• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Linux OSs

I never personally ran Linux, but I was always curious of it and Ubuntu. What's it like?

It's a bit hard to describe. In some ways, it's just like any other OSs, in others, it is much different. For one, it's multi-user, meaning that multiple users can be logged in to the system simultaneously. A lot of popular distros today come with Desktop Environments, like Gnome, KDE, Cinnamon, XFCE, etc. These are similar to Windows or OS X in that they have windows, panels, toolbars and menus. They're generally pretty intuitive, with the glaring exception of Gnome 3. Although there's many projects that focus on graphical frontends, the majority of administration, and even just general usage, in Linux will be done in a terminal, though that may just be preference on my part. Upgrading the system, installing packages, etc. is usually most efficient when done from the terminal. But if you prefer, there's GUIs for things like that.

The main thing, I think, is that with Linux, the most important thing is to be patient, and be curious. Things aren't always going to be plug-and-play or readily available. Sometimes you have to do a little bit of work to get things the way you want them, but it is usually very rewarding.

Speaking of this, I really like what Cinnamon's done with Gnome 3. They took everything that was good about it, and took the stuff out that was... not so very good.

Yeah, I tried Cinnamon recently, and found it to be a pretty good improvement over Gnome 3. Still not my favorite or anything, but definitely has potential, as opposed to Gnome 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom