• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Keeping Secrets From Family Members/Close Friends

*What's your opinion on this? Is it wrong to keep secrets from your family and those close to you? You know, things such as one's sexual orientation, religion, an illness, a boy/girlfriend, etc. etc. etc. Why or why not?

My opinion ↓
If your family is anything like mine, they'll just try to use everything that you tell them against you. For instance, very few people in my family, if any, know that I am an atheist, aromantic-asexual, I have IBS, I have social anxiety and depression, I am a suicidal, or that I can speak several different languages. I'm actually not a secretive person, though. I just don't think that my personal affairs are anyone else's business, family or not. My family just wants stuff to talk about and cause drama, not try to provide comfort, help, or support. I don't have any friends to keep secrets from, fortunately.

Some people have it a lot worse, though. Some people are disowned and shunned for their beliefs or sexual orientation or whatever. My mom would flip her lid if she knew I was atheist, and my older siblings would probably disown me if they found out that I was asexual, because being asexual is just as bad as being homosexual, in their opinion anyway.

*This may need to be moved to Mature Discussion.

D

Deleted member 14134

Should I let my family know that I've taken up a side career as a professional street pharmacist? Nah, I'll take my chances and keep a secret.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I have IBS

This shouldn't be a secret. Your medical issues should be public to your family so that they can work on (possible) solutions or at the very least long term treatment. Okay? That's not cool to have to keep your medical life private. If you should have anything public, it should be your health.
-------
I keep scretes from friends all the time. Most don't know that I have a long standing fanfic in my head. Most don't know that I have certain thoughts about females.
As for family, they also don't know of my mpersonal life. Why/? It's personal for a reason!

This shouldn't be a secret. Your medical issues should be public to your family so that they can work on (possible) solutions or at the very least long term treatment. Okay? That's not cool to have to keep your medical life private. If you should have anything public, it should be your health.

Well, this one's kind of not a secret on purpose. My mom and lots of others sort of knew but just didn't give a damn, so I just stopped talking about it, and they kind of just...well...forgot about it. Heck, I figured since I'm an adult now, I can attend to my own health, and I don't have to rely own them anymore. One of the neurologists at the hospital where my brother passed away at was pleading that my other siblings and I get examined immediately to find out if what my brother had is hereditary. When she asked if I had anything wrong, I kept the information to myself until the rest of my family left the room. I only told the neurologist these things in attempt to figure out anything that could help my dying brother. I knew that any information that I could provide was important since we're twins. Otherwise, I wouldn't have said sh*t. My family barely even knew half the stuff I know about mine and my brother's health, so telling them anything is just a waste of time. They just don't give a damn. lol

キラ

Yo!
If you don't feel comfortable telling people certain things, how is that not okay? It's perfectly okay. :)

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Hmm there are certain things that are a factor. How well do you get along with your family and what is their point towards certain views? If you get along with them very well and tell them everything I don't think you should have any secrets.
My late mother had a secret she never wanted to tell us and I have no idea why but till her death she have kept it a secret my oldest brother and sister were from a different father. Everybody in the family knew. There were even pictures of my two oldest siblings with their biological dad. But still my mom kept denying it and dismised it as a rumor. My father told my sister honest when she was at the right age he was not her biological dad and yet my mom kept denying it. I never knew why and I will never know anyway. Probably because she thought it was none of our business. I don't like these kinda secrets.

If you don't feel comfortable telling people certain things, how is that not okay? It's perfectly okay. :)
I agree, but some people look at it as if it's a huge sin to keep secrets from one's family members and close friends. I mean, some things I can understand, some things I don't get. Like, why is it such a bad thing? (rhetorical question)

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Anyone who says they don't have secrets is lying or part of some cultish hive mind.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
There are secrets I even keep from online people who I'm anonymous to. Some things you just don't talk about.

we all deserve to have our secrets, unless its something that can directly harm them or if you need serious help with something. however if your family likes to use stuff like that against their own and you sometimes feel like ya need to talk about it that doesn't mean you can't have friends or a find some kind of support group or something.

Last edited:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Well, my entire life on ZD is a secret to pretty much everybody I know. The only person I'm acquainted with IRL who knows about ZD is a friend, who caught me on here on accident. Most of the people I know hate Zelda, so I'd rather them not know I'm a member of a Zelda fansite.

And there are some other specific secrets that I keep from specific people, but they're mostly minor. I'm, for the most part, fairly open about my secrets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom