• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

IllumiRoom - The Projected Future of the XBOX Brand

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
[video=youtube;re1EatGRV0w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re1EatGRV0w[/video]

Behold, what is now being called IllumiRoom. Using the next itteration of Kinect and a projector, IllumiRoom "blurs the lines between on-screen content and the environment we live in allowing us to combine our virtual and physical worlds." Supposedly Kinect 2.0 scans the surroundings of your room and adjusts it's projections accordingly.

Now before we get our undies in a bunch, understand that right now nothing is confirmed. Although why this wouldn't be involved in the NextBox is beyond me... Anyway, I think it looks pretty cool so far. I don't think (as of right now) you'll be able to interract with the projections. That stinks, but while it's an obvious assumption, it's probably an unrealistic one at this time. Microsoft claims that this is raw footage; no after-shooting effects were added to the video. :dry: Not sure I believe that one though...

Anyway it's a cool concept, but some HUGE questions I have are: How big of a dent will this put in my wallet? Can Sony and Nintendo compete? And is this just another gimmick? Sound off below.

I've seen something like this before and that was years ago, and it looked better than what i saw in that video too so i can't say it made me think that it was anything special or new. I also can't see players giving a damn about the action being outside and around the tv screen, its just unnecessary flare to me. But one can never know the market...

octorok74

TETTAC
Now you can see everything! Great, just what those Turtle Beach users need. They will be unstoppable now. But I think it looks pretty cool. Not sure why I saw Mario Kart though. At least, it looked like Mario Kart.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
What was the Kinect? A rip-off of a gimmick that failed in its own right. What will Kinect 2.0 be? Most likely the same as before, with a few extra features here and there.

I honestly don't have much hope for Microsoft's NextBox or any technology that's compataible with it. Nintendo is already failing me, Sony likely won't be able to compete thanks to financial situations, and I don't know what else is out there. Put a death to IllumiRoom and all motion-based gimmicks...or gimmicks as a whole. Give us some great games, not toys. :I

Austin

Austin
Why is a TV even necessary with that.

Just ask for the player to have a room with a large uncovered wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom