• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Memories of Your First Time Playing Ocarina of Time

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
We all have many memories of our first playthroughs of games, and they are always different. So, in honor of the soon to be Ocarina of Time 3DS, what are you memories from your first Ocarina playthrough, and what memories do you hope to gain from this new game?

My first playthrough is a silly one -which I'm sure a few of you heard before- but it goes like this:

I was at least 6-7 years old in my cousin's house. I was fairly young and only owned a Sega Genesis -though I didn't buy more than 4 games for it- so when I saw his N64 I had to play it. Ocarina was already in it, so I thought, why not. I turned on the thing and started playing. My cousin's save file was for Dodongo's cavern and I was scared out of my wits. I ran out of the cave and then I saw a goron. I was scared once more, but I tried to fight it. When that didn't work I ran into the cavern again. Eventually this became so repetitious that I just left the N64 on.

Now for this game, I hope to find a new love for Ocarina as a whole. Although I doubt a lot of it's going to be different other than graphical changes, I hope that this game can revitalize the fire of my Zelda loving soul.

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
Nice memories, CwS.

For me, the strangest memory was of me being scared out of my pants by Wallmasters in the Forest Temple. I'm not scared of Wallmasters anymore. Even in the Shadow Temple. But in the WW, yes I am. Those, now THOSE creep me out.

But back on topic, Wallmasters were my strangest memory. My best memory was buying a Giant's Knife, and breaking it, thinking that it wasn't supposed to do that and that some how I'd broken my VC OoT. I didn't, obviously.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
i remember not being able to get past the deku tree for 2 weeks because i didn't now how to get rid of the web that was blocking the door, i had no idea that I had to take a deku stick light it on fire and burn the web down. I believe I was 5yrs old :)

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I have memories like the ones above for Twilight Princess, but sadly not for Ocarina of time :( I only bought my copy of the collector's edition a month or so ago. I really like all the connections between TP and Oot, though :)

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I only started to play OoT like two years ago so my memories of it are fresh. I remember I loved to play it. I went to work and hurried back home and continued to play it.
These were great times! I couldn't wait to get home and to go to the next dungeon. I have the most memories of the mini dungeon where you get the Iron Booths. It was around Christmas and it was cold and I was doing the puzzle where you had to move those iceblocks. I could spend hours with it because I loved that dungeon so much. These were great times!

Hm... well, I first heard of Ocarina of Time when my mom bought me the Collector's Edition guide book because it had maps in it for the first LoZ game, so... I was all wowed by the graphics. I have to think this was only at least... well, I was in third grade, so... *does some mental calculations* that was, like what... six years ago? Well, back then, I've only seen the first three games: LoZ, AoL, and ALttP. So, yeah...

My first time to actually get to play the game was surprisingly four years ago--yes, sadly. It was that five-minute trial thing on Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Heh... So sad, right? We just had purchased the Wii--which was the first system that would have even been capable of running the game that my family owns (NES, GBA, DS, Wii). So... yeah. So, I had fun with that... and the ReDeads in the Market... not so much. xD

And finally, on Christmas of 2009, I received the Collector's Edition game, so now I could actually truly play it on my Wii (I don't have it connected to Wi-Fi, so VC isn't an option for me). Within the first week, I got to Jabu-Jubu's Belly, then randomly dropped the game. I have no clue why... got distracted I guess.

Um... well, yesterday, in fact, was the day I actually decided to resume playing. :/ And... yah. I got so excited that I was actually going to make progress. =D Well, not so much the progress part as it was seeing Ganondorf. :p Oh, but after I was trying to get the Ocarina out of the moat, I was still surprisingly clueless (that guidebook was in a pile by the wii games, but why should I use it when I have the power of common sense)... My common sense must have been broken because I was actually trying to get it out of the water with the boomerang. :sweat:

Well, yah. I have no clue how I'm such a Zelda fan when I haven't hardly done anything with one of the greatest games in the franchise. Don't you just love me for my clueless-ness, though? The sad part is that that fail in the moat took place yesterday, so... I'm still laughing in my mind about it.

I was 8 in '98 when it came out, it was my brothers game at the time. He had a bunch of games and I always use to just play his files so I could run around and explore lol. did just that with his file and just spent hours and hours exploring Hyrule. I LOVED IT!
Now I tried to beat it myself but I was like 10 or 11 when I finally realized I had to dive into the water and press the switch in that one room with the water and moving platform in the Deku Tree. I always got stuck there and couldn't figure out how to get past that spike thing :P
But my earliest memories were just exploring the wonder that was Hyrule. For those of you who are younger you might not get the same sense since game maps are so huge this day, but back then there was nothing like it. The world felt truly huge and wondrous even if by today's standards it was kind of small. There was no game like it then. Heck nothing like that had really come out before period, 3D games were still in their infancy more or less and OOT brought it up to a whole new level.
When MM came out me and my friend both got it for christmas and we had similar experiences there, but OOT always has the best memories for me, one of those games that really defined my childhood.

Last edited:
C

Caleb, Of Asui

I have fond memories of Ocarina of Time. It was one of the first games I ever played. Before I had really only played a few Harry Potter games for PC (and the GBA version of the thrid one ^_^), then when I was about 7 or 8 years old my older brother got a GameCube for his birthday and it came with Collector's Edition. I wasn't really very adept at playing anything back then, so I just watched my brother play. I remember thinking the game only went up to the end of the Deku Tree, then it continued directly on with Majora's Mask. XD I also thought there was some sort of relationship between Ocarina of Time and RPG Maker, which I was using a lot at the time. I remember seeing the "charas" in RPG Maker (didn't know it meant characters) and thought they were supposed to all be Kokiri, and that the other set of characters were something else in Zelda. Fun times. ^_^

C

Chainmail Tunic

I started when I was about 9. My greatest memory was finding out how horrifying the well was. Honestly, it freaked me out so much that I often just deleted my file and made a new one so I could use that as an excuse not to go into the well or Shadow Temple. Eventually I had played through the game so many times that I had memorized every single puzzle and trick to the game except for the well, shadow temple, and a couple of heart piece places. To this day I can remember every single puzzle.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
My memories mostly include cutting grass, suicide in Kakariko Village, and running away from Stalchildren in Hyrule Field. Some other memories inculde the soiling of underwear when confronting a ReDead and handing over the controller to my dad when the game got too difficult. I also played the game with my friend Skyler. I remember watching him fight King Dodongo while I was screaming "BOMBS, BOMBS! USE THE BOMBS! KILL IT!!!" or something along those lines.

After watching my older brother play and beat it, and I'd play some parts, I decided to beat the game completely by myself. I did alright until (as if it's a surprise) I got to the water temple. Got stuck and gave up for a few months. A long while later I turned on the game determined to beat the water temple, and I did. After that it was smooth sailing.

I first played OoT when it came out for the N64 in 1998.
I must say i was blown away bu it.

I could not believe how big the levels where compared to LttP.
And the music to each level was different and it was really good music perfect for each level.
In dact the music for each place was perfect.

And seeing Ganon in human form on his black horse when you where on your way to Hyrule castle after having collected all 3 spiritual stones and how the music changed is one of the best gaming moments ecer.

And the cutscene where you met Ganon on his horse, got the Master sword,transformed into adult link,met Sheik and left the Temple of time is one of the greatest cutscens and is quite emotional for me.

And seeing Gorons,and Zoras for the first time was really nice.
It was great seeing new races and how they talked with you.
It scared me and sent shivers up my spine.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
My memories mostly include cutting grass, suicide in Kakariko Village, and running away from Stalchildren in Hyrule Field. Some other memories inculde the soiling of underwear when confronting a ReDead and handing over the controller to my dad when the game got too difficult. I also played the game with my friend Skyler. I remember watching him fight King Dodongo while I was screaming "BOMBS, BOMBS! USE THE BOMBS! KILL IT!!!" or something along those lines.

Bwahaha, that's shirt worthy right there.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I only played it for the first time around two years ago. Borrowed the collector's disk from a friend (I still have it and he hasn't dared to ask for it back)!

Let's see... I remember just completing the Shadow Temple and feeling victorious because Bongo Bongo was harrowing, had just been transported to the Chamber of Sages to talk with Impa and a knock came on my door. Grumbling, I answered it. Jehova's Witnesses.

flaming pickle

SPUDOW!!!
I played it the day it came out when I was three, and had the crap thoroughly scared out of me by the deku tree. Thee skulltulas inside freaked me out. Good times in the forest temple boss room. I used my other savings when I was 6 only to replay tha boss, so i'm glad that on the 3D version they will have a boss chalange mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom