• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Zelda a girl's game?

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
I don't think Zelda is an explicitly gendered game. I know plenty people of all genders and ages who enjoy playing Zelda.

I think it's a people's game.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I think Zelda has been a globally popular series since at least 1990, it defined a genre the it helped create early in voyage of household gaming. And it has basically lost its need for a demographic, though it seems they still have the younger age demographic as their priority. Which is odd, cuz the reason a lot of younger kids I know personally know about it cuz their mom or dad played it. My mother is the reason I started playing Zelda. Every girl I know that is actually into video games; loves Zelda. Upon joining this site and more so now than then, I have noticed that the male to female ratio here is pretty even.

Which I just find all of this great. I'm glad that chicks did Link. And its not so gory and rude trying too be edgy, its a relaxing game too play even with the action portions of the game. So girls are more likely to enjoy it, though I know plenty that like a good murder game here and there. Nintendo really made video games a house hold thing, and became what people call video games, even it you not going to play a Nintendo, back then you always said, "lets play some Nintendo". They released Zelda for it, and continued to do so for eternity. So Zelda itself is a name that everyone know, guy or girl.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Lol Snake :P

I don't think it's a girls game. Yeah girls play it a lot but that doesn't make the game a girls game. It's just that the gaming world gets more female players. It's not a males-only thing anymore. Female players are cathing up. So more girls discover games and play it a lot. But that doesn't make a franchise necessarily a girls franchise or girls game.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
This might be an overgeneralization, but I think females may be drawn to Zelda for different reasons than males. There are some parts of a Zelda game that seem a bit more feminine (ex. lighthearted cutscenes, certain parts of the overworld, and Link himself) and some are more masculine (ex. combat, dungeons, darker cutscenes, and Zelda herself). Overall, though, I think the masculine and feminine moments in a Zelda game balance each other out for the most part.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Maybe because the protagonist can be more relatable to either sex since he doesn't speak? And because he's not unrealistically portrayed in his male-hood? Maybe it's the fantasy themes? I know a lot of girls in to JRPGs as well.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I've noticed recently that compared to other video game franchises The Legend of Zelda seems to have a rather large female fanbase.

I'v noticed quite a few females in this forum, then there's that hot violinist on youtube, I know far more female Zelda fans in real life than i do male fans of the series and then of course there's myself...

So, does Zelda have something that draws the female gamers in?

If so what do you think it is, because i'm not entirely sure... what it could be.

I dont think Zelda is aimed at girls specifically but allot of big games these days are focussed on intense action which testosterone fuelled men and boys are naturally inclined towards, therefore the fan bases are likely to have more males in which makes the female presence seem small. Zelda is less like that so females appear to have a larger presence in the fanbase than for something like COD which has a male dominated fanbase. Its not that it appeals less to female gamers than Zelda, because a lot of girls still play it, but it is even more appealing to male gamers because of the high level of violence.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I've never really thought of it as being one way or the other. And to be honest it shouldn't matter either way, because guys can enjoy things geared towards females and girls can enjoy things geared towards males without a problem. There's nothing that's black and white when it comes to stuff like this. I will say that one of my favorite things is watching dudebros vehemently avoid anything feminine because god forbid you're caught liking GIRL things!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom