• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Liking underrated Champions

So I mentioned in the Revali thread that I think Mipha is overrated. Does anyone else here feel that way? Or do you think the other Champions are overrated (yeah, right, lol)? How do you cope with lack of fanart and fanfiction on your favorite characters and pairings, especially when a character you like is unpopular? I don't really care if the things I like are unpopular, but it does annoy me sometimes when consistently seeing Mipha hailed above the other three Champions simply because she's the waifu trope. Guess I'm being a bit hypocritical since Revali being the asshole trope is why I like him.
My favorites are:
Revali, Urbosa, Daruk, and Mipha. The first three need more love.

I think most of the characters in Breath of the Wild are overrated among the rest of the series, but being the most recent title, I suppose it's mildly justified that they'd have the most hype. But none of them are very well characterized and most potential they had was wasted due to the game's choice in storytelling focusing mostly on Zelda's development--which ironically made her over-examined as a character, and that made her somewhat insufferable, as if they tried "too hard" to make her interesting. --And at the expense of the rest of the cast, to boot.

Revali is also my favorite of the four Champions, but I also like Urbosa for the potential she had, being a leader of the Gerudo and all. Urbosa was the first Gerudo character since Ganondorf himself who got enough screentime to have a chance to see their demeanor. It's such a small window into a tribe that we hardly ever see; it's just unfortunate that the rest of the Gerudo ended up prioritizing finding dating in Breath of the Wild. Revali was just an ass who opposed the whole hero chosen by the blade thing, and while I resent the anime coating they put on him, his premise behind his behavior was actually kind of refreshing, especially when I played Age of Calamity--since his attitude helped neutralize how much I hated the story. Daruk and Mipha aren't bad characters, but they're just uninteresting to me, because they're too... plain? For lack of a better word. They're likeable, sure, but there's nothing there that really like, draws me to them outside of them being main characters for their role as champions.

Again, I don't think Breath of the Wild really suffers from an art shortage, due to how popular the game itself is. But I'm used to liking unpopular characters and media with virtually nonexistent fandoms and I've begun finding solace in the fact after all these years. Sometimes the less popular something is, the higher quality the few things out there will be, because the content creators will put that much effort into making them something special. I don't really pursue fan content a whole lot--I usually just accidentally stumble across something--but if I'm really compelled, I'll probably make something myself. That said, I've never done fanart of any Breath of the Wild character; I think Calamity Ganon is the only entity from the game that I've seriously painted.

Last edited:
I think most of the characters in Breath of the Wild are overrated among the rest of the series, but being the most recent title, I suppose it's mildly justified that they'd have the most hype. But none of them are very well characterized and most potential they had was wasted due to the game's choice in storytelling focusing mostly on Zelda's development

Again, I don't think Breath of the Wild really suffers from an art shortage, due to how popular the game itself is. But I'm used to liking unpopular characters and media with virtually nonexistent fandoms and I've begun finding solace in the fact after all these years. Sometimes the less popular something is, the higher quality the few things out there will be, because the content creators will put that much effort into making them something special.

Huh, maybe it's because I come from bigger fandoms like Naruto and Harry Potter with ****tons of good fanart that the shortage in the Zelda fandom strikes me much harder. Most of the best fanart is on games like Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess, Skull Kid, Midna, etc, all of which and whom I like, but really contrast against most of the weird AU turning Revali-and-Mipha-and-Daruk-into-humans crap (vomit-worthy proof they don't really care about the real characters) or female characters like Riju or Zelda gossiping on their AU cellphones (very progressive of tumblr). There are some good Botw/Aoc fan tributes but maybe the games themselves are still too new to get the high-quality nostalgic treatment of the older games.
I really think it's because the Champions were the first Zelda characters with full-on voice acting and animation--and that they were in the best-selling Zelda game to date--that they're praised a lot right now. But believe me, most of the fic and pictures for them right now is crap. Not all of it; just most of it.
Yep, I agree that lesser hyped subjects usually get better treatment because of how rare tributes to them are.

I don't know what Zelda games everyone else is playing, but I'm not here for the characters. The protagonist of the series does not talk. Whereas Naruto and Harry Potter have the characters carrying the franchise, Zelda remains popular because of gameplay and ingenuity. Expecting fanart or fics for characters to the level of bigger fandoms isn't gonna happen; however, you will find the coolest fully-fledged dungeon concepts.

For the actual thread...
Mipha is actually severely underrated in that now everyone hates her because everyone liked her when the game came out.
Daruk is also underrated, but only cuz his relationship to Link is so good. Link only has a personality when he's with Daruk. In most games, Link doesn't have actual bros to hang out with, but in BotW, he has Daruk to chill with.
Urbosa is underrated because the entire Gerudo section of the game is underrated.
And Revali is not underrated, he gets all the hype he deserves.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I don't know what Zelda games everyone else is playing, but I'm not here for the characters. The protagonist of the series does not talk. Whereas Naruto and Harry Potter have the characters carrying the franchise, Zelda remains popular because of gameplay and ingenuity. Expecting fanart or fics for characters to the level of bigger fandoms isn't gonna happen; however, you will find the coolest fully-fledged dungeon concepts
This so much, gameplay first, and I personally love using my imagination to fill in the gaps of what could be there.
Daruk is also underrated, but only cuz his relationship to Link is so good. Link only has a personality when he's with Daruk. In most games, Link doesn't have actual bros to hang out with,
Also this, he's like the better Darunia because Link's only real interactions with Darunia are playing him Saria's Song and almost getting hugged by him .
And Revali is not underrated, he gets all the hype he deserves.
Is this in favor of or against Revali? I'm afraid it's the latter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom