• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Is the Pedastal of Time Made from a Time Shift Stone?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
ZD Champion
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
A few days ago I started thinking, maybe the pedastal of time is a time shift stone. It seems like the only explanation as to why the pedastal let's link travel through time. I'm sure you've all thought of this before, and honestly I'm suprised it never crossed my mind up until a few days ago. Its weird because I've always thought the gates of time are big hunks of time shift stones that were carved into giant gears.

So has anyone else thought of this? I think I'm really late to even be talking about this. Please feel free to comment.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
It's not an easily dismiss-able theory, but one that doesn't have much supporting it either. Only two Links travel through time via the pedestal. In OoT, its heavily insinuated that the sword is the source of the magic. This would be a great explanation as to why TP Link is able to travel back in time. It would also explain why the cubes in OoT disappear when you play a song involving time. Alas, the continuity in the Zelda series is too... Nintendo, to really connect these events legitimately.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
ZD Champion
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
It's not an easily dismiss-able theory, but one that doesn't have much supporting it either. Only two Links travel through time via the pedestal. In OoT, its heavily insinuated that the sword is the source of the magic. This would be a great explanation as to why TP Link is able to travel back in time. It would also explain why the cubes in OoT disappear when you play a song involving time. Alas, the continuity in the Zelda series is too... Nintendo, to really connect these events legitimately.

Yeah your right, I didn't even try backing the theory up because as you said there is nothing one can say to really prove it. Its just something to think about and maybe consider. Its up to nintendo to try and figure it out.

I don't think so, but the Ocarina is made of time shift stone, and I'm pretty sure it's been said that the master sword has the power and or ability to transcend time its self.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Well, the thing is, even if the pedestal was a Time Shift stone, it wouldn't be the source of Link's aging/time travel.

When Link first pulls the sword, Rauru explicitly says that he is "Left to slumber in the chamber for 7 years." Basically, Link is put in hypersleep in the Temple of Light for seven years, until he is old enough to fight Ganondorf and all the evil guys.

But I did always wonder how he is able to return to being a child. I think he reverts his actions (up to a point) when returning the sword to the pedestal, allowing him to be a child again. And when he pulls it, he returns to the point of where he placed it last.

Its definitely an interesting theory, but I believe its just a mixture of Link being in hibernation in the Sacred Realm, the Sacred Realm being magic and stuff, and sheer game mechanics, Nintendo wanting you to be able to switch back and forth as needed.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
ZD Champion
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Well, the thing is, even if the pedestal was a Time Shift stone, it wouldn't be the source of Link's aging/time travel.

When Link first pulls the sword, Rauru explicitly says that he is "Left to slumber in the chamber for 7 years." Basically, Link is put in hypersleep in the Temple of Light for seven years, until he is old enough to fight Ganondorf and all the evil guys.

But I did always wonder how he is able to return to being a child. I think he reverts his actions (up to a point) when returning the sword to the pedestal, allowing him to be a child again. And when he pulls it, he returns to the point of where he placed it last.

Its definitely an interesting theory, but I believe its just a mixture of Link being in hibernation in the Sacred Realm, the Sacred Realm being magic and stuff, and sheer game mechanics, Nintendo wanting you to be able to switch back and forth as needed.

Yeah I get what you mean, and I do think maybe that's the cause of links time travel, at least back then that was the explaination they gave, they didn't know there was going to be a game with time shift stones in it while they were making OoT.

The function of the pedestal is much closer to that of the magic mirror in ALttP than time shift stones. So, I would say there is really no reason to believe time shift stones would be involved.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
The pedestal really does nothing except seal the sword and act as a gateway to the sacred realm. When Link pulled the Master Sword out, he opened the way to the sacred realm, which allowed Ganon to sneak in, grab the triforce (or part of it anyway), and clear out. The sacred realm holds on to Link until he's old enough to not get turned into Kokiri paste when he tries to fight Ganon again. When he goes back and forth through time, he is going through the sacred realm to do it. The only thing even remotely confirmed as being made from timeshift stones is the Ocarina of Time. However those blue blocks probably are too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom