• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess I Think It's the Weakest Zelda

2. The dominion rod is used outside of it's dungeon a lot. Were you playing the game? It is the sole key of how to get into the next dungeon.

That's what I was talking about. All the places you use the dominion rod, outside of it's dungeon, are places that you need to visit to complete the game. They're even marked with a big red cross in your map. Because of that, I don't really consider these portions as exploration, since the game leads you there. And I guess I didn't miss much of the game, since I completed all the side quests (with the exception of Poe's Souls one, I caught 51), and just missed 3 pieces of heart.

edit:
Hey guys, just a question to those who said TP is their favorite:
Was TP the first, or at least the second Zelda game you played?

(if you wanna know, my first ones were OoT and LA)

Just to check the "first-time" effect. You know, like most people prefer Donk Kong Country 1 over 2, just because it was their first time.

People are entitled to their opinions regardless you like it or not.

And what is "30 characters"?

Zelda Dungeon has a 30 characters limit each time you want to make a post. It means you can't make a post that falls under that.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Just to check the "first-time" effect. You know, like most people prefer Donk Kong Country 1 over 2, just because it was their first time.

That's been done before, but to answer your question, I played it fourth. I played LoZ (way back in the day when it was first released, for that matter), AlttP, and OoT before Twilight Princess. I've also played MM, WW, LA, and MC since. TP has remained my favorite for a variety of reasons, though I like my top 3 (TP, MM, and MC) for different reasons, so it's fair to say they're close.

People are entitled to their opinions regardless you like it or not.

Wow, sorry if I offended you there! That was just a question. :hmm:

That's been done before, but to answer your question, I played it fourth. I played LoZ (way back in the day when it was first released, for that matter), AlttP, and OoT before Twilight Princess. I've also played MM, WW, LA, and MC since. TP has remained my favorite for a variety of reasons, though I like my top 3 (TP, MM, and MC) for different reasons, so it's fair to say they're close.

I don't know why people don't like Minish Cap that much. I think it's a very good Zelda game, but it's always ranked as one of the last (if no the last) in pools and stuff like that. I always have a hard time choosing between LttP and OoT as my favorite. OoT had a greater package overall, but LttP's gameplay is simply genious, and I really hope SS brings back those amazing sidequests MM had (that was my first reaction when I saw Majora's Mask during the beginning of the E3 trailer).

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
I understand that it's just your opinion, but I disagree. For me, it's far from being the weakest Zelda. In fact, it's right up there on my favorites list, right behind MM and WW. It topped OoT and MM in regards to having an "epic" feel and had the some of the best characters and cutscenes in the series. Sure, the game was linear and there wasn't much exploration, but TP has so much else going for it that it overshadows all of the bad stuff.

It also really bothers me when people complain about the items in TP not being useful. How many Zelda games actually have EVERY weapon useful? How often did you use the boomerang, hover boots or mirror shield outside of their respective temples in OoT? The ice and light arrows also had little use. How often did you use the bombchus, deku nuts or powder kegs in MM? Most masks were only used once and served no purpose afterwards. See what I'm saying?

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I liked the dungeons in TP, actually. The gameplay was almost exactly like Ocarina of Time.

The problem was the story. It felt very contrived, and Midna was creepy to me at first. I kept expecting her to betray me, and after I beat the game, still didn't understand why she wouldn't. It was only after thinking about it later on that I realized she was actually a good person, and that I'd let my first impressions dictate my whole attitude towards Midna without giving her another chance when she started acting nice, which Link and the other fans did.

It was big deal to me, because I felt let down by the story, which is part of the reason I play Zelda.

It's not the weakest Zelda, though. I think that "honor" goes to the DS Zelda games, thanks to their central dungeons. I think that SS might manage to "top" all of them, however, if that stamina meter gets overused.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
edit:
Hey guys, just a question to those who said TP is their favorite:
Was TP the first, or at least the second Zelda game you played?
I had played almost all of the 2D Zeldas before owning any of the 3D ones. The first 2D Zelda I played and owned was OoS, then LA, and then OoA. The first Zelda I ever played was OoT, back in 1999, if I remember correctly; but I never owned the game, even for a very long time after I played it. I had only played little bits and pieces of it at my friend's house and other locales, never having played enough to get past the second dungeon.

The first 3D Zelda I owned, however, was Twilight Princess. I enjoyed TP, so then I went and finally bought OoT, almost 7 or 8 years after I first tried it so many years ago. I was floored by how much more I liked OoT than TP. The graphics didn't bother me at all; the game just had a much more surreal and magical feel, and the game play, story, atmosphere, and music all went perfectly together. Despite its age, OoT still felt superior to TP in many ways, at least, to me.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I agree with you about it being the weakest Zelda, especially in terms of gameplay; in addition, the sheer linearity and lack of things to do outside dungeons seriously hinders my enjoyment of it (this would not be so bad if these elements did not co-exist; The Wind Waker was brutally linear but open-ended at the same time because it offered so much exploration). There is not a single moment that I, as Link, feel as though I am affecting anything in the world. It feels like a contrived, "designed" world, more than any Zelda game before it, and because of this, it is impossible for me to lose myself in it or even motivate myself to finish it (which I did--to my own dismay).

I also hated Midna, for gameplay and story-related reasons: she pulled you by the nose throughout the game, so that neither Link nor Hyrule felt really important; the most important location/story was the Twilight Realm, and we rarely saw it. As the proverbial icing on the cake, the "realistic" graphics were atrocious and uninspired (it had all the charm of an Xbox 360 military shooter) and almost none of the music, save Midna's theme and the field theme, even approached the quality of other Zelda titles. In terms of plotting, none of the characters' problems seemed especially linked or especially relevant, and major plot threads dropped off without development all too frequently for me. The conclusion of every arc felt like a deus ex machina, even if it wasn't. I don't understand how in a series with such tight narratives as Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess is lauded as having a "good story." I was so divorced and alienated from it that I could hardly stand it.

I've written hundreds of two thousand word rants about TP in my time, and perhaps I could dig one up and post it here, but the fact is I'm exhausted by this game, even talking about how bad it is. It is a tiresome, boring game devoid of any sense of adventure, any thrill, any playfulness. It feels like something a subpar Western studio would come up with in trying to make a "dark" and "mature" Zelda, and the arbitrary obstacles to progress are frustrating beyond belief. I'm sorry if this sounds mean-spirited, and I'm sorry if my points are not as well-developed as they should be, but there it is.

Oh, and one thing people try to tell me is that I would have been disappointed no matter what Nintendo did. That's not true at all. In fact, I like to point towards TP's contemporary, Okami, for an example of a logical evolution of Zelda gameplay that would have benefitted TP significantly. Okami may well be the greatest Zelda game ever made--it's rich, vibrant, imaginative, creative, it has unbelievably good storytelling, endearing characters (unlike the apathetic, detached, emo characters of TP), and most importantly, the scope of its exploration and abundance of its sidequests and sheer variety of its main quest make it impossible to put down. These games attempt some very similar story/gamplay themes, down to Zelda-like gimmicks, wolf controls, and "Twilight," but the difference shows how far Zelda has fallen. What an incredible contrast. What a testament to Twilight Princess' unmitigated blandness.

Last edited:

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I don't think TP is the weakest Zelda overall, but there are a few things that really annoy me about it.

I hate everything to do with Rupees; they're always thrown at you, and finding some in a chest doesn't feel rewarding at all. Even when you find 100 Rupees in a chest you can't keep it because your wallet doesn't have enough room!

I don't like the item use in the game. You always use your Bow and Clawshot, but rarely your Spinner, Dominion Rod, and Boomerang. The worst is the Slingshot because you only use it what, 3 times in the whole game before you get the Bow? Seems like most of these items are poorly implemented.

I also don't like the overworld size. It is too large and most of the space seems wasted, especially when you get the ability to warp early on. When you warp, though, it seems the overworld is now too small! What a paradox.

I don't like Ganondorf in the game either. It seems like he was lazily thrown in at the 11th hour "because it's Zelda." I would have enjoyed fighting Zant as the final boss.

TP is too easy. I like the puzzles a lot, but combat is an absolute cakewalk. Enemies and bosses are way too predictable.

However, I really like the characters and presentation in TP, some of which is like what we've seen in MM.

i can understand if people have a few problems with twilight princess like difficulty and item useage and stuff like that but i don't understand people that say they absolutley HATE twilight princess. i mean if you don't like this then WTF do you want from a zelda game?!?!

I didn't Like TP that much either, OoT was one of my first Zelda games and I honestly think it's TOO MUCH like it, even more so than alot of the other games. and i thought it was just an OoT remake with beefed up graphics

I disagree with this. OoT had a lot more to ALttP than TP did with OoT.

W

wherestheblanke

I agree mainly with what you said, I think the game lacked in a lot of areas, like OoT there wasnt much depth or a lot to do other than trying to get the magic armour which was virtually useless. Fighting was too easy since the back slice pwned all... it was still fun, but a game like even WW was harder and better :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom