• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How They Grow Up So Fast...

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
aretheymore.jpg

Lately I have been replaying the classic Zeldas and have realized something. Each of the three Link's in that era had something that they represented. But there was something more, when you look at their sequels you can easily tell that these Link were all meant to grow up. Like us children, we were meant to grow up and these sequels were meant for us to adapt to and test our powers from the last time.

LOZ Link starts out as the most basic of the group. He was meant to represent a childish fantasy and freedom. You were given freedom to do whatever you Through his adventures you build your own scenario of the epic that you escaped to. Everything is yours to bend, you are free to be everywhere and the dungeons are only a side story for you to follow. The point of Link here though was for him to be your escape to freedom and mystery.

In Aol Link had become older and so had the children who played the original game. These older gamers were ready for your normal sequel that would thrust them back into the land of Hyrule but instead you got something different. In here Link was meant to represent abandonment in a lonely and new world. The game itself was a rapid departure from your average Zelda and you were forced to cope with this issue. Eventually you had become entwined in the world as a conqueror and your skills were put to the test in the valley of death, you had become an adult in the process.

The next Link is the one form Alttp. He represents being tasked with adult matters. Alttp featured a much more constricted and developed story from the original two games. Now you were given a series of tasks and you had to complete in order to progress through the game. Though freedom was something you could still taste, you still knew that your task was in front of you and you had to get to it soon.

In LA, Link had a new representation of maturity. While you had tasks ahead of you, you were now given a new power: decision making. Through the game you slowly discover that Koholint Island is a dream world and that you could indivertible destroy it for your freedom. However, there is a way out of it; if you simply ignored the task ahead you would be free of the horrible task to destroy it all, but would there be happiness. Once again, Link and you had grown up to understand that we do things that we don't like.

Then we get to OOT. In this game Link is very similar to his Alttp counterpart. Each one was trying to represent the ideas of being tasked with adult matters. However, in OOT this is somewhat intensified in the Adult Section where you see the result of Ganon's reign. It is here that the player is meant to understand the grave situation of their task and complete it.

Then Majora's Mask comes in and the player is thrust into a new world. It is here that the player is given the same message in Link. You are given adult tasks, but the difference this time around is that you can also experience failure. You must take your quest seriously and be on your toes. Learn to explore the world, interact with the people and grow with them. You slowly understand their plight and feel the need to be stronger. You are coming to grips and growing up with your task.

Wind Waker Link was the Link who started out his journey as a small boy who had found himself going on an adventure. In this game we were given the freedom that we had once known in the olden Zelda games while being restricted in the first portion. Unlike Ocarina and Link to the Past, this Link slowed down his pace and chose to be a free spirit. His task never seemed as urgent as it seemed and he let the player instead mosey around the Great Sea, giving help to every soul in need.

In Phantom Hourglass, Link had changed and his task had become more dire than before. With his friend in danger, Link had to grow up and become similar to the Link's of the 64 era. His task was out before him and he had to urgently make haste to save Zelda from the cold hands of death.

Note how for PH and WW I had given Link his own identity, because I believe that these two are some of the last games where Link still bears his avatar like state before fully becoming his own character. Anyways, these are what I interpret Link in these games. I found that whenever Link had a sequel that came up he had to always grow up in some way. I will edit this article if you found it too confusing.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
You made an excellent point there Charged.

All Links had to grow up in their own way. They were adventurers waiting to be adults or grown-ups. It is also a possibility that not only what their doing also helps them grow, but also helping the NPCs. One example is in MM

See, in MM Link must help people right? Link is given a heavy burden, too much for a child,yet he was able to do it. It seems to be he had grown up more with the help of the NPCs, they provided him with Certain information or items so he can use to do his main matter, to save the town.

Let me add the other games,

MC had a child named Link with his childhood friend Zelda, there he was tasked with a grave matter, returning everything to normal, too much for a child. He got the responsibilities of a Knight rather than a adult, he was to save his best friend from petrification and to end the evil mages reign.

OoS/OoA was a game that Link had to go through, there Link experienced adventure and less pressing matters from an Adult, yet he is treated like one. It may be his teenage appearance, but It looks to me that the people thought Link was more of an Adult rather than a teenager.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
You made an excellent point there Charged.

All Links had to grow up in their own way. They were adventurers waiting to be adults or grown-ups. It is also a possibility that not only what their doing also helps them grow, but also helping the NPCs. One example is in MM

See, in MM Link must help people right? Link is given a heavy burden, too much for a child,yet he was able to do it. It seems to be he had grown up more with the help of the NPCs, they provided him with Certain information or items so he can use to do his main matter, to save the town.

Let me add the other games,

MC had a child named Link with his childhood friend Zelda, there he was tasked with a grave matter, returning everything to normal, too much for a child. He got the responsibilities of a Knight rather than a adult, he was to save his best friend from petrification and to end the evil mages reign.

OoS/OoA was a game that Link had to go through, there Link experienced adventure and less pressing matters from an Adult, yet he is treated like one. It may be his teenage appearance, but It looks to me that the people thought Link was more of an Adult rather than a teenager.

Actually I was mostly referencing sequel games since when you look at it, the sequels provide an entirely different adventure for Link. Look, Aol had a different villain and quest, MM had a different villain and slowed down the plot, LA had a different villain and conflicted morals, PH had a different villain and an intensified journey.

Each sequel is thrusting Link into a new world and giving him and the players a chance to grow up and understand the roles that they had taken and how far they have to go to fulfill those roles.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I do see your point there. But was the reason that they made Link a child is so that the game would appeal to younger gamers? Or the timeline? Or the fact that they wanted to try something new? But I do think that Toon Link is cute, but teenage Link is more of a warrior and not a kid.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I do see your point there. But was the reason that they made Link a child is so that the game would appeal to younger gamers? Or the timeline? Or the fact that they wanted to try something new? But I do think that Toon Link is cute, but teenage Link is more of a warrior and not a kid.

The Zelda games were based of Miyamoto's childhood. This would suggest that he wanted them to appeal to children with longings for such fantasies. Then a sequel comes out with a Link who has basically come back from an adventure and is still resembling a child because he only comepleted the child portion of the adventure that allowed him to become a teenager. Then in the sequels Link goes through a new phase into adult hood with an up in difficultly and more mature themes.

Take the rumored Zelda Wii for example; it could be the third stage of the OOT Link line. He is now a full fledged adult and must make sure to keep his tasks maintained. You, the player, most likely in your adulthood had most likely played OOT way back when so this is the perfect opportunity to see the world of Hyrule in a new prospective. That is how I view the experience at least.

Din Akera

Sniper
You have made some interesting points and made me think about it quite a bit. Now, i have not played all the gamest that you mentioned, though I understand your thought on them. My biggest question is to you then, is your overal point that we have watched the player, Link (as a character), or the game grow up?

The three are interconnected I know. But you talk about the expansion of plot, the growing of the complexity of task, and the depth and necessity that the task/quest is felt or needed to be completed.

I think this type of progression is felt in all three of the areas I mentioned. but I think that is natural for any game series that is done well. Progression and creation of neew games will advance and 'grow up' so you say, as will the players, characters, and tasks within the game.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
You have made some interesting points and made me think about it quite a bit. Now, i have not played all the gamest that you mentioned, though I understand your thought on them. My biggest question is to you then, is your overal point that we have watched the player, Link (as a character), or the game grow up?

The three are interconnected I know. But you talk about the expansion of plot, the growing of the complexity of task, and the depth and necessity that the task/quest is felt or needed to be completed.

I think this type of progression is felt in all three of the areas I mentioned. but I think that is natural for any game series that is done well. Progression and creation of neew games will advance and 'grow up' so you say, as will the players, characters, and tasks within the game.

Ah yes, that is a problem that I expected to come up but I think I have a logical answer to it now. Link himself is the game; as the avatar he leads you through the adventures and you grow up with him just like he is programmed. Link is the game.

Also progression can be done well, but I think it is often done best with Zelda because each Zelda game defines a generation.LOZ was meant for the children of 80s gen while Aol was their goodbye. Alttp was built for the early 90s kids and LA was their goodbye. OOT was for the late 90s and MM saying goodbye into the 2000s.

Because Link kept that state of Avatarhood and has always had a 1 sequel issue this allowed players to really grow up with Link. This could also be a good reason for why Link is different in almost every game. He is meant to define the generation. Of course, that has somewhat been lost recently.

Din Akera

Sniper
Ah yes, that is a problem that I expected to come up but I think I have a logical answer to it now. Link himself is the game; as the avatar he leads you through the adventures and you grow up with him just like he is programmed. Link is the game.

Also progression can be done well, but I think it is often done best with Zelda because each Zelda game defines a generation.LOZ was meant for the children of 80s gen while Aol was their goodbye. Alttp was built for the early 90s kids and LA was their goodbye. OOT was for the late 90s and MM saying goodbye into the 2000s.

Because Link kept that state of Avatarhood and has always had a 1 sequel issue this allowed players to really grow up with Link. This could also be a good reason for why Link is different in almost every game. He is meant to define the generation. Of course, that has somewhat been lost recently.

Oo! I really like that explaination. I must say I have never thought of it in this way, but now that you mention it I think you have made some impressive discoveries/points.
The games grow with the generation and society. I like it. :) I think that is the way that is is meant to be. It is important that the source of entertainment grows, otherwise it would be discarded and thrown away by the generation that 'outgrew' it.

Austin

Austin
I see your point for the most part, but I'd have to disagree on the OoT/MM transition. While it's true that MM is darker than OoT, keep in mind that Link is not only a child's body again, but appears to still have a child-like mind. The evidence of this lies in a quote said during the Anju & Kafei sidequest. After recieving the Pendant of Memories from Kafei, the game states something like "You don't really understand these grown-up matters, but you better do as you're told". In OoT, Link's adult section was just that, him as an adult. Old enough to save the world properly, to truly face off against Ganondorf, and even minor things like being responsible enough to take care of his own horse.

Don't forget the return to Kokiri Forest as well. I've always viewed this as the biggest sign of time passing. Link's childhood paradise is infested with monsters and darkness, and all of his friends don't recognize him while remarking how old he is.

My point is this, essentially. OoT started out child-like and gradually became something much more mature. Link's growing-up-phase occured in that single game, rather than in the time between sequels. MM is dark, but you don't feel like an adult dealing with failure and cutting through the darkness, you feel like a lost child wandering through a dysfunctional society, and no matter what you do you only find more despair. It isn't a progression so much as an antithesis. As a player, you experience that as well, IMO. I think the adjective "unsettling" is used more than "dark" for MM for a reason; the plotline is dark, sure, but it's more uneasy than anything else. As you travel through the game you only sink downwards, rarely seeing anything to lift your spirits. A very nihilistic person may label that as growing up, but I disagree. At the most, it's an alternate version of maturing than the one presented in the second half of OoT.

But, as for the other games mentioned, I agree. You went from a resourceful child in LoZ to a man gradually developing his own power in AoL. As the player, the focus isn't so much on exploring and developing creative uses for items as it is growing stronger and gathering experience (hah). I haven't played LA so I can't comment there, but I agree on the point of WW/PH as well. Though the humor is still there, you feel less free and more like you MUST complete the task ahead of you.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I see your point for the most part, but I'd have to disagree on the OoT/MM transition. While it's true that MM is darker than OoT, keep in mind that Link is not only a child's body again, but appears to still have a child-like mind. The evidence of this lies in a quote said during the Anju & Kafei sidequest. After recieving the Pendant of Memories from Kafei, the game states something like "You don't really understand these grown-up matters, but you better do as you're told". In OoT, Link's adult section was just that, him as an adult. Old enough to save the world properly, to truly face off against Ganondorf, and even minor things like being responsible enough to take care of his own horse.

Don't forget the return to Kokiri Forest as well. I've always viewed this as the biggest sign of time passing. Link's childhood paradise is infested with monsters and darkness, and all of his friends don't recognize him while remarking how old he is.

I suppose I worded that wrong. I agree with a good portion of what you said here. In OOT you were leading a very carefee adventure. I suppose I meant to say that in MM you were suppose to become an adult afterwards. You did not understand what was really happening but you eventually grew bonds with these people.

In the Anju and Kafei questline you didn't really understand the adult matters when you started the quest because Link was still not deeply engrossed in Anju and Kafei's story. As the adventure passed on by you were supposed to follow them and slowly understand why they were doing all this. No bubbles afterwards showed you what you were feeling since Link was your avatar and "you" were supposed to decide whether you learned something or not.

The Adult section of OOT I think was something a little shattering for him. With the situation where the forest had become infested it was then that Link becomes a little more determined to stop Ganondorf. That situation in the game was meant for you to see the extent of Ganondorf's power, to see how he could perverse your childhood paradise.

My point is this, essentially. OoT started out child-like and gradually became something much more mature. Link's growing-up-phase occured in that single game, rather than in the time between sequels. MM is dark, but you don't feel like an adult dealing with failure and cutting through the darkness, you feel like a lost child wandering through a dysfunctional society, and no matter what you do you only find more despair. It isn't a progression so much as an antithesis. As a player, you experience that as well, IMO. I think the adjective "unsettling" is used more than "dark" for MM for a reason; the plotline is dark, sure, but it's more uneasy than anything else. As you travel through the game you only sink downwards, rarely seeing anything to lift your spirits. A very nihilistic person may label that as growing up, but I disagree. At the most, it's an alternate version of maturing than the one presented in the second half of OoT.

I believe the adulthood section actually starts when you reach the Great Bay and Ikana. In Great Bay you have to deal with the issues with the band members and the thoughts of protecting them and a dying great bay.

In Ikana, the theme of trust and friendship is thrust to you.

The sidequests though, they were the biggest thing. Because of the time limit you had the ever lasting sense of doom surrounding you. The stentch of failure would perverse your eyes. If you failed a dungeon before the time ran out then no problem, made a mistake saving Romani? Don't worry about it because you have the one thing that most people would beg for: Another chance. Through these failures, you and Link grow up until you finally become the adult in a child's body. Though you might be a bit spoiled in your evolution though, since you should know that you need to live through your failures.

But, as for the other games mentioned, I agree. You went from a resourceful child in LoZ to a man gradually developing his own power in AoL. As the player, the focus isn't so much on exploring and developing creative uses for items as it is growing stronger and gathering experience (hah). I haven't played LA so I can't comment there, but I agree on the point of WW/PH as well. Though the humor is still there, you feel less free and more like you MUST complete the task ahead of you.

You know, funny thing about WW and PH. Recently I saw a picture of WW Link that actually shows him evolving into an adult.
linkoriginaldesign.jpg
(credit to Northapple)

This made me wonder, what if PH is only a part of that evolution. PH is the teen link section of WW. I only wish that we had an adult section over ST.

Austin

Austin
The sidequests though, they were the biggest thing. Because of the time limit you had the ever lasting sense of doom surrounding you. The stentch of failure would perverse your eyes. If you failed a dungeon before the time ran out then no problem, made a mistake saving Romani? Don't worry about it because you have the one thing that most people would beg for: Another chance. Through these failures, you and Link grow up until you finally become the adult in a child's body. Though you might be a bit spoiled in your evolution though, since you should know that you need to live through your failures.
I understand the points you made above, but this I disagree with to an extent. While it's true that you as Link often experience failure in MM, it is failure without consquence. In a way, you had the ability to make decisions as carelessly as possible, as you always had the knowledge that you could start from the beginning again. The way I see it, maturing is dealing with the consquences of your failures, not just the failure alone. Although, I will acknowledge that even if you can do something over, seeing yourself fail repeatedly isn't something you can just shrug off.

With that, I'd like to go off on a bit of a tangent, if no one minds. What interests me about the topic is whether the future of Zelda will continue the trend, so to speak. TP defies this type of logic (unless you consider it a "spiritual successor" to OoT) as Link starts out matured without a prequel. If Zelda Wii is its sequel, what part of the player's growth will it reflect?

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I understand the points you made above, but this I disagree with to an extent. While it's true that you as Link often experience failure in MM, it is failure without consquence. In a way, you had the ability to make decisions as carelessly as possible, as you always had the knowledge that you could start from the beginning again. The way I see it, maturing is dealing with the consquences of your failures, not just the failure alone. Although, I will acknowledge that even if you can do something over, seeing yourself fail repeatedly isn't something you can just shrug off.

With that, I'd like to go off on a bit of a tangent, if no one minds. What interests me about the topic is whether the future of Zelda will continue the trend, so to speak. TP defies this type of logic (unless you consider it a "spiritual successor" to OoT) as Link starts out matured without a prequel. If Zelda Wii is its sequel, what part of the player's growth will it reflect?

That is exactly what I mean. Link is spoiled because he is given these other chances. However, the first time you would be very mortified by a failure like that. However, you learn to assess the situation and become stronger that. He is still spoiled by the fact that his defeats are only temporary. However you must also realize the lingering thoughts of, "How can I save everyone?" I know the ending of MM makes it seem alright but I usually disregard the ending, it is up to the player to understand how the ending went.

You also bring up a good point with TP. I believe this stems from the fact that TP was meant to be a new Ocarina to fit with this generation. Most video game players are now teenagers and young adults. So the next step is into adulthood. If ZWii Link is in fact OOT Link matured, then we are going to be going through adult matters into full. We are no longer just becoming adults, we are maintaining it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom