• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

I think I can fix the timeline so that the new revelations in TotK do not contradict the lore of the past games.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Zora Monument #5 literally says that OoT happened long ago and that Ruto awoke as one of the sages.

Go to 7:40 and watch.
Again, what specific events from Ocarina of Time reference? I don't mean vague game theorizing or inferences that can be loosely tied to anything, but what specifically is mentioned?

Again, what specific events from Ocarina of Time reference? I don't mean vague game theorizing or inferences that can be loosely tied to anything, but what specifically is mentioned?
The fact that Princess Ruto, who was the princess of the Zora, a lively girl, an attendant to the patron deity, became a sage and helped the hero and princess of that time battle an evil man...which happened in OoT.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The fact that Princess Ruto, who was the princess of the Zora, a lively girl, an attendant to the patron deity, became a sage and helped the hero and princess of that time battle an evil man...which happened in OoT.
It also mentions a patron deity that didn't exist in OoT while implying that she was a servant of said deity who didn't exist in Ocarina of Time.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Wrong.

"Lord Jabu-Jabu is the patron deity of the Zoras. Princess Ruto is in charge of preparing his meals, morning and night."

A direct quote from a Zora in OoT.
Wow, I stand corrected. Let me write that as the sole concrete reference BotW and TotK make to previous games. Now if only the game could be clear enough on which nonsense timeline it's in. :eyes:

Now if only the downfall timeline actually existed in any of the games wasn't just some ****ty retconning by Nintendo.
It's canon whether you like it or not.

It was necessary anyway; OoT was made as a prequel to ALttP, but neither the adult or child ending lead into it smoothly.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It's canon whether you like it or not.

It was necessary anyway; OoT was made as a prequel to ALttP, but neither the adult or child ending lead into it smoothly.
It might technically be canon, but it's the equivalent of offering world shaking retcons via tweets on Twitter: it's bad and indicates a general lack of good writing. It's never been good storytelling and no amount of um-actually from stuff like Hyrule Historia will make it so. It's bad storytelling compounded by more bad storytelling from TotK.

Last edited:
So my theory is that Skyward Sword was made when the three timelines were canonized, so they made Skyward Sword specifically planning a fourth timeline to repair everything back into one. BOTW and TOTK being in this fourth timeline, but the story hasn't concluded yet.

I specifically think the three timelines loop back into the second SS timeline and are behind the secret stones, and the secret stones prevent OOT and the timeline split, ultimately leading to Demise's final defeat.

Here's the theory:

And here's sort of it visualized:
zeldaunited.jpg

No major retcons other than the originally established placement of where Breath of the Wild supposedly took place within.
Tears of the Kingdom has in-universe, as-canonical-as-all-the-other outfits that reference SS (Demise-defeated SS), OoT (AT), Z1 (DT), TP (CT), WW (AT), and LA (DT). Having it take place in a separate timeline is a MASSIVE retcon. BotW and TotK can't take place in an unmerged timelines, and frankly, merged timelines are problematic at best and completely moot at worst.

The only way to understand how these specific armor sets, recognized and treated as rare treasure with look, item descriptions and wolf hair to boot, is to either have all timelines merge through some cosmic mumbojumbo timeywimey I-don't-give-a-single-****-about-any-established-lore-or-the-laws-of-the-universe convergence event (which there is absolutely NO evidence for in-game or out) OR all the Zelda games take place in ONE unified timeline from start to finish and the flimsy justification for the Downfall Timeline and the silly-at-best existence of the Child Timeline woop-woop-woop away

and we are left with ONE timeline with EVERYTHING on it and a perfect spot for a refounding of Hyrule built on literal roots, post-Rito, the backstory of TotK being at the end of the AT.

Not seeing them in certain games doesn't mean anything. For example, in TP, we don't see any Gerudo aside from Ganondorf, and yet in the next game after, we see them in FSA. That doesn't mean they didn't exist in TP, It means that they aren't relevant to the plot of that game, so Nintendo didn't use them for that game, just like how the Rito are not relevant to the plots the other DT games, so they aren't utilized there either.
You know what I'm going to say to this so I don't even know why I'm bothering, but in your version of DT events, the AT has two different overlapping Rito races. I understand that you think the Rito and Koroks could somehow evolve in the DT, and that's fine, but the Rito can't be at the beginning of Hyrule because they explicitly were not in the AT. You ruin the AT lore by trying to preserve the DT lore.

"It is written that long ago there was a strong-willed Zora princess who was as meandering as a winding river. The princess, who was dearly loved by her fellow Zora, was as noble as she was innocent. Her name was Ruto. One day, a powerful and wicked man tried to take over Hyrule and brought great ruin to the once-peaceful Zora's Domain. Our tales speak of fallen Zora soldiers drifting down the river as it sadly reflected the chaotic retreat of the terrified Zora. Princess Ruto bravely fought back her tears as she bore witness to the tragic misery unfolding in the domain. Even amid her heartbreak, the Zora princess did all she could to help the weak and elderly escape. Next she swam against the river's current and climbed the mighty waterfall to challenge her foe. The details of this fight have fallen victim to the haze of time. Few details remain. Still, it is said that she was aided by the princess of Hyrule and the hero of legend, and together they saved Hyrule. So the legend goes."Learnings of the Zora, Part Two

This is OoT. And not just any OoT, Adult Timeline OoT. "Together they saved Hyrule." Link did NOT save Hyrule in the DT or the CT. The Hero of Time, as we know him, exists in ONE timeline.

You know what I'm going to say to this so I don't even know why I'm bothering, but in your version of DT events, the AT has two different overlapping Rito races.
So? The DT has two overlapping Zora races, too(River and Sea Zoras). Not the first time something like this has happened.

This is OoT. And not just any OoT, Adult Timeline OoT. "Together they saved Hyrule." Link did NOT save Hyrule in the DT or the CT. The Hero of Time, as we know him, exists in ONE timeline.
OoT Link did play a huge part in saving Hyrule on the DT, though; he still went through the temples and saved the sages, meaning that without him, the sages wouldn't have been able to seal Ganon and the Triforce away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom