• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

In-Game Help for Future Games?

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
If you've been reading the news posts about Ocarina of Time 3DS, then you probably know about certain "hints" featured in the game. One that we know about are "visions," short scenes combined to give you a hint on what to do next. The other hint featured in the game has to do with the Water Temple. Basically, they've laid a path out to help you navigate the temple...

So would you like to see hints like these in future games? For me, the "visions" couldn't matter less, since they can be helpful and I can also choose not to watch them. As for the colorful paths, I don't think I would like them... I like to navigate dungeons on my own, and those paths would be hard ignore.

So do you wanna see hints like these in future Zeldas? Is there another kind of hint system you'd like them to add? Leave a comment!

Djinn

and Tonic
Something I have thought of before is maybe a hint/help system that you could turn on and off at the beginning of a game. The sidekick characters are extremely helpful for learning how to play a game and dropping hints on where to go, what to do, how you should do it, etc. But on a second or third playthrough they can get annoying since you already know how a boss is defeated or which pathway to do down. And needless interruptions by Navi or Midna that only tell you to "watch out!" are no longer necessary and are actually disruptive. Then causing the player to tap buttons quickly sometimes causing the helper character to repeat what they just said accidentally.

So I thought maybe when you first start a game there should be some kind of choice to set helper characters or sidekicks on Active (vocal) or passive (quiet) and depending on the choice you made then that sidekick would immediately open up text bubbles telling you things or it would remain silent when you walk into a boss room. Since you the player already know how to fight this monster and do not really want the interruptions. Maybe even on the passive setting there could be a button to press that would bring up the text bubble that would have automatically appeared if the game were on active, sort of how you can speak to Midna when you are lost or do not know where to go in TP. Only this time Navi would be silent in volvagia's rooom until you press the hint button and then she would say what she was supposed to say when you enter normally.

Making the "help" optional might go a long way in adding relplay value to a few of these games and possibly end a lot of the hate fans have for characters like Navi. They are a great resource to have during a first time playthrough, but become far too annoying to deal with in later plays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom