• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Master Sword Powers?

Zurriel

BeStrongandofgoodCourage!
I have a question about the master sword. What happens when some evil touches it. They don't die, otherwise Ganon would be dead with the first swing. So what happens to them?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well evil hands can't touch it. I imagine that Ganon would not be able to hold the thing at least for very long, it would probably be like holding a red hot iron for him.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I would think that refers to using it. Otherwise, Ganondorf wouldn't have needed to wait for Link to draw it in Ocarina of Time so he could get into the Sacred Realm. It's probably like Ganonking said.

Then there's the case of Ghirahim being able to steal it from Link in the Lightning Round... I don't think that counts, because when Link first fought Ghirahim in those boss battle the Master Sword was still just the Goddess Sword. Evil probably didn't have much of a problem holding it while it was in that state.

But, that's just me trying to explain away some of Nintendo's discrepancies...

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I have a question about the master sword. What happens when some evil touches it. They don't die, otherwise Ganon would be dead with the first swing. So what happens to them?
I mainly think it refers to one actually welding the blade, however maybe it refers to the fact that evil can't actually weild the blade from the original pedestal.

Last edited:

Zurriel

So evil can't use the blade, great. But then why is it different from any other sword when used in battle against someone against someone like Ganon. In reply to Ganonking I'm pretty sure it would hurt being stabbed from any sword, regardless if it felt like red hot iron. So why is it so important than? (Sorry if that sounded mean at all. I love the master sword, just curious.
)

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
So evil can't use the blade, great. But then why is it different from any other sword when used in battle against someone against someone like Ganon. In reply to Ganonking I'm pretty sure it would hurt being stabbed from any sword, regardless if it felt like red hot iron. So why is it so important than? (Sorry if that sounded mean at all. I love the master sword, just curious.
)

I would assume that Ganondorf's incredible power would make attacks from normal weapons useless, but since the Master Sword has the power to slay evil, unlike other swords, it will have an effect on him. It's simply that the Master Sword is more effective against evil than any regular sword. That's what I think.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
As best I know, and can explain, the Master Sword is granted a power that Hylia herself bestowed upon it. Its ability is basically vanquishing a foe swiftly and more effectively than other sword types (like with how it dealt more damage than, say, the antecedent Goddess Sword), thus how it earns its title: the Blade of Evil's Bane. In my knowledge, no other sword has surpassed the MS's potency. It's an icon to Hylia's people, and plausibly runs on their gauges of hope and faith in its wielder, who happens to be Link.

Also, bear in mind that Ganondorf possesses the Triforce of Power, which would explain why it takes longer to bring him down. The rest of Hyrule's antagonists had some artifact or faculty which made them stronger as well. So while the Master Sword is the downfall to all evil, and the most potent blade, it's shortcoming [theoretically] lies in how powerful the opponent is.

Then there's the case of Ghirahim being able to steal it from Link in the Lightning Round... I don't think that counts, because when Link first fought Ghirahim in those boss battle the Master Sword was still just the Goddess Sword. Evil probably didn't have much of a problem holding it while it was in that state.

If I recall correctly, Ghirahim was also able to hold the True Master Sword in the Fire Sanctuary battle. But in my mind, that's justifiable by the fact that he's a purported antithesis to the Master Sword, because his true form is a sword spirit. Ghirahim isn't much different from Fi in that regard, although we never got to see any special fighting abilities from her. So that makes it very hard to tell...yet the conclusion can still be drawn that he's virtually unaffected by the Master Sword since he's the exact opposite. Sure he took damage, but wasn't utterly defeated; only Demise's intervention near the end terminated him for all we know.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
People seem to be forgetting something, and that something is called Twilight Princess. When Midna asks for a cure for Link's wolf form, Zelda tells Midna of the Master Sword because it is a blade that evil can not touch. Link goes there to get the curse repelled from him body, being able to actually wield the sword was a surprising plus. The sword repels evil. I like to think of it as Inuyasha's sword. Full demons can't even touch that thing. This doesn't mean the Master Sword is necessarily the strongest sword, or even guarantee that it will vanquish all of it's foes or that it can't be overpowered, only that it will repel evil. After all, even though it repelled the curse from Link, the Twilight Palace proved that with enough power, the sword is ineffective. It's just like any force. It repels things, but that doesn't mean it cann't be overpowered.

If I recall correctly, Ghirahim was also able to hold the True Master Sword in the Fire Sanctuary battle.

The whole purpose of being in the Fire Sanctuary was so Link could upgrade his sword to the Master Sword.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium

Yeah I assumed as well that he was able to hold it because it was not yet the True Master Sword.

But, I would have loved a sort of Easter Egg when you fight him in the Lightning Round with the MS. Something like when he takes the sword from you, he drops it like it burns him or causes him pain just to hold it.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I always thought that evil could not successfully wield the sword. Not that it can't be touched by evil but more that in evil hands it's just a normal sword, but in the hands of someone like Link it can banish enemies.

Izagar

Working on a webcomic. :D
It is the Sword of Evil's Bane, not destruction. It only repels evil, or basically forces it back. It doesn't kill them, but it tries to. If it killed all evil instantly, then the Gods themselves would have wielded it, not the hero.

"Shadow and Light are two sides of the same coin. One cannot exist without the other."

The words of Zelda echo here. If there was no more evil, then there would only be good. It would imbalanced.

The Master Sword is there only to establish balance between good and evil.

...The Goddess Sword didn't have the power to repel evil till Zelda blessed it. *Facepalms*

Zurriel

One last Question, since it is able to break curses, like Links wolf form. Why could it not break similar curses like the one Zant placed on Midna, or the gold spider things in ocarina of time and majoras mask? I get that it wouldn't be able to break something like Ganons seal over hyrule castle, but I don't see any reason for the less powerful ones.

Last edited:

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
One last Question, since it is able to break curses, like Links wolf form. Why could it not break similar curses like the one Zant placed on Midna, or the gold spider things in ocarina of time and majoras mask? I get that it wouldn't be able to break something like Ganons seal over hyrule castle, but I don't see any reason for the less powerful ones.

I can only theorize at this point, but I believe it is because Midna herself holds some evil inside of her. She is a twili after all and I've often theorized that twili are mischievous, or atleast somewhat dark, by nature. This is as opposed to hylians whom I believe are good hearted by nature. Certainly the Twili ancestors did evil things, so that is proof that they are capable of much evil. Rarely do you see hylians doing what is considered "evil," Maybe a little mean, but not evil. And alot of times the mean hylians turn out to be good deep down inside. This could be in relation to them being the closest beings to the gods of Hyrule.
If you'll notice, during the scene Link is being cured, Link is able to hold his ground while Midna is repelled completely off of Link. Notice also that until Zelda's pureness was able to cure Midna, pure light itself hurt Midna. She literally couldn't survive in the world of light. Thus I believe it would take something more specific than just an evil repellent to cure something like Midna's curse when she herself is part evil.

As far as the gold spider thing... uh... I'll come up with something later ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom