• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

MM-3DS Hugging Cremia Isn't Random, New Discovery and Explanation!

J3f

After extensive research into the matter using both an emulator and an actual Nintendo 64 I have concluded that receiving the hug from Cremia is not random as most sources on the internet have led me to believe. I have also developed a methodology to consistently receive the hug.

First some supporting evidence. In several other instances in Majora's Mask, the game does not generate random numbers even when it would make sense. The lottery, Bomber's Code, and Great Bay Skulltula House code are hard coded to each individual cartridge. The Rock Sirloin is always in the Pot to the left on the Chandelier. The only instance I can think of that might be RNG is the Stalactites in the Goht fight. I'm leaning towards them being part of Goht's AI routines meaning it's based off of the players actions and positioning. I wouldn't rule out Majora's Mask being truly incapable of generating Random Numbers and only reacting to the Player's actions like much older games such as Galaga.

So now to the Milk delivery. I've read several incorrect explanations of how to get the Cremia Hug. Most sources, just state it random. One source said that if you maxed out your rupees you'd always get the hug.

So how does it actually work? The game keeps track of how many hits the Gorman Bros. make on Cremia's Milk Bottles. In order to consistently receive the hug you must not get any hits on the Milk Bottles. Some runs had me receive the hug even after receiving 1 hit, but to be safe just don't get any. I do not have a comprehensive theory (yet) how this quest works while wearing the Circus Leader mask however, my hypothesis is that it's based on how close the Gorman Bros. get to the Milk Cart, which probably also applies to when not wearing the Circus Leader Mask.

Now the part everyone's missed, since my theory has been debunked several times before I'm sure. In the final scene when the Camera zooms out, you don't lose control of Link nor do the Gorman Bros. stop attacking the Milk Cart. They can get in a couple more swings based on how close they are. This is what I believe has led to the quest's seemingly random reward. To consistently get the hug you must not take any hits while keeping the Gorman Bros. at distance the entire time. When the camera zooms out for the final scene repeatedly release arrows at a steady pace. If you've done everything correctly your last arrows will keep the Gorman Bros. far enough away to avoid getting hit and trigger the hug. Accurately firing lots of arrows into the Gorman Bros. even when they're not charging helps keep them at distance.

Through testing on an emulator I've ruled out a random number being generated before or during the quest. Several consistent runs of the quest later and I came up with my theory, tested on an emulator and a physical N64 using the NTSC 1.0 Cartidge (gold and Holographic sticker)

Ghirahimiscool

Cucco Butt
or maybe they needed to have Link get some kind of reward after you've already got the others. so they added in a hug, since a hug can be seen as a reward becuz she's so happy you helped her.

Made an account just to say this.

I aced it with no mask, and got 200 rupees.
Tried again on the other save slot [copied it across], but I accidentally put the Garos mask on instead of the Circus Leaders, so I just let them go nuts because I wanted to see what happens if I failed. Had 1 jug left, and got the hug cutscene I was going for in the first place.

What.

Wow I had no idea this was randomized(Or could be random). I thought I remembered always getting the hug, and then I realized I got rupees as well. Always thought the hug was first, and then you got rupees if you did it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom