• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Last person to post wins

MightyMario

The Mightiest Mario
The first paragraph explains the character’s situation and describes each of the family and their actions. I don’t see how it’s out of place.

OGSniper

Sharpshooter for Hire
ZD Champion
Okay, good, good, good, good, good. I think the line that is throwing me off is the line-

"Thankfully, the temperature had dropped from a blistering heat to a warm breeze.''

Who is thankful in this sentence?

MightyMario

The Mightiest Mario
Okay, good, good, good, good, good. I think the line that is throwing me off is the line-

"Thankfully, the temperature had dropped from a blistering heat to a warm breeze.''

Who is thankful in this sentence?
It’s saying that the family is relieved the temperature had dropped.

ArchAngel217

Spoonman, come together with your hands, save meee
In your head, in your head. Zombie zombie zombie.
So, about this narration thing (if you need my credentials, they're that I'm good at writing and I have formal training from a college professor) third person doesn't necessarily mean that there is an active narrator. It is just an objective standpoint of writing the story, in which there is no true perspective (you're not looking at the world from the lens of any of the characters). It doesn't need to be specified that someone outside the story was telling the tale because there isn't really someone telling the tale. Third person is just a means of awakening the imagination in a way that doesn't use first-person pronouns.

MightyMario

The Mightiest Mario
So, about this narration thing (if you need my credentials, they're that I'm good at writing and I have formal training from a college professor) third person doesn't necessarily mean that there is an active narrator. It is just an objective standpoint of writing the story, in which there is no true perspective (you're not looking at the world from the lens of any of the characters). It doesn't need to be specified that someone outside the story was telling the tale because there isn't really someone telling the tale. Third person is just a means of awakening the imagination in a way that doesn't use first-person pronouns.
This is the best explanation, thanks.

OGSniper

Sharpshooter for Hire
ZD Champion
SHEEEEEEEEEEESH. Wow. Now this, was very much needed. What you said was sorta what I was trying to say. That was why I brought up the whole movie thing. Because in a movie, there normally isn't a narrator (like you said, the story tells itself.) unless the movie introduces a narrator-like Disney's Aladdin does. So when I read that sentence that I was confused about, I didnt know who was being thankful, an unknown narrator or whatever. That is basically what I was getting at. I assumed (My bad) that there was a narrator because I didnt misunderstand a sentence, so I started to asking questions about a narrator. Like I said, your post was a God-send. You must really be an ArchAngel.

Okay, let me read the prologue again.

ArchAngel217

Spoonman, come together with your hands, save meee
In your head, in your head. Zombie zombie zombie.
You must really be an ArchAngel.
Yeah, please don't say that. I appreciate the compliment, but that's super far from what I am.

Either way, I'm glad I could be of help!!
Me: "I'm so confused why do people think I'm emo?"
Also me: Is wearing black shoes, black pants, black Jean jacket, black and grey fingerless gloves, and a grey shirt that says "buzz off"
Right, though! That's totally relatable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom