• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Important Are/Were Grades to You?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Our grades in school are a reflection of how well our intelligence pays off; however, you can still be incredibly smart but have bad grades due to sheer laziness. Overall, though, it boils down to this question: how important are/were grades to you in school? If they are/were important, does/did your hard work pay off? If they aren't/weren't, how come?

My response:
My grades are very important to me; however, I'm a very lazy person. Such a quality has came back to haunt me on numerous occasions, but I suppose I deserved it. I love getting good grades, but I feel that I need to start realizing that I won't get such grades unless I put forth effort.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Grades ain't ****. ;)

JK I love my grades, if they aren't As then I call myself a failure. Q_Q

Dan

Disclaimer: I'm sorry if there's been a post like this before, I used the search button but couldn't find any

Grades are super important to me, and they helped me become a professional disclaimsmen, a Job i'm very proud of, I see there are many people working as disclaimers on ZD as well. ;)

Grades are very important to me. To me, I don't really try that hard to get good grades which my parents actually want me to, but a lot of things come easy to me. So, I don't really have hard work to pay off for. XD

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Grades have always been extremely important to me, however my lazy demeanor has led to me slacking off on a few occasions, and my grades have suffered for it at times. However, I've always been able to pull myself together and maintain decent grades. I'd say at average, I'm a B student. And I'm proud of that. I may not be an A, but I'm better than a C. And that's that's something that I hold important, since I care about my education.

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
Grades weren't really important to me until high school. When high school hit, I had great grades (expect for my first E ever in biology...I was so terrified to come home that day, I didn't.) That being said, since I had study halls, I never did my homework at home; I was either on YouTube, on Sims3 or here while I was at home. On a scale with 10 being your life depends on grades, I'd have to say it would be a 7.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
When I was younger, grades were my way of measuring my worth. I was highly unpopular in school, constantly picked on, berated, beat up, you name it. So my grades were a way for me to still have a reason to keep my head high, because I did well in school. So I put my pride into my academic achievements.

Then came high school, where I majored in performing arts, specifically; drama. The environment there was very... well, I can't really describe it. We had a couple of girls there who saw themselves as the "best", the "leaders" of the class. They expected the rest of us to just follow their every whim - didn't exactly help that they also happened to be the drama teacher's pets, and they couldn't stop sucking up to him. Those two last years were what changed my opinion and dependance of grades. I mean, I still got pretty good grades, but it was under those girls and the drama teacher's reign, that they started meaning less and less to me personally.

In the beginning when we made specific performances, I felt part of it, I felt pride in what we did and the end result. I felt it made a statement and was a good performance altogether. Then as time passed, the "girls" sort of "took over" and decided to go with whatever was the strangest, most obscure type of performance (NOT because it had a specific meaning, but because the less the teacher understood our piece, the higher the grade he would award us). It got more and more meaningless to me personally, because we just threw together a bunch of stuff randomly, made the performance as weird as humanly possible and then made up a "deeper meaning" as a group. Quite frankly it was all bull... Some of our most meaningless performances were awarded top grades (some key words: chalk outline of clothes, tidying up on stage and washing the floor, while randomly spewing out poems, and the grand finale - dropping a piece of plastic between us and the audience... A+ indeed)

After that experience I just decided that the most important thing for me was to do something I could be proud of, regardless of what grade the teacher would award me.

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
Doing GCSEs, trying my best, doing well. I've always wanted to do well, and it's been quite good for me because I don't need to put in too much effort. Some people panic like Hell and I'm just like... 'Why?'

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Grades were not that important to me, nor to my parents. I only went to school because I had to, otherwise I wouldn't have even attended it. I learned a lot of what I know just by living my life out, not because of school.

Violet Link

takumi was a mistake and so are the S supports
Grades are seriously important to me, however, I'm not very intelligent. When I get a bad grade, I'll always get hit or get scold by either of my parents and they'll always ask me to raise up my grade. I've been trying to maintaining my grades now and thankfully, it worked. In average, I'm technically an A- student. But honestly, I feel jealous on seeing some parents being happy on their kids getting 75, 78..

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Grades are seriously important to me, however, I'm not very intelligent. When I get a bad grade, I'll always get hit or get scold by either of my parents and they'll always ask me to raise up my grade. I've been trying to maintaining my grades now and thankfully, it worked. In average, I'm technically an A- student. But honestly, I feel jealous on seeing some parents being happy on their kids getting 75, 78..

Speaking as someone whose parents didn't really differanciate between their reactions to the grades I got, it's not all that great. I mean, I understand their reasoning, that they wanted me to be motivated on my own accord and not because I was chasing a reward from them, so they had good intentions. However, it didn't feel all that much well to get the very same reaction to a 6 (A) as I got to a 4 (C). It made it feel a bit pointless to pull a top grade, because it was just another "oh, great, honey" type moment once I brought it home...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
because it was just another "oh, great, honey" type moment once I brought it home...

This is how it is for me, except...

With my mom, she actually cares (maybe too much) but it's the same reaction of "good job!!".
My dad tells me "oh you got a 99? why didn't your ******* get a 100?" and he just yells and blah blah blah.

So I keep my grades private to my parents and I just do my own thing. I DO push myself to hit top grades but it still...kind of feels like an empty race.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I've very rarely met an adult that wishes they had worked less hard in school.

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
my grades were extremely important to me, not to prove my intelligence level though.. though it was because i wanted to make sure that my grades were good enough to go to college lol. though I ended up not going anyways! lol! though school is still a possibility for me. even now if I were to go to school again my grades would be extremely important again lol. all because I want to prove to my self that I could do it lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom