• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link Should Have a Voice!

Nintendo says Link shouldn't have a voice because they want the player to feel as if they're actually Link. I believe this is ridiculous. Link still uses body language to communicate, which, according to scientists, accounts for 93% of human communication.

I'm not sure what Nintendo means by wanting the player to feel as if they're Link. You control him with your controller, is that not good enough? Do you need to imagine he has the same voice as you do? I sure don't do that but I don't know about any of you guys. ... Link still seems to have his own opinions in the game, too, according to his body language. Maybe the player does not share these same opinions.

What great, immersive game does not have a speaking main character? Even RPG's, where the main goal is to players assume the roles of characters, still has these characters speaking!!!

I think what nintendo should do, if they want an immersive experience, is have Link speak, but always give him a neutral opinion, like in GTAIV or Red Dead Redemption. Also give the player choices on what to do, like in many RPG games, and then give the Link an opinion based on the choices the player makes. This seems more logical than not having Link speak at all. What other game does that that? It can even get a bit awkward, sometimes, in cutscenes.

Come on Nintendo, you've already given Link 93% of his human communication abilities, why not give him the full 100%!!

I don't know... what do you guys think? That's just my opinion.

If Link has lines, it becomes to where he's actually a character written into the story, not the person you're controlling and acting through.

Link is not already a character written into the story? If not, why can't Nintendo make Link a character written into the story, but in a way the player can control?

I really find it hard to believe Link is not a character written into the Legend of Zelda series, though

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Link is not already a character written into the story? If not, why can't Nintendo make Link a character written into the story, but in a way the player can control?

I really find it hard to believe Link is not a character written into the Legend of Zelda series, though

He's still a character, but the point is to allow us to feel like it's really us in the game. That's why in RPG's the character you control doesn't have vocal lines. So it's actually you controlling the character.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I'm 100% with you on this, Ryan. 100% with you. I'm glad there's someone else out there whos shares my feelings on this subject. The thing I hate most about Link not talking, is the fact that other characters say what Link would have said if he could talk. Like in Gerudo Valley in OoT. At the bottom of the canyon as Child Link.
Why did you come all the way down here? What? You were just about to ask me the same thing?
:dry:

Also, some people wouldn't have asked that in that situation anyway. So, that's more proof that Link is his own person. So why does Nintendo not give Link dialogue? That, my friend, is one of the great wonders of the world.

He's still a character, but the point is to allow us to feel like it's really us in the game. That's why in RPG's the character you control doesn't have vocal lines. So it's actually you controlling the character.

It can still feel like we're in the game, even if link speaks.

Take The Witcher 2, and RPG, for example, Geralt is the main character and has dialogue, but not in a way that makes the player feel as if they don't have control over what Geralt does and thinks. There are always options for the player.

I understand Wii's hardware limitations might have something to do with it, but I'm expecting good things from prject cafe

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I'm 100% with you on this, Ryan. 100% with you. I'm glad there's someone else out there whos shares my feelings on this subject. The thing I hate most about Link not talking, is the fact that other characters say what Link would have said if he could talk. Like in Gerudo Valley in OoT. At the bottom of the canyon as Child Link. :dry:

Also, some people wouldn't have asked that in that situation anyway. So, that's more proof that Link is his own person. So why does Nintendo not give Link dialogue? That, my friend, is one of the great wonders of the world.

I think I explained that quite well. Plus, it's just part of what makes Zelda so unique. I used to want Link to have lines, but I've come to realize that him not having lines is what allows the feel for the game to be so unique. That it's like we're the character going out there and slashing the crap out of things, rather than just someone on the outside looking in.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I think I explained that quite well. Plus, it's just part of what makes Zelda so unique. I used to want Link to have lines, but I've come to realize that him not having lines is what allows the feel for the game to be so unique. That it's like we're the character going out there and slashing the crap out of things, rather than just someone on the outside looking in.

I understand where you're coming from, but again, just because Link has a voice doesn't mean we still can't feel like we're the character going out there and slashing the crap out of things. Also, I'd prefer Legend of Zelda to be an epic story instead of an epic role-playing game. But that's just me.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
Well, I'm about 10 years older than you, so, our opinions may change heavily from each other.

But I think, give him a voice would ruin the character. Unlike Samus Aran, the project to give Link a voice will fail. And there are too many nostalgic Zelda fans out there who will most likely send death threats to Aonuma and Miyamoto.
In the 25 years of The Legend of Zelda, Nintendo don't gave Link a voice. And I think, for the next 25 years the same will happen. For me, it is not necessarily to give him a voice. Maybe Nintendo will give other characters a voice (like in Metroid Prime: Corruptions), but not Link.

The same goes for the Persona games. The unnamed main protagonist is unvoiced too. He is the link between the player and the game. There is no problem with that.

Like Juicie said, it is a unique aspect. The character will stay mysterious.

Well said, Azure Sage.

Yes, more proof that Link is his own person is that characters interact with him in a way which would be unique to his personality.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Well, I'm about 10 years older than you, so, our opinions may change heavily from each other.

But I think, give him a voice would ruin the character. Unlike Samus Aran, the project to give Link a voice will fail. And there are to many nostalgic Zelda fans out there who will maybe send death threads to Aonuma or Miyamoto.
In 25 years, Nintendo don't gave Link a voice. And I think, for the next 25 years the same will happen. For me, it is not necessarily to give him a voice. Maybe voicing other characters in the game, but not Link.

The same goes for the Persona games. The unnamed main protagonist is unvoiced too. He is the link between the player and the game. There is no problem with that.

True, but I wasn't talking about voice acting. I don't think Zelda needs that. I was just talking about dialogue. As in dialogue boxes. I feel Link should have some dialogue. And I've already explained why.

It seems people are having a hard time imagining Link with a voice... I really do understand this.

But if you think about it, it's really not that hard. Imagine a young, humble, empathetic, unknowing village boy dragged into this epic quest, and how this boy would speak and interact. It gives a good picture of how link would talk. All it needs is a good voice actor.

SuperGleeok64

For the Greater Good.
Even RPG's, where the main goal is to players assume the roles of characters, still has these characters speaking!!!
Actually I don't like RPGs where your character speaks because it makes me feel like I'm not the character, because they are speaking with a different tone than I would use and other subtle things like that :\. (Also Bethesda's RPGs don't have your main character speak :P)

I think what nintendo should do, if they want an immersive experience, is have Link speak, but always give him a neutral opinion, like in GTAIV or Red Dead Redemption. Also give the player choices on what to do, like in many RPG games, and then give the Link an opinion based on the choices the player makes. This seems more logical than not having Link speak at all. What other game does that that? It can even get a bit awkward, sometimes, in cutscenes

Also if they gave you choices of what to say it would stop the game dead trying to find out info. And I'm sure there are some games where the main character doesn't speak and not be awkward.

What great, immersive game does not have a speaking main character?

Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Oblivion, The Lego Games, Ace Combat, Most RTSes, and lastly but not leastly Crackdown.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
True, but I wasn't talking about voice acting. I don't think Zelda needs that. I was just talking about dialogue. As in dialogue boxes. I feel Link should have some dialogue. And I've already explained why.

That would make Zelda an RPG, though. And we don't want Zelda to become an RPG. When dialogue options come in, multiple story outcomes must come in. Just think of what that would do to Zelda...

Well said, Azure Sage.

Yes, more proof that Link is his own person is that characters interact with him in a way which would be unique to his personality.

More proof? What are you talking about? She described how Zelda was unique. She actually hurt your argument with what she said, as I explained how what she said is one of the things that makes Zelda unique. I'm not saying she's stupid or anything, but she didn't help your cause with what she said. So that wasn't really any more "proof."

Actually I don't like RPGs where your character speaks because it makes me feel like I'm not the character, because they are speaking with a different tone than I would use and other subtle things like that :\. (Also Bethesda's RPGs don't have your main character speak :P)

Also if they gave you choices of what to say it would stop the game dead trying to find out info. And I'm sure there are some games where the main character doesn't speak and not be awkward.

Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Oblivion, The Lego Games, Ace Combat, Most RTSes, and lastly but not leastly Crackdown.

It is possible to extract information with choices. There are many games that do this. Or maybe it could be an unlinear (is that the right word? lol) storyline, where the character could go down different routes to ultimately arrive at defeating ganon and saving princess zelda.

As for the what great immersive game does not have a speaking character, I should have thought that out more and I'm wrong, there are many games that have great story lines where the character doesn't speak... but the player has so many CHOICES for how your character interacts. With Link, you go through the storyline, do some side quests if you want, and you're done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom