• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Levias Related to Lord Jabu-Jabu?

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I flagged this up as a spoiler as the Levias part obviously happens towards the end of SS and didn't want to spoil that for anyone although this isn't a discussion about the events of the game but more curiosity about a theory I have.

Anyway, I wondered if Levias has some relation to Lord Jabu-Jabu in OoT.
Obviously the two are different because Levias is some sort of flying creature and Lord Jaby-Jabu is a fish. However, they are kind of similar in general physical appearance, aside from the ability to fly or not (or being able to speak which isn't as relevant) plus they're both deities. I'm assuming Levias' life was finite as he seems quite old in SS. But if Jabu-Jabu was a descendent of Levias wouldn't it make more sense why the Zora's worship him as their patron deity?

Further possible evidence is that OoT happened a question mark number of years after SS, during which time the legend of those events mainly seemed to have been lost aside from the Master Sword and Temple of Time/Sealed Temple (a seperate discussion anyway). Obviously in this time some species must've evolved and changed, which has been mentioned in many different threads in terms of many different species. In the gap between SS and OoT, people started living on The Surface again, so who's to say that Levias' descendents lost their ability to fly and instead began living in the sea?

Just curious to see what other people think. :P

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Levias is flat-out stated to be a (most likely minor) deity of the sky, whereas Lord Jabu-Jabu appears to be some sort of demi-god of the Zoras (hence water). Why would they be related if they were so much different? The two frog gods in WW were related, but they both had wind powers. These two are nothing alike. It's not impossible for them to be related, I suppose, but there's literally nothing to support it. Occam's Razor says no.

I'll have to agree with JuicieJ here although my opinion slightly differs from his. There is no concrete proof linking Levias to any other game much as Groose, Ghirahim, and Fi are only mentioned in Skyward thus far. Stealing from JJ here, Levias is a relatively minor force in Skyward Sword while Jabu-Jabu is an almost religious relic to the Zora in Ocarina of Time heavily modeling eastern culture in the sense that it personified certain aspects of the universe. Jabu-Jabu might as well be the medium housing a divine spirit praised by the Zora which most likely has not and will not be explained in future zelda games (because Nintendo likes to leave a lot to the player's imagination).

Last edited:

Djinn

and Tonic
I think that there had been enough examples of various talking, sometimes flying, intelligent whales throughout the series to be capable of drawing some kind of conclusion. In each appearance they are considered some form of divinity in the game they appear in. From the Wind Fish, to Jabu Jabu, Jabun, The Ocean King, and Levias it is not too far off a concept to believe that they could be related since they all follow the same basic form and function. However the Wind Fish and Levias are sky based while Jabu Jabu and Jabun are each called the spirits of water, and the Ocean King watches over the great sea of his world.

Levias makes a few statements that his position as watcher of the skies might be appointed by other deities and not necessarily a something that he is born into. The Hyrule Historia states that Jabun in WW was a descendent of Jabu Jabu so being the spirit of water, or guardian of said element might be an appointed position as well. It is certainly a title that is passed on from one being to another.

I am the great spirit they call Levias. Before she passed from this world so long ago, the goddess Hylia appointed me as warden of the skies.

I would not call him minor in relation to the others, in fact I would consider him to hold the exact same position as Jabu Jabu only his realm is the sky and not the water.

Surely you're familiar with Levias, the great sky spirit who has guarded our realm for ages? Levias has served as the protector of our skies for a long time, and his knowledge of our world is encyclopedic, to put it mildly.
Lord Jabu-Jabu is the patron deity
of the Zoras.

The people of Skyloft made routine offerings to Levias just as the Zora did for Jabu Jabu so he was just as revered by the Skyloftians. Only it was in that specific era of the game that he became violent and remained in thunderhead that the people could not give him the same offerings. This is very similar to the troubles with Jabu Jabu and the Zora, it was taken over by a parasitic entity that caused it to act differently and became dangerous.

Now the species of intelligent whale that is present in the world of Hyrule could hold a similar position to the Dragons. They are a very powerful, intelligent, magically inclined creature that is capable of being a monster/enemy like Argorok, Gleeok, or Volvagia, or they could hold the position of guardian deity themselves like the three dragons of SS or Valoo. So Levias and Jabu Jabu might not be directly related by blood themselves but it could be possible that they are of the same species only with different characteristics. such as there are fire and lightning dragons with elemental powers that are unique to them. There could be various flying and swimming whales but they are still the same basic species.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Djinn is just further stating what I was trying to get at in the first place just in a more literate sense. Thank you.
Anyway, I thought it would be entirely possible that Jabu-Jabu was worshipped by the Zoras because of his relation to Levias (in theory) giving him a kind of divine position.

He's as related to Jabu-Jabu as much as Jabu-Jabu is related to the Wind Fish and the Ocean King.

In other words, there is no connection.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
They both look like whales, except one is a sky whale and the other is water based. They might be both guardian spirits but I think they are unconnected.

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
There is no conctrete evidence that he would be, anyway i doubt just because there whales and watch over people makes them related, one is water one is sky also i dont think that jabu jabu is much of a god or deity he truly has no special powers, hes dies after 7 years, i think he may just be somthing the Zora found to worship.

Fiveoclock

Error 404- Life not found
I'd like to believe that they are related, but there really is no evidence to prove it. We do have three large fish-like creatures that are highly revered (Wind Fish, Levias, Jabu-Jabu), so they could be different incarnations of the same being but we can't say anything for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom