• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Important is Backwards Compatibility to You?

backwards compatibility is VERY important. why? because if you play as much as me, every game system have a life span and the console dies when it runs out. so it's important that newer game systems can play the older ones.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
Not very at all in some cases, very in others.

You see on one hand, I have only every put in one GameCube disc into my Wii just to see how it worked. It did. Wow. So I turned it off. I have yet to do it again.

On the other hand, I have the new PS3 slim that isn't backwards compatible. I was looking in a game sale deal bin and saw Shadow of the Colossus, a game I have always wanted to play. I was about to buy it and realized I couldn't play it. So, I unfortunately left it in said bin. *Sniff!*

So, when it comes to games I've already played, I don't particularly care. If a Wii 2 can play Wii 1 games, I really wouldn't care as I would still ahve my Wii available. I buy all Nintendo console systems and have since the orignial NES' original release, so it's no skin off my nose to remove that backwards feature.

When it comes to games I haven't played though, I would love it. I went from the original Game Boy to the DSi without playing any handheld Nintendo system in between. So, I've missed out on a LOT of great titles. I wanted the DSi for the prospect of a VC, but they didn't implement it. Because of this, I don't have GBA compatibility, so I'll have to hunt down used systems to catch up on old titles. I realize it's harder to do with cartridge based systems, but still, it would be nice. It's shame so many classics have gone off the radar. A VC would eliminate my need for backwards compatibility, or in Sony's case - a FLESHED OUT VC would be better. I like their offerings I can download to the PS3 Slim, but I need more especially when it comes to games like Shadow of the Colossus.

In the end - short answer - Important for systems I don't follow each iteration, Not Important for Nintendo Consoles!

It really doesn't matter all that much to me. It's nice to have it, but if its gonna raise the price f the console, I don't want it. It is more convenient to have less crap hooked up to your TV though.

Well, I tend to buy defective consoles. Typically consoles that break at random moments months after purchase. My gamecube did this multiple times. Because of this, the Wii backwards compatibility was extraordinarily helpful and money saving. I loved it, play it almost every day and it's great. Although, if they do a backwards compatibility for Wii games, it won't work. Because then Nintendo will be still selling out by developing another system focused around motion controls and not actual gameplay =D

The DS's GBA compatibility on the other hand wasn't so hot. It was kinda fine with the original, what with it fitting in perfectly, but I still didn't like it. There was just something about the DS that didn't really work well with the games. I really didn't like having all this extra useless room on the console when playing GBA games. It was heavier, bulkier and everything else worse than my GBA. I'd prefer to play GBA games on my GBA than on my DS. Luckily I kept it and only use my GBA games in my DS for transferring Pokemon from gen III over to gen IV. The feature is useful for that purpose, but as its intent, it has some flaws it needs to work on. Nintendo realized this, obviously, with the removal of the GBA slot in the DSi's.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Well, I certainly like the feature, although it's not a requirement.

But I will say that after buying a new console, it usually takes me a few years to transition from mostly playing my old console, to using the new one. It's because I have so many games for the old one that I know I like already.

The Wii was different. It had ALL the SNES, NES, N64, and Gamecube games I wanted to play available on the system. So it became a favorite of mine right away.

I say that if they can keep the backwards compatibility without compromising the system's ability to move forward and create new games, then they should do it.

Otherwise... I'd like to see them make systems that are solely designed for backwards compatibility. For instance, if Nintendo's next console doesn't support older games like the Wii, they could just keep making the Wii solely for backwards compatibility.

I find backwards compatibility to be good and bad.
Good- If you trade in one console for another brand new spankity new one, you don't have to give up the chance to play some of your favorite games from the traded in console.
Bad- This can cause the console to become less powerful with it's own games, unless the company makes the console more powerful, which costs money and will cause the console to be more expensive.

K

KH avatar

Backward compatibility is very important, especially for the 3DS. I have a DS lite and Im planing on selling it to save up money for the 3DS and I dont want to get rid of my DS game unless I dont play them (I play the majority of my DS games), thankfully the 3DS will be backward compatible.:suspicious:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom