• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is It Necessarily Bad About Having Fictional Crushes

~Mizuki~

ALWAYS LEAVE BOX 5 OPEN
Simple question. Is it good or bad about having fictional crushes?

For the longest time, for me at least, I've never been attracted to real people and looking at the mists of some real relationships, I don't like the concepts of having a real boyfriend. And I really doubt that any guy would want to date me because I'm weird and I'm not "sexy" enough for them. I know I shouldn't be worried about this because I'm only 13 and beginning to experience of how hard reality will hit me in the face; but I'm just saying this because that's how boys are like where I live.

Usually watching shows or anime and even playing games, I happen to fall in love with the villain. If you know me real well , you've probably remember me having a bad obsession with Xemnas from Kingdom Hearts II, I still technically do but I calmed it down to a reasonable level, somehow.

But back to the question, is it something necessarily bad to have or is it good that you love someone that has similar interests/ characteristics in the fictional world?

Well, two things;

1. It's not inherently bad, no. Whatever makes you happy go for it. If it impedes you or your social life or whatever to the point of having an adverse effect on your well being then it is bad. But just having a crush, real or fictional, isn't a bad thing.

2. You can't 'love' a fictional character though. At least not in the sense of an actual love, like a romantic love for instance. At least not in my opinion.

Also you are 13, you hardly need to worry about dating yet. But when the time comes you can find someone, but you have years before you have to worry about that. Just enjoy being single right now, it can be a good thing :P

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I've had my share of fictional crushes, and it's okay to have them, but I would probably keep those crushes to yourself. It's perfectly fine to like a character to the extent of almost falling in love with them, so long as you know your boundaries. It's important to realize that at the end of the day, they're just a fictional character -- no if, and's, or but's about it.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Ig you fall in love with a character portrayed by an actor/actress it is still a fictional crush. I think all of us have those so nope nothing wrong or weird with that. Sometimes a fictional character has everything we need/want and I can't see any problem with that

Last edited:
The word "crush" was slang that started popularly being used in the 1920s, meaning "an intense but shallow/short-lived infatuation with someone/something." So... crushes in general... not a problem, no. Because they don't ever last long enough to make an impact on the person having the crush in most cases. Fictional crushes? Umm... probably the same thing because regardless if the person is real or not, there usually isn't a good chance you'd get to date them anyways. Sorry. Though being fictional kind of seals the deal on that, while if they exist there's still a tiny chance that whoever you're crushing on isn't a total buttflap. But not worth it because usually the reason behind a crush is shallow and you'll likely end up being disappointed after praising someone like a god and then realizing they're just like everyone else.

So, nah, it's not necessarily a bad thing, but only if you yourself can keep your head out of the clouds. Nothing's stranger than someone vouching for their fictional boyfriend/girlfriend because they think they love them back. Shallow.

Do I have a fictional crush? Fire Lord Ozai Nah.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
If there was anything bad or crazy about having fictional crushes, then sign me up for the loonybin. I say do what makes you happy, and don't worry so much. The people worthy of our attention will pop into our lives at some point and until then there's nothing wrong with having crushes on fictional people, generally I view that as having standards higher than what reality currently can provide. Also, in all honesty; you're 13. I didn't have as much as a date until I was 17, and It wasn't until I was almost 21 that I found someone truly worth it. Don't be in a rush, and certainly don't worry about silly things like being "sexy", because it's a meaningless subjective term. To some sexy means appearance, to some it's the voice, to some it's an attitude, and to others it's a bunch of other things.

Is it bad? No. It's alright to have a crush on a fictional character that you find or that was made to be attractive, it's not a this generation thing either, I'm pretty sure your great-great grandma was swooning to some handsome hero in a romance novel. lol

It only gets bad when someone starts doing that frightening extreme fangirl/fanboy thing and seriously obsessing. As long as you recognize your crushes on fictional characters as nothing more then something fun to fantasize over, you'll be kosher. And don't worry about never being good enough for someone, I used to think the same way and while I've definitely had my fair share of toads, I am currently with a great guy. Your young yet, you'll find your prince, even if ya hafta kiss a few frogs along the way.;)

Last edited:

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I don't think it's bad or weird, especially because you're only 13. You (And me, too.) aren't old enough to have a real relationship (And I when I say "real", I don't mean "Omg I have a boyfriend."). So I think in my opinion, having a crush on a fictional character and/or famous person (I know you didn't mention this but I think it also counts.) is just a natural thing, and is good in some ways as you won't be out trying to make out with real people before you're ready for a serious relationship. I have a lot of fictional crushes, and some crushes on real people... it's okay. As long as you aren't drawing creepy pictures. Things aren't creepy until other people find out about them.

I really don't think there's anything wrong with having a crush on a fictional character. Just as long as you don't do anything out of the ordinary like seriously obsessing over a character & say that you're marrying them in the future, then you'll be fine. Look at me, I'm recently falling in love with Vio Link from the FS manga, but I won't go to great lengths by saying I'll be marrying him later on in my life because I know he's fictional (and he's a kid, too, so I know I don't want to look creepy towards people online who think I'm a pedophile).

You have the right to have a crush on a fictional character. If you don't go overly-obsessive towards a character you love, you'll still be seen as an okay person.

Simple question: Are you going to print out a body pillow and make it your waifu? Nope? Good, then it's totally cool.

As long as you aren't printing out waifu body pillows and being super creepy and stuff (see the pillow wives trend), who gives a flying fudgesicle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom