• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Importance of the Music

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Many people, including myself, love the musical brilliance of the soundtracks of the Zelda games. (Except maybe Malo Mart, I can't stand that music... I have to mute the TV everytime I enter that place.-.-) So my question is this: Just how important is the music to you?

For me, it is a VERY important part of the overall gaming experience. The wonderfully orchestrated music of Twilight Princess, for example, really helped me to get into the game. But does this importance remain true for Nintendo as well?

I remember reading in an article here once that with the 3DS remake of Ocarina of Time, no detail was too small. Apparently, the music was too small of a detail, since they aren't reorchestrating it to match the graphics. After all, it does seem a bit strange to play a game with updated graphics and sound quality from over a decade ago. So does Nintendo not view the music as an important enough gameplay element to update it along with the graphics? It's not like it would've made OoT3D any less of the Ocarina of Time we've come to know and love. The game is still the same game, regardless of the graphical and menu updates. If anything, the menu updates would've made a bigger splash than updating the music.

So, what do you all think of this? Do you view the music to be a very important aspect of the game? Do you think Nintendo should've reorchestrated the music? Voice your opinions.
Or rather, type them...

Music is very important. When creating a game music is a wonderful tool to breath life into an area and create atmosphere. Some of my fondest memories of OoT involve the music. Music can be a create way to set the tone or create a mood, good music can make an already touching scene even more powerful.

Mthegreat

Long Time, No See.
any kind of entertainment depends all on the music.
so the music is the backbone of the game.
music creates different feelings such as happiness,sadness, fear, and much more

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I would say very important. Every Zelda game has had some extremely memorable songs, like the dark world theme from A Link to the Past, or the dozens of great scores we got from the N64 games. The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess had some great ones too, including Dragon Roost Island theme and Midna's Darkest Hour.

To answer your question Azure Sage, I don't think that the graphics in Ocarina of Time 3D are so impressive that the audio will seem out of place. If say, Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword had Ocarina of Time's sound quality, it would then feel off. Besides, are there really any issues with Ocarina's present audio, not really, especially for a handheld.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
A video game without any kind of music is nothing. I really enjoy video game music. It's really important to me. A video game is not a video game without any music. That's how music is really important to me!

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
A video-game without music is like peanut butter without jelly. the music really brings the game to life, and you can use the music to set the mood for an area/dungeon. Like, a scary dungeon with scary music is more terrifying and bed-wetting than a scary dungeon with no music at all. what i'm trying to say is, music is very important in games because it adds depth and liveliness to the game.

Thatlinkisaspy!

(not really)
In my opinion the music expresses emotion in a game. Without music it is hard, for me at least, to express emotion.

As for no re-orchestrated music I can understand why (game would take longer to release) but really the least Nintendo could've done is put the melee saria's theme in the lost woods.) (though I think they it to be a trip down nostalgia lane (for us who played ocarina of time on N64, gamecube, and/or Wii.)

Last edited:
J

juliaxt

I have like all the soundtracks.. lol. I love the music.. The games would be waaaay different without it.

Ikana

Trollkastel
Music is very important when it comes to video games. Music helps you get more into the feel of the situation that your in. Whether it would be sad or happy music is important to help give off those feelings.

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
Music is one of the MOST important parts of a Zelda game as mostly each song expresses a certain feeling depending on the area Link's in. I also think that what's unique is how the creators implement the musical talents of Link within the game also creating the ultimate "link" between Link and the player. As the player enjoys the music of the game, it can be said that Link ALSO enjoys music as he's often a musician. Most of my memories come the music of Zelda and it's what connects me to the game. I enjoy the music of each game and without it Zelda wouldn't be the same

I think that the music is an extremely important part of any Zelda game. Every time I hear Zelda music (from OOT especially), my emotions and imagination are triggered. The games and the music played an important part of my childhood. Sometimes I play a game just to listen to the music.

I'm guessing that Nintendo didn't re-orchestrate the music to preserve some nostalgia. It's probably one of those things that we'll only understand once we play the game, but I hope it feels just as amazing.

I share the same sentiments as above when it comes to music in OoT and other Zelda games. The music sets the mood of an area and combat situations. Like, the battle with Bongo Bongo in OoT when you hear the distinct sounds of him banging the bongo beneath Link's feet added the boss theme...epic.

Also, for some reason those two songs from WW-the Earth God's Lyric and The Wind God's aria-brought tears to my eyes. Oh, and the music from MM (especially Oath to Order)...priceless.

Music is very important to a Zelda game or any game for that matter.
The right music for a particular cut scene cannot be underestimated.
For OoT the scene where after bringing back the 3 spiritual stones and as you approach the drawbridge the game takes over,the sky darkens, then you see Zelda leaving Hyrule on a horse with Impa.

The music is just so perfect.
The music captures what goes on in this cut scene perfectly.
I could give you tons of examples in the Zelda series where the music reflects perfectly what is going on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom