual Mask Salesman please stop doing this
I don't recall ever spelling exhist as exist, if I did it must have been in the Shoutbox, were I tend to misspell a lot. If I do it in posts it must be one of those things were I make a small error and don't catch it. Either way I know for a fact I don't go around using the word “Exhist” very often. If I do make this mistake often and don't catch it than I apoligize for it annoying you, I'll work on it.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I don't recall ever spelling exhist as exist, if I did it must have been in the Shoutbox, were I tend to misspell a lot. If I do it in posts it must be one of those things were I make a small error and don't catch it. Either way I know for a fact I don't go around using the word “Exhist” very often. If I do make this mistake often and don't catch it than I apoligize for it annoying you, I'll work on it.
No, you spell exist as "exhist". Exhist is the wrong spelling. Not exist. Exist is the right spelling. Drives me nuts lol

Disasterbate5k

Shubadawoo
When people see my name (Dominick) and proceed to call me "Dominique". Pretty sure I'm not a woman.
Plus I plan on teaching ESL, so I tend to be quite the grammar Nazi in general. I have a pretty strong dislike for internet or l33t speak in general because of it, which annoys people when I text them because I will rarely use shorthand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom