• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ideas For Link's Next Companion

T

Troubadour

Hey guys, I was just wondering if you guys had any thoughts on what you would want Link's next companion character to be like. I came up with the idea of Link having a pair of companions, and with both of them having strikingly different personalities. It would be sort of like the Good Angel, Bad Angel but not necessarily with good and evil personalities. The dialogue between the two could provide a good source of comedy in the game.

octorok74

TETTAC
Maybe a dog. Sort of like Dogmeat from Fallout 3 just you know, more fitting for the Zelda series. And not one of those small dogs from TP either. It would have to be a big dog. Or maybe a coyote.

skybird11

state alchemist
I like how midna has a big connection to the story in TP (being the twilight princess and all) and would love for partners to be more than just info brokers. Another idea is for them to turn into a mount to traverse hyrule field, maybe not a horse because that would be kind of wierd, so maybe a wolf or jungle cat?

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I want to bring back a fairy partner in some sort, but I'd want them to have magic and be able to actually help you.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I think we should have a Moblin named Mo...

I like the current trend of ghostly figures who help Link out. Midna and Fi—and ST Zelda, from what I hear—are great sidekicks who don't get in the way unless we need them. That is, unlike Navi and Tatl, they don't zip toward an item of importance, immediately giving away that we have to do something with the object. Instead they remain hidden and notify us if we get close to that object. They're always out of the way.

Henceforth, the type of companion I want to see next is a genie who resides in a lamp. He was abandoned by his master, who became power-hungry or vengeful toward Hyrule for his own reasons, and takes over the land while keeping Zelda captive. The role that the genie plays is to satiate his master's bloodthirst, and he and Link agree to do that together while also save Zelda at the same time.

I have the perfect companion. It's a fairy, but it will not speak unless spoken too first. When you do talk to it, it just gives you enemy analysis. It won't give you pointless information like Fi did, it wont tell you how to open a door like Navi did, and it wont force you to buy a sail cloth like KoRL did. You'll barely even notice the fairy's existence. That's the perfect companion.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I have the perfect companion. It's a fairy, but it will not speak unless spoken too first. When you do talk to it, it just gives you enemy analysis. It won't give you pointless information like Fi did, it wont tell you how to open a door like Navi did, and it wont force you to buy a sail cloth like KoRL did. You'll barely even notice the fairy's existence. That's the perfect companion.

But I liked talt and even ceila when they talked. I think a fairy thats more useful and more then simply telling you how to open a door would be great.

But I liked talt and even ceila when they talked. I think a fairy thats more useful and more then simply telling you how to open a door would be great.

I liked Tatl too (but not Ceila), but some other people think she's annoying because she dings. My idea of a perfect companion would be completely silent, never asking you to talk to it. If you want it's advise, it's there for you, but it wont pester you begging you to talk to it like Midna and Fi did.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Personally speaking I would have a Hylian companion, a character who is essentially another Link. I'm tired of seeing Link flawlessly take the brunt of the villains' magicks, it is time that he drops his one man army personality and sees the light of a sidekick/companion partner that acts as his, hmm, foil. So, where Link is a primarily courageous, daring young man, this companion of his would perhaps be less courageous and make up for it in wisdom or power.

Yes, no more OMA, and more Link being a flawed character would suit me just fine as long as this companion is a Hylian. :yes:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Personally speaking I would have a Hylian companion, a character who is essentially another Link. I'm tired of seeing Link flawlessly take the brunt of the villains' magicks, it is time that he drops his one man army personality and sees the light of a sidekick/companion partner that acts as his, hmm, foil. So, where Link is a primarily courageous, daring young man, this companion of his would perhaps be less courageous and make up for it in wisdom or power.

Yes, no more OMA, and more Link being a flawed character would suit me just fine as long as this companion is a Hylian. :yes:

A character following us around would be incredibly annoying and a pain to deal with.

And what's wrong with the OMA? That's one reason Link is so badass.

Maybe they could try a game with an optional help menu and that be it. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed having companions in the 3D titles and I sometimes like that they are involved in the story just like you. It would be interesting though if we had a true 3D title with no companion though. Just for something a little different. Imagine you as the hero, completely alone! No one on your side, you alone have to face all these challenges and no one will truly understand all you did except you! It could actually add to the atmosphere if they create one that truly feels desolate and lonely.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
A character following us around would be incredibly annoying and a pain to deal with.
And what's wrong with the OMA? That's one reason Link is so badass.
No more annoying than Navi, Fi, Midna and so on following us around.

What's wrong with it is that Link essentially is a Gary Stu -- he has no real flaws and can overcome -anything- just because he is Link. I mean, we KNOW Link is going to come out on top, that's practically how Zelda games have worked since 26 years ago. But, Link could at the very least require some assistance from other sources, and what better than his partner beloved (iirc Link requires Zelda's aid in ST which is good)?

No more annoying than Navi, Fi, Midna and so on following us around.

What's wrong with it is that Link essentially is a Gary Stu -- he has no real flaws and can overcome -anything- just because he is Link. I mean, we KNOW Link is going to come out on top, that's practically how Zelda games have worked since 26 years ago. But, Link could at the very least require some assistance from other sources, and what better than his partner beloved (iirc Link requires Zelda's aid in ST which is good)?

If were going to be honest here, realistically Link couldn't do anything he has done in any title without an army at his disposal. Having help from a few sources doesn't really make it anymore realistic. It's not realistic that he has fought off hordes of massive beasts by himself or with just a companion. That's not really the point though. If Link is truly a link to the player, he is just a vehicle to allow us to do great things. He allows us to do things we could never dream of actually doing. He allows us to be great then ourselves. That's part of the draw of Zelda, it's part of the escape. I think Zelda is one game where a flawed protagonist doesn't really fit. Just IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom