• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Humanoid Bosses

Apparently unlike a lot of people around these parts, I quite enjoyed Skyward Sword for the most part. One of my favorite things about it was Ghirahim - as a character but also in terms of gameplay; he's one of my favorite bosses of all time, and I think part of it has to do with the fact that he's a boss in a Zelda game who isn't a giant monster. I liked that about Spirit Track's Byrne as well but he wasn't quite as good in my opinion.
I think the Zelda series could benefit from having more bosses of the humanoid variety. Thoughts?

Sure.it's kinda nice to have someone other then Ganon chat you up once in a while. Though I prefer Vaati to Girahim in terms of a good boss fight. Girahim trumps Vaati in terms of personality. I didn't like Yuuga and it was nice to see Hilda as a villain that had benevolent motives.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well I always enjoy the Ganondorf fights, it's good to have a fight with a humanoid like him. I very much liked the Ghirahim battles and even the Demise fight though as a final boss he was lacking and that is why it was disappointing.

What is also good about fighting the likes of Ghirahim, Zant or Ganondorf is that they are not simply monsters and will converse with you, (or rather monologue as you rarely see link say anything) and you get a feeling that there is a reason to be fighting these guys not just killing a monster to get a heart container.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I wasn't a fan of the fight with him in OoT, but I loved fighting him in WW and TP.

Didn't like the energy tennis? I was a big fan of it with Phantom Ganon first and then with Ganondorf himself. Now I feel OoT is the only battle with Ganondorf where he actually does a decent amount of damage. WW's and TP's looked epic and felt that way but they are too easy, you expect Ganondorf should be able to do a lot more damage than you actually receive in game, it could be said for those two games in general rather than just the final bosses though.

Didn't like the energy tennis? I was a big fan of it with Phantom Ganon first and then with Ganondorf himself. Now I feel OoT is the only battle with Ganondorf where he actually does a decent amount of damage. WW's and TP's looked epic and felt that way but they are too easy, you expect Ganondorf should be able to do a lot more damage than you actually receive in game, it could be said for those two games in general rather than just the final bosses though.
That's a good point. I never thought about that in the case of WW because in that game I felt like Ganondorf was a great boss in a game where all the other boss fights (except for Puppet Ganon I suppose) were just ridiculously easy.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
I love humanoid bosses.

All throughout Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland you fight Oinker bandits as mini-bosses. Within the game world, they function much the same as Bulblins except not mini-boss encounters obviously.Introducing the Oinker Chief, who controls all Oinkers. They're her servants! A great humanoid Zelda mini-boss fight. Hope you enjoy!

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Zelda is know best for it's massive bosses, and the sense that you are completely out matched. However I did like Ghirahim. And Agree that it was probably in-part due to him being humanoid. I think there should be more humanoid characters. Maybe like a league of bad guys working for Ganon or whoever. I'm not saying replace the Big bosses. In fact I think it would be more interesting to make the Human like characters mini bosses, either in dungeons or random encounters scripted in your travels. Like say Lanayru, or Eldin would be said humanoid characters territory, and he confronts you upon entering his domain. Another story plot they could add could be that these big bosses at the end of a dungeon could be that particular villains pet, or creation. I dont know. I just think there are ways too add more interesting villains that add to the story from their side. Kind of like the freedom fighters did in TP for the good guys side.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "more" humanoid bosses. I certainly would not be interested in seeing an entire league of them. Perhaps, I would say, one or two of them per game. The main reason I think they'd be a good addition is that while the big beasties tend to be a little bit more of a puzzle-boss that you have to figure out, I can see humanoid bosses being all about skilled swordsmanship. So I think if they do humanoids then they should not require certain items to fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom