• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Linear Timeline (rip into it)

it can absolutely exist, because one of the 2 conflicting things happened in a separate timeline.
But how did the first conflicting thing happen if the second didn't in the same universe? Are you saying that the Child part of Ocarina of Time that happens after he goes back in time to do the Bottom of the Well, happens in a separate universe than both the child and adult timelines? Because then we'd need four timelines. One where Adult Canon OOT happens, one where Child Canon OOT happens, one where Link dies in OOT as an adult, and one where OOT never happens ever.

But how did the first conflicting thing happen if the second didn't in the same universe? Are you saying that the Child part of Ocarina of Time that happens after he goes back in time to do the Bottom of the Well, happens in a separate universe than both the child and adult timelines? Because then we'd need four timelines. One where Adult Canon OOT happens, one where Child Canon OOT happens, one where Link dies in OOT as an adult, and one where OOT never happens ever.

Link only changes the timeline at the end, when he talks to Zelda with the Triforce of Courage. Whatever original Link was in this timeline got their conscious erased (like X-Men DofP) and their body probably teleported to the Temple of Time for the future Link's conscious to inhabit. Link has the Kokiri Sword and either a Hylian or Deku Shield, which are all obtainable before meeting Zelda in the Castle Courtyard, as well as having no Goron Bracelet. Now, Link is in a timeline where hasn't gotten any Spiritual Stones, gotten the Ocarina of Time, or met Zelda. We can tell because Zelda is looking into the window the same way she was when we first meet her. If we visit her anytime after the first encounter, she is already looking at us. This ending would be a parallel to our first encounter. Link now has the Triforce of Courage, as when he was sent back, the Triforce of the timeline he entered recognized him as the worthy wielder. With the Triforce of Courage as proof, he tells Ganon's plan to the Royal Family and action is taken. There's not much reason for the King of Hyrule to ignore the words of a Triforce wielder, especially with Impa, Zelda's caretaker, as support (since Impa also supports Zelda's prophetic visions). This means Ganon's plans are thwarted, so the events of this timeline won't lead to the disastrous 7 years future that Link came back from. This timeline will lead somewhere new.

There are no splits from the other instances because no changes are being made; the well was already drained in the Adult portion, so draining it in the Child portion doesn't change anything.

1. Explain how we see people in the future era of OoT celebrating at Lon Lon Ranch after Link is sent back if time rewinds to the past?

2. How is Ganon in FSA the same one as in OoT? How does he even comeback after being eradicated by the Triforce in TWW?

Everyone else has covered what I was going to say, so...

I think this post would've been better in the already made Timeline discussion thread. Also, you can reply to multiple people in the same message by quoting.

Didn't know that, thanks. Sorry for the spam. I made a new thread because the guidelines said that if you had your own timeline theory, don't clog a thread that is related to the canon timeline.

"The past is not gone, and the future isn't non-existent. The past, the future and the present are all existing in exactly the same way."

I think we're saying the same thing. The past, future and present are all happening at the same time, it's just based on perception. This is why the Child Timeline cannot exist in a different universe. It's a false present. There is a true perception of the future, the past, and the present, and it is singular. It is linear. It doesn't diverge, because then there are non-existent pasts, and non-existent presents. (Maybe we should go to the "Deep Thoughts" sub-forum or whatever.)

OoT Link very much changes the past, meaning it must be on a separate timeline. WW's backstory says that the Hero of Time "traveled the stream of time and left the country behind, he did not appear.". The King of Red Lions says something similar in the English localization. "When the Hero of Time was called to embark on another journey and left the land of Hyrule, he was separated from the elements that made him a hero". Link was separated from the Triforce of the Adult portion since the Triforce of Courage was with him in the Child portion when he traveled back in time (in Zelda's courtyard). If it was referring to Link leaving Termina, then the elements that made him a hero wouldn't have separated out of him for going to a new land. Besides the King of Red Lions, other figures from Old Hyrule (Jabun, Deku Tree) only talk about the Hero of Time, as if he was the last expected hero.

OoT Link doesn't change the past. It cannot be on a separate timeline. WW's backstory says that the Hero of Time went back in time, and then didn't reappear during the Ear Without a Hero. The "other journey" is Majora's Mask. How would the King of Red Lions know that Link left Hyrule? OoT Zelda passed down his legend, and she's the one who sent him to the Temple of Time, in Hyrule.

The Triforce of Courage wouldn't exist in the Adult Timeline if Link took it with him to the past when he was sent back (which is shown at the end of OoT). Unless there are two Triforces, or a new one was formed, the one in TWW has to be the one from OoT and the one from OoT was sent back to "the Child Timeline." So there is no Triforce of Courage. So then how are there the Triforce shards?

I'd totally think that Link falling into Termina and dying or whatever would separate him from the Triforce. It's on his hand in OoT, but not in Majora's Mask. It left him. He lost the elements that made him a hero.

If the King of Red Lions, Jabun, and the Deku Tree all knew there wasn't going to be another hero, why did they wait for one to come? In the WW prologue, it says that the people waited for a hero that never came. But Daphnes knew a hero would never come? No. Daphnes thought that Link would come back from Termina. He didn't. He died or got lost or whatever happened to turn him into the Hero's Shade, the divine beast. The gods weren't prepared for that. Normally, they were used to having all three things in place to wage their stupid wars. So they flooded the entire world and killed, like, everybody. And the Triforce of Courage that the Hero of Time was supposed to claim broke. And then WW happened. After MM.

Link only changes the timeline at the end, when he talks to Zelda with the Triforce of Courage. Whatever original Link was in this timeline got their conscious erased (like X-Men DofP) and their body probably teleported to the Temple of Time for the future Link's conscious to inhabit. Link has the Kokiri Sword and either a Hylian or Deku Shield, which are all obtainable before meeting Zelda in the Castle Courtyard, as well as having no Goron Bracelet. Now, Link is in a timeline where hasn't gotten any Spiritual Stones, gotten the Ocarina of Time, or met Zelda. We can tell because Zelda is looking into the window the same way she was when we first meet her. If we visit her anytime after the first encounter, she is already looking at us. This ending would be a parallel to our first encounter. Link now has the Triforce of Courage, as when he was sent back, the Triforce of the timeline he entered recognized him as the worthy wielder. With the Triforce of Courage as proof, he tells Ganon's plan to the Royal Family and action is taken. There's not much reason for the King of Hyrule to ignore the words of a Triforce wielder, especially with Impa, Zelda's caretaker, as support (since Impa also supports Zelda's prophetic visions). This means Ganon's plans are thwarted, so the events of this timeline won't lead to the disastrous 7 years future that Link came back from. This timeline will lead somewhere new.

There are no splits from the other instances because no changes are being made; the well was already drained in the Adult portion, so draining it in the Child portion doesn't change anything.
Who did that? Zelda? Is that something the Ocarina can do? Who took sleeping Kokiri Forest Link, teleported his body, erased his consciousness, and gave him the Triforce? Past Link is on his way to Dodongo Cavern. It's why he doesn't have the bracelet. It's why Impa isn't standing in front of the entrance to the courtyard. Zelda is probably turning back and forth to keep peeking at the ceremony while also watching Link. It is happening just after Past Link's first encounter. Also, in the ending of OoT, Zelda turns around quicker than she did when the Past Link met her, meaning she was expecting someone to come behind her, meaning Past Link had already been there.

I'm not saying that the King doesn't believe Link, even though I'm still skeptical that he would after not believing prophetic visions from his daughter, a descendant of the goddess, and letting the man who caused the Hyrulean Civil War to be an envoy of peace. Like, he's already seen to be completely stupid. But I'm saying it's too late. Ganondorf still kills the king, the same way he did the first time. Ganon chases Zelda and Impa. Ganon's plans aren't thwarted.

I agree. There are no splits, no changes are being made.

1. Explain how we see people in the future era of OoT celebrating at Lon Lon Ranch after Link is sent back if time rewinds to the past?

2. How is Ganon in FSA the same one as in OoT? How does he even comeback after being eradicated by the Triforce in TWW?

Everyone else has covered what I was going to say, so...

1. After Link is sent back, the sages are still awoken and the people of Hyrule are still freed from Ganon. Time doesn't rewind to the past; Hyrule has been restored and Past Link is stuck in Termina while this happens.

2. The wish at the end of TWW was to erase Hyrule, and to wash away Ganon. It happened. He was at the bottom of the sea for like 1000 years. But Link plunges the Master Sword into his skull and turns him to stone, the only time we see the Master Sword do that. He is not killed, he is turned to stone. And also he's at the bottom of the sea. After Hyrule is unflooded, the Master Sword and Ganondorf are still hidden under the waves. But as it gets more and more unflooded during the Minish Cap and Four Swords, eventually he surfaces. And the Master Sword, after having been unpowered by the Sages of Earth and Wind for ages, is essentially useless as Ganondorf says in TWW. So, I think the Mages from FSA, or Veran going back in time and quickly plucking him during the Psat Section of OOA, or some Zuna person, or some depressed thief kid, or really anybody, just pulls the sword out of Ganondorf's skull, realizes it's completely and utterly useless and leaves it in the woods, but also Ganondorf murders them cuz he hasn't done that in a while and it makes him happy. Then, Ganon, still in his Gerudo form, goes to the Gerudo village and is like, "I'm the best, I'm gonna go steal the Trident and turn into the Demon King." And he goes and does that, and then is sealed in the Four Sword. And that's FSA.

Hope that makes sense?

Didn't know that, thanks. Sorry for the spam. I made a new thread because the guidelines said that if you had your own timeline theory, don't clog a thread that is related to the canon timeline.

Don't worry about it! It's good.

OoT Link doesn't change the past. It cannot be on a separate timeline. WW's backstory says that the Hero of Time went back in time, and then didn't reappear during the Ear Without a Hero. The "other journey" is Majora's Mask. How would the King of Red Lions know that Link left Hyrule? OoT Zelda passed down his legend, and she's the one who sent him to the Temple of Time, in Hyrule.

If the King of Red Lions, Jabun, and the Deku Tree all knew there wasn't going to be another hero, why did they wait for one to come? In the WW prologue, it says that the people waited for a hero that never came. But Daphnes knew a hero would never come? No. Daphnes thought that Link would come back from Termina. He didn't. He died or got lost or whatever happened to turn him into the Hero's Shade, the divine beast. The gods weren't prepared for that. Normally, they were used to having all three things in place to wage their stupid wars. So they flooded the entire world and killed, like, everybody. And the Triforce of Courage that the Hero of Time was supposed to claim broke. And then WW happened. After MM.

At the end of OoT, the people of Hyrule thought that Link traveled to the future to save them, when he was really in a coma. A big part about WW was the people of Hyrule expecting the Hero of Time to travel through time again to save them, not that he would already be in Hyrule (and this doesn't happen, since he's not in this timeline). Also, WW's backstory happens ages/generations after OoT, so Link wouldn't have been in Termina that long to have feasibly come back anyways.

The Triforce of Courage wouldn't exist in the Adult Timeline if Link took it with him to the past when he was sent back (which is shown at the end of OoT). Unless there are two Triforces, or a new one was formed, the one in TWW has to be the one from OoT and the one from OoT was sent back to "the Child Timeline." So there is no Triforce of Courage. So then how are there the Triforce shards?

I'd totally think that Link falling into Termina and dying or whatever would separate him from the Triforce. It's on his hand in OoT, but not in Majora's Mask. It left him. He lost the elements that made him a hero.

I saw it as the Triforce of the Adult Timeline shattering when Link went back in time, while the one at the end of OoT is the one of the new timeline he enters. There's one Triforce of Courage in the Adult timeline (now shattered), and one Triforce of Courage in the Child Timeline (a new timeline). If there were two Links in Hyrule, and one Link was showing Zelda his Triforce of Courage while the full Triforce was still in the Sacred Realm (to be split when Ganon touched it), then this implies there are two Triforces in Hyrule during this time, which I don't see as the case. This is before Link goes to Termina if that's where he loses his Triforce, which I also don't see being the case. To be honest, I saw the triangle on Fierce Deity's chest plate as an indication of a Triforce piece, but there's no real evidence one way or another. Link's Triforce wasn't glowing at the end of OoT on the Pedestal of Time (when Navi left through the window); he only showed it to Zelda in the courtyard. I would say he kept it on him until his death.

Who did that? Zelda? Is that something the Ocarina can do? Who took sleeping Kokiri Forest Link, teleported his body, erased his consciousness, and gave him the Triforce? Past Link is on his way to Dodongo Cavern. It's why he doesn't have the bracelet. It's why Impa isn't standing in front of the entrance to the courtyard. Zelda is probably turning back and forth to keep peeking at the ceremony while also watching Link. It is happening just after Past Link's first encounter. Also, in the ending of OoT, Zelda turns around quicker than she did when the Past Link met her, meaning she was expecting someone to come behind her, meaning Past Link had already been there.

I'm not saying that the King doesn't believe Link, even though I'm still skeptical that he would after not believing prophetic visions from his daughter, a descendant of the goddess, and letting the man who caused the Hyrulean Civil War to be an envoy of peace. Like, he's already seen to be completely stupid. But I'm saying it's too late. Ganondorf still kills the king, the same way he did the first time. Ganon chases Zelda and Impa. Ganon's plans aren't thwarted.

The whole consciousness transfer is more like a way to keep one Link in the timeline. If one Link is from the future, it wouldn't matter whether or not Past Link has the Goron's Bracelet or not, Future Link would have had everything he got on his journey with him. This actually brings up a question: if one Link gets the Goron's Bracelet, and then travels to the future, and then travels back to the same past he was from (but there's another Link running around), how does the other Link get his own Goron's Bracelet? Or, anything from dungeons? If Link gets Zelda's OoT in a flashback in MM, when does this happen? If some other Link took the OoT and opened the Door of Time and is now in a time coma, where does MM Link get his OoT?

We can visit Zelda up until we get the third Spiritual Stone, so if Link comes back before having gotten the second one, and shows Zelda (and probably Impa and the King) the Triforce of Power, and exposes Ganondorf, this would match to what was said about Ganondorf in TP, where he was exposed for trying to get into the Sacred Realm.

Also, for TP being right after OoT, the first time we meet the Golden Wolf is before we go to a Howling Stone, showing that the Hero's Shade sought him out. He could have done this for other heroes after his death and before TP Link. If there were other heroes in between OoT and TP, why didn't the Hero's Shade teach his techniques to another hero? Those were his only regrets. The Hero's Shade would have been the last 'Hero' before TP Link.

At the end of OoT, the people of Hyrule thought that Link traveled to the future to save them, when he was really in a coma. A big part about WW was the people of Hyrule expecting the Hero of Time to travel through time again to save them, not that he would already be in Hyrule (and this doesn't happen, since he's not in this timeline). Also, WW's backstory happens ages/generations after OoT, so Link wouldn't have been in Termina that long to have feasibly come back anyways.
I think then my question is, if CT OoT Link decided to go into the future after having "saved Hyrule," could he have gone to the Wind Waker timeline? No, he would have gone to Twilight Princess. Right? I just disagree with that. The people in the Wind Waker are waiting for the Hero of Time to reincarnate, travel back through time, come up from Termina, whatever it is. But he can't do that. He's in a time loop in Termina that I think lasts generations. Time works funky in Termina. Or he got lost in the woods and died and turned into the Hero's Shade. Whatever the case, MM is the reason he isn't in WW, not because he's in a different timeline.

I saw it as the Triforce of the Adult Timeline shattering when Link went back in time, while the one at the end of OoT is the one of the new timeline he enters. There's one Triforce of Courage in the Adult timeline (now shattered), and one Triforce of Courage in the Child Timeline (a new timeline). If there were two Links in Hyrule, and one Link was showing Zelda his Triforce of Courage while the full Triforce was still in the Sacred Realm (to be split when Ganon touched it), then this implies there are two Triforces in Hyrule during this time, which I don't see as the case. This is before Link goes to Termina if that's where he loses his Triforce, which I also don't see being the case. To be honest, I saw the triangle on Fierce Deity's chest plate as an indication of a Triforce piece, but there's no real evidence one way or another. Link's Triforce wasn't glowing at the end of OoT on the Pedestal of Time (when Navi left through the window); he only showed it to Zelda in the courtyard. I would say he kept it on him until his death.
I see it as the Triforce of Courage on Future Child Link shattering because of the events of Majora's Mask. Whatever happened there, the Hero of Time disconnects from the Hyrule and the Triforce with it. There are two Triforces because there are two Links. But one is in the Sacred Realm with Link and one is broken apart after Link enters Termina. But the one in the Sacred Realm with Link becomes the one in Termina with Link because it's the same Link with the same Triforce so it's really only one Triforce and really only one Link.

The whole consciousness transfer is more like a way to keep one Link in the timeline. If one Link is from the future, it wouldn't matter whether or not Past Link has the Goron's Bracelet or not, Future Link would have had everything he got on his journey with him. This actually brings up a question: if one Link gets the Goron's Bracelet, and then travels to the future, and then travels back to the same past he was from (but there's another Link running around), how does the other Link get his own Goron's Bracelet? Or, anything from dungeons? If Link gets Zelda's OoT in a flashback in MM, when does this happen? If some other Link took the OoT and opened the Door of Time and is now in a time coma, where does MM Link get his OoT?
The way items work in the game is already weird. I'm gonna use the Kokiri Sword first. Where does your Kokiri Sword go when you're in the future? I'd say the Sacred Realm. I think after the seven-year slumber, and when time travel becomes instantaneous, items are given to Rauru or something so that you can't use the Kokiri Sword in the future. Then, when Adult Link is sent to the past, he picks up the Kokiri Sword from the Sacred Realm and is placed at the Temple of Time. Same with the Goron Bracelet, except this gets left in the Sacred Realm.

The Ocarina is the far-fetchediest part of my timeline I think. The rest I think is somewhat reasonable. Hear me out. Zelda, after sending Link back in time with the Ocarina, also sends the Ocarina back in time to Past Zelda, but to when Link needs to leave for Termina, not to when Link appears in the Temple of Time (with the Door of Time open somehow, what?) Zelda is in on the future and the past because Future Zelda told Past Zelda what was going to happen. This was her prophetic dream. The whole game, Sheik/Zelda is talking about destiny and fate and "this is what has to happen," but then she's also like, "I screwed up, I couldn't have predicted this, oh me oh my I am so stupid." SHE'S NOT STUPID! She knew what was up. She knew that it had to happen exactly as it happened because she's Goddess ****ing Hylia and she's incredible. So Future Zelda knew she got sent the Ocarina by herself, so she sends it to herself because she knew the first time...it's very loopy and paradoxical but it works better than "There are three universes and they all splursh cuz the Gods."

We can visit Zelda up until we get the third Spiritual Stone, so if Link comes back before having gotten the second one, and shows Zelda (and probably Impa and the King) the Triforce of Power, and exposes Ganondorf, this would match to what was said about Ganondorf in TP, where he was exposed for trying to get into the Sacred Realm.

Whenever you last visit Zelda is when Future Child Link lands in the Temple of Time because that's what already happened in the past. He has no free will when he returns; everything has already happened. There are no "ifs," there is just what was. If Link comes back before having gotten the second stone, there is no Triforce from the future yet because there wasn't when it happened the first time. If Link comes back before Zora's Domain and Jabu-Jabu, there is no Triforce proof because there wasn't when it happened the first time. It's destiny. Link is locked and him going back in time can't change anything because he was already back in time when everything happened the first time. That would match what happened in TP if it was possible for it to happen, but because it wasn't what happened, it isn't what happened. I hope that makes some sense?

Also, for TP being right after OoT, the first time we meet the Golden Wolf is before we go to a Howling Stone, showing that the Hero's Shade sought him out. He could have done this for other heroes after his death and before TP Link. If there were other heroes in between OoT and TP, why didn't the Hero's Shade teach his techniques to another hero? Those were his only regrets. The Hero's Shade would have been the last 'Hero' before TP Link.
The Hero's Shade is so regretful because it's been so long. The Hero of Winds and Spirits were above the ocean and he was stuck in flooded Hyrule. Then the Four Sword people couldn't use his training cuz they had a dumb sword, the ALBW dude got Gramps (ALTTP Link) and so his first opportunity to train anybody was the Hero of Twilight. It makes an already tragic story even more tragic. He's been waiting for this moment for, like, 3000 years, not just 100 years. Every hero's only wish is to pass down their skills, and he didn't get to cuz Termina and losing the Triforce and stuff.

1. After Link is sent back, the sages are still awoken and the people of Hyrule are still freed from Ganon. Time doesn't rewind to the past; Hyrule has been restored and Past Link is stuck in Termina while this happens.

But we see Malon as an adult moments after Link is set back. If MM happens during the seven years that Hyrule is under Ganondorf's rule, then the celebration at the end wouldn't make sense. A split timeline is a cleaner way to explain it.

The wish at the end of TWW was to erase Hyrule, and to wash away Ganon. It happened. He was at the bottom of the sea for like 1000 years. But Link plunges the Master Sword into his skull and turns him to stone, the only time we see the Master Sword do that. He is not killed, he is turned to stone

It was confirmed that Ganondorf died at the end of TWW, and having him turn to stone was a way to give him an E rated death, more or less.

So, I think the Mages from FSA, or Veran going back in time and quickly plucking him during the Psat Section of OOA, or some Zuna person, or some depressed thief kid, or really anybody, just pulls the sword out of Ganondorf's skull, realizes it's completely and utterly useless and leaves it in the woods, but also Ganondorf murders them cuz he hasn't done that in a while and it makes him happy. Then, Ganon, still in his Gerudo form, goes to the Gerudo village and is like, "I'm the best, I'm gonna go steal the Trident and turn into the Demon King." And he goes and does that, and then is sealed in the Four Sword. And that's FSA.

This is all fanfic, and it contradicts FSA, where the Gerudo talk about Ganon as if they watched him grow up, which goes against him being OoT Ganon.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Linear timelines are dead, and yet I'm still a linearist. Splitists are wrong because that's not how time works.

SS-->OOT-->MM-->TWW-->PH-->ST-->TMC-->FS-->FSA-->ALTTP-->OOA-->OOS-->LA-->ALBW-->TFH-->TP-->Z1-->Z2-->BOTW

Any questions? Also, this timeline has only one Ganon/Ganondorf across all the games.
With this logic, you would have issues with any fictional universe...
That's like saying Star Wars can't have hyperspace because that's not how space works. Regardless of what the facts are about time, a fictional world is made from imagination, and a fantasy world usually pushes past the boundaries of reality. The writers of the story have free reign to decide how they want to tell it. Of course, you can believe what you want; but this is the generally accepted series of events, and disproving it simply by saying a storytelling mechanic is flawed isn't much.

But we see Malon as an adult moments after Link is set back. If MM happens during the seven years that Hyrule is under Ganondorf's rule, then the celebration at the end wouldn't make sense. A split timeline is a cleaner way to explain it.
Why wouldn't the celebration make sense. The Hero of Time just defeated Ganondorf 7 years after he took over the kingdom, and so everyone celebrates in the future. Meanwhile, the same Link, after being sent back in time to the beginning of OoT, no celebration is happening because the events of the game haven't happened, is either stuck in a time loop in Termina or dead. While everybody is celebrating, Link, in a different world, is suffering.

It was confirmed that Ganondorf died at the end of TWW, and having him turn to stone was a way to give him an E rated death, more or less.
I haven't found this; that he is confirmed dead at the end of WW. In the game, it doesn't say that he's dead. It says that he will drown with Hyrule, which he does, but also he's very obviously sealed by the sword in stone.

This is all fanfic, and it contradicts FSA, where the Gerudo talk about Ganon as if they watched him grow up, which goes against him being OoT Ganon.
Who unseals Ganondorf is fanfic, but it isn't unreasonable to say that he was unsealed considering he is resurrected like 25 times already. My timeline only adds 2 resurrection events, before and after Four Swords Adventures. If you'd prefer, this could be the point in my timeline where Demise is reincarnated (as it is in the canon timeline.)

As to the second point, if we're sticking with it being the same Ganondorf, all mentions of "Ganondorf" in FSA:
"Once every 100 years, a special child is born unto my people. That child is destined to be the mighty guardian of the Gerudo and the desert. But this child, its heart grew twisted with every passing year. The child became a man who hungered for power at any price."
"Curse that Ganondorf! He broke our laws and left for the pyramid..."
"This Ganondorf you speak of is a member of the Gerudo. But his intent is unknown to me. He has flouted the law and fled for the pyramid."
"It was Ganondorf... But, no... That man was of the Gerudo tribe. I can't imagine these creatures worshipping some desert nomad."

The first quote is the most supportive of your point as it describes Ganondorf's birth. But this could also be describing the birth of the first Ganondorf. You think they'd rename the next Gerudo male to be born the same as the literal King of Evil? No. This is a retelling of Ganondorf's origin story from OoT. They also wouldn't still think that the one male Gerudo was their "special child." They'd exile it.
The other quotes just state facts. Ganondorf broke Gerudo laws. Ganondorf from WW was a member of the Gerudo and, when he was unsealed, went to the Gerudo Desert (Desert of Doubt) to find the Trident. And Ganondorf already has a reputation with the monsters for being ruthless from his days during the Great Sea and OoT. He isn't just some desert nomad, he's the King of Evil.

With this logic, you would have issues with any fictional universe...
That's like saying Star Wars can't have hyperspace because that's not how space works. Regardless of what the facts are about time, a fictional world is made from imagination, and a fantasy world usually pushes past the boundaries of reality. The writers of the story have free reign to decide how they want to tell it. Of course, you can believe what you want; but this is the generally accepted series of events, and disproving it simply by saying a storytelling mechanic is flawed isn't much.

I thought I should address this separately. To me, the timeline is stupid and the Living Legend Theory is the accurate one. Story is last, Nintendo doesn't care, yada yada, I agree with you, you are correct. But if we're going to play in the space where things in fictional universes matter, let's commit. I am trying to improve the way time travel works in the Zelda universe. I personally believe that the split timeline theory is a cop-out and thematically inconsistent with what Zelda is about. I get it is "generally accepted," but it shouldn't be. I can get behind the Sacred Realm and the Triforce; it makes sense in the Zelda reality. I can get behind hyperspace; it makes sense in the Star Wars reality. But the way Ocarina of Time splits into three branches does not make sense with the created Zelda reality. Every game has infinite downfall timelines. So what are we doing just highlighting the one? As we have it, there are three Zelda timelines, not one. So when we say "the timeline," we should say the timelines. And, at that point, you might as well make infinite. Then there is the question: why don't you just accept that Link getting sent back creates a new universe? Because then Ocarina of Time is not a predecessor to Twilight Princess. An unseen Civil War is. Canon Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess don't happen in the same universe. I think that's flawed. A linear timeline makes it one story, one Legend, in a way the split timeline doesn't.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
I thought I should address this separately. To me, the timeline is stupid and the Living Legend Theory is the accurate one. Story is last, Nintendo doesn't care, yada yada, I agree with you, you are correct. But if we're going to play in the space where things in fictional universes matter, let's commit. I am trying to improve the way time travel works in the Zelda universe. I personally believe that the split timeline theory is a cop-out and thematically inconsistent with what Zelda is about. I get it is "generally accepted," but it shouldn't be. I can get behind the Sacred Realm and the Triforce; it makes sense in the Zelda reality. I can get behind hyperspace; it makes sense in the Star Wars reality. But the way Ocarina of Time splits into three branches does not make sense with the created Zelda reality. Every game has infinite downfall timelines. So what are we doing just highlighting the one? As we have it, there are three Zelda timelines, not one. So when we say "the timeline," we should say the timelines. And, at that point, you might as well make infinite. Then there is the question: why don't you just accept that Link getting sent back creates a new universe? Because then Ocarina of Time is not a predecessor to Twilight Princess. An unseen Civil War is. Canon Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess don't happen in the same universe. I think that's flawed. A linear timeline makes it one story, one Legend, in a way the split timeline doesn't.
So the root of the argument here seems to be whether or not the three branches make sense within the timeline and the Zelda Universe as a whole. Now, I want to address one thing before we start; it's a common misconception I see online when discussing the Zelda timeline.
1610588557203.png
This is the timeline split as shown on page 19 of the Zelda Encyclopedia, generally considered the canon version. Do you notice how the line splits twice to make three different timelines, rather than just one split into three timelines? The Defeat timeline is very separated from the two others. I've always seen this first split as more of an either/or, or what-if scenario. The timeline doesn't really split here, there are just two different outcomes. I have always believed the reason we explore this scenario of Link's defeat and ignore all the other ones is because in this scenario, Ganondorf was ultimately "defeated" (sealed) regardless of whether Link won or lost, meaning Hyrule persisted anyways, just in a different way. All of the other potential times Link was defeated resulted in the destruction or takeover of Hyrule and the end of its history. I have always seen the downfall timeline as a little uncertain compared to the other two, however, which a find make much more sense as a timeline.

We are now viewing Hyrule's history if Link beats Ganondorf. We have moved past the first split and are now onto the second. At the end of Ocarina of Time, Zelda sends Link back to his original timeline with the Triforce of Courage and Link presumably uses that and evidence of what happened in the Adult Timeline to convince the King of Ganondorf's treachery. He likely snuck into the courtyard like he did in the Adult Timeline. (this is a bit of theorization to answer some questions you posed earlier, but in any case Link has the Triforce of Courage Ganondorf is ousted because of Link's memories.)
We now have two separate timelines. One where Link pulled the Master Sword and was sealed for seven years, and one where for all intensive purposes he didn't. Rather than being an either/or scenario like the Downfall timeline, both of these timelines exist simultaneously. Link isn't changing the future by going back, as that's impossible. He's creating a new future by revealing Ganondorf. These timelines are not mutually exclusive. One has the hero still in it, and in the other, he's mysteriously disappeared (been sent back) which leads up to WW's backstory. Essentially, this is the timeline split from Back to the Future 2.
1610590147469.png
Scientifically accurate? I'm not sure, but it makes enough sense to work as a storytelling device.
Here are some other plot holes or inconsistencies I can try to explain:
  • Why is the Triforce of Courage in the Adult Timeline if Link brings it back with him?
    • Honestly? No idea. It is an omnipotent artifact, though. It is probably the only thing that can destroy itself (which is how I believe it was destroyed in ALBW; through a Triforce wish)
  • Why is the door open in the Temple of Time when Link travels back?
    • Either it was opened by Link or Zelda before or upon being transported back or Link was transported back to right before he drew the Master Sword. As for why he isn't wearing the Goron Bracelet? Perhaps as he couldn't wear it as an adult, he couldn't be transported back with it. Or maybe he took it off. This is most likely a continuity oversight by the developers if anything.
  • What about all the other occurrences when Link went back in time?
    • Perhaps using the Master Sword to travel back works as more of a rewind/replay than a transport like the Ocarina of Time. Perhaps each timeline he left behind by going back is doomed. While I feel it is unlikely, there is a theory that this is the cause of the Downfall timeline. Ultimately, I'm not sure.

Last edited:
The timeline doesn't really split here, there are just two different outcomes

This makes sense conceptually. So does the other split. I just think it's stupid and bad and dumb and wrong. What happens after Hyrule is destroyed in all of the other timelines? Something. Something is after all those other timelines. So to single out this one is to ignore all of the other "somethings." TFH could be if you lose Four Swords, cuz why not. TMC is if you die in Oracle of Ages. It's just so arbitrary to have this specific downfall timeline, and if we are making a timeline, let's actually do it. Let's make a timeline that is a timeline, not two what-if scenarios based on one game.

We are now viewing Hyrule's history if Link beats Ganondorf. We have moved past the first split and are now onto the second. At the end of Ocarina of Time, Zelda sends Link back to his original timeline with the Triforce of Courage and Link presumably uses that and evidence of what happened in the Adult Timeline to convince the King of Ganondorf's treachery. He likely snuck into the courtyard like he did in the Adult Timeline. (this is a bit of theorization to answer some questions you posed earlier, but in any case Link has the Triforce of Courage Ganondorf is ousted because of Link's memories.)

Again, this makes sense conceptually. It's the "Back to the Future" model, as you say. It's where your actions after traveling to the past change the future. I just think, for Zelda, that doesn't make sense. Because, again, then we have a timeline split, when there are literally only 19 entries in the series. It's not like Marvel, with thousands of different comics that need to be spread out over tons of timelines. It's literally 19 games. I understand why it makes sense that Link coming back with the Triforce of Courage creates an alternate universe that is existing at the same time. The Adult Timeline is Hyrule-616, and the Child Timeline is Hyrule-617. Different but co-existing universes. But what does this do to the lore? It makes it weird and funky and everyone complains about it all the time. Wouldn't it be simpler, nay, better if it was just one timeline? So it's one universe? And all Zeldas are descendants of one another? And all Ganon's are the same? And all Links share the same spirit? It's just more satisfying.

• Why is the Triforce of Courage in the Adult Timeline if Link brings it back with him?
    • Honestly? No idea. It is an omnipotent artifact, though. It is probably the only thing that can destroy itself (which is how I believe it was destroyed in ALBW; through a Triforce wish)
  • Why is the door open in the Temple of Time when Link travels back?
    • Either it was opened by Link or Zelda before or upon being transported back or Link was transported back to right before he drew the Master Sword. As for why he isn't wearing the Goron Bracelet? Perhaps as he couldn't wear it as an adult, he couldn't be transported back with it. Or maybe he took it off. This is most likely a continuity oversight by the developers if anything.
  • What about all the other occurrences when Link went back in time?
    • Perhaps using the Master Sword to travel back works as more of a rewind/replay than a transport like the Ocarina of Time. Perhaps each timeline he left behind by going back is doomed. While I feel it is unlikely, there is a theory that this is the cause of the Downfall timeline. Ultimately, I'm not sure.

Point 1: The linear timeline solves this. It's in the adult timeline because it is the same as the child. If I were a splitist, I'd theorize that, when Link went back in time, the Triforce split and Ganon got his power which is why it was awoken in TP (which comes much later in the linear timeline)

Point 2: I also think it was opened by Future Zelda.

Point 3: This is an interesting explanation. But if it were a replay/rewind, then WW wouldn't happen because the events leading up to it would be rewound. The linear timeline says that, if you go back in time, Link is going back to a past that already occurred, living as a separate entity than the Link that went through the past to lead him to the future in which he went to the past, and co-existing. There are a couple of cases (such as the Tree of Life in Skyward Sword) where, by traveling to the past, a link to the future is created, and whatever was done in that past can affect the future. But this happens because at the point you've traveled back to the future (heh), you've already planted the seed in the future you are going to which is the same as the previous one, it's just now your perception include the Tree of Life that you planted in the past. But this is already an issue with the regular timeline.

Lol.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
This makes sense conceptually. So does the other split. I just think it's stupid and bad and dumb and wrong. What happens after Hyrule is destroyed in all of the other timelines? Something. Something is after all those other timelines. So to single out this one is to ignore all of the other "somethings." TFH could be if you lose Four Swords, cuz why not. TMC is if you die in Oracle of Ages. It's just so arbitrary to have this specific downfall timeline, and if we are making a timeline, let's actually do it. Let's make a timeline that is a timeline, not two what-if scenarios based on one game.
I think it's more like wheel of time in this sense

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom