• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Do You Feel About Tutorials/walkthroughs?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
In the general sense. How do you feel about tuts and wlkthrghs? I know there are many opposing views on this subject. Some feel that they are too limiting. Others feel they're just the right thing. And others still are just indifferent on the matter.

I personally am a full supporter of tutorials and walkthroughs. Of course, they keep you to a beaten path, restraining your ability to think outside the box much, but they are really just there for the people who are absolutely brain dead and KNOW that experimenting will lead them nowhere (cough, me, cough). I would much prefer a world where tutorials, or in other words, people are there to help you out rather than a world where people must fend for themselves. And luckily for me, tutorials exist!

Dan

I honestly didn't know there was much hate for tutorials/Walkthroughs. I honestly find them helpful and a great way to move forward in some subjects. I try not to use walkthoughs myself in MOST games, but if I get stuck or want to find hidden items etc I will use a walkthrough. I sometimes watch game walkthroughs just to see others play for either nostalgia or general interest in what the game is like. I don't mind someone talking in these walkthroughs either as long as they aren't annoying.

Going into tutorials for such programs like photoshop, or just trying to learn more on programming and such I too find these helpful. Although for programs I prefer written tutorials with cute pictures ! Sometimes I will use a video tutorials. I don't think there's anything wrong with tutorials or walkthroughs, they are just another way of help, and there's nothing wrong with getting a little help to move you to your final goal a little faster.

Walkthroughs and tutorials are fine, no one forces you to use them and sometimes video game logic can be really obscure. I'm also a sucky gamer so i benefit from walkthroughs quite a bit, though i do really only use them if im stupidly stuck or want a game to be over as fast as possible. For example Metroid Prime Echoes, the game bores and depresses me, its fun to play but it looks so drab and the dark realms are annoying and as always its a maze and i dont want to get lost so im using a walkthrough for every single bit in order for it to be over quickly with minimum hassle. I would have used a walkthrough on SS too but didn't need one...

What i do hate are video walkthroughs with commentaries, especially if its a crap gamer who keeps dying and getting gamer rage to boot. So written walkthroughs and tutorials are best.

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I love tutorials and walkthroughs. Especially if the walkthroughs contain good gameplay with little to no mistakes while explaining everything to the fullest in both walkthrough form and guide form.

Personally without them I'd probably still be stuck at the Water Temple in OoT or stuck at some point in a final fantasy game. I personally like video walkthroughs more than the written guides. This is mostly because I like to actually see where I need to be and written guides just can't explain it clearly enough of what it's supposed to look like. Either way I do support tutorials and walkthroughs, I don't see why anyone wouldn't. :P

I like walkthroughs/ strategy guides for collection purposes and minimal use. I generally like playing through games the first time on my own. However, I LOVE collecting Zelda guides, especially collectors editions and others. I have many, I try not to use them unless I absolutely have to or I have already beaten the game once. Sometimes I just have to use them because many are just so well made.. You can not avoid looking through some of the beautiful pages of the collector edition Zelda guides.

Joy

The Sexy One
In the beggining of the game I'm more of a learn-as-you-go type. I'm not that fond of tutorials except if they sort of pop up at the bottom discreetly. I don't lile the big step by step things which go "walk a step! Perfect!" but I don't mind because you can usually skip them.

Walkthroughs are technically cheating but thank god they're there! I don't feel guilty about using them or proud about not ising them. I actually really like them!

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I don't use walkthroughs or guides because it personally wreaks the game for me. I like to figure things out for myself. However, there's nothing wrong with using them, especially if you're in dire need of help. I also do not get why walkthroughs receive hate, it is your choice whether you want to use them or not. As Ouroboros pointed out, I love them for collecting purposes, I mean c'mon, who could resist those glossy pages!

Skunk

Floof
I think it's fine to use walkthroughs if the game does not have difficulty settings, if it does, then I say do beginner(ANYWAYS). It is perfectly acceptable in my opinion to use a walkthrough for any game, whether or not you need help. As for tutorials, in-game I see as acceptable if they're not long and drawn out, but other wise not really acceptable.

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
Tutorial to me are needed for newbies or your first playthrough of a game. You won't need it for anything else & its annoying to have if your trying to replay the game.

Walkthroughs are helpful when you need them, but they can also be entertaining when they are LP's. I even read/watch walkthroughs in my spare time cuz there fun to watch.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Tutorials are really helpful. When it comes to games I wish you could skip them in most cases because after one GP you mostly memorize it. When it comes to graphics or whatever I think they are great. And by this I don;t mean the tools themselves but like creating photomanipulations and stuff. There are some very handy tricks in it.

Walkthroughs never bother me that much. I think they can be very helpful. They can be a great help when you're really stuck. I also love to see it on youtube. Most of the times not because of the walkthrough but because of the funny comments. I liked to watch Chuggaconroy playing Super Paper Mario or Luigi Galaxy.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
Tutorials are really helpful once you get the hang of it. Can help in any situation. However, if using the same method can boring and repetitive if only know this. Some of us can really tweak the tuts if tired of the same one. The tutorials are still helpful though.

Walkthroughs are superb helpful if stuck or need a new lead into your quest. Walkthroughs are big help to me when I need help or I get stuck when there's nobody to ask help for. Nothing can be completed with a bit of help of Walkthroughs. They can cone in handy.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
I don't like walk throughs at all for games. They take away my sense of accomplishment. I haven't finished Final Fantasy 3 because I refuse to look up a walk through.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Walkthroughs and tutorials are wonderful. They're a great source of help for people who are hopelessly stuck. Of course, I din't think they should be abused. What's the fun in using a walkthrough for the entire game? Personally, I will only use a walkthrough as a last resort.

pit0010

GAME IT LIFE IS TO SHORT
Tutorials and walkthroughs are not bad.
Sometimes when you have trouble figuring out how to do this action or something...well explained tutorials come in handy

and of course...walkthroughs...can help you when every yah stuck in a game. But it's slightly cheating in a way. I don't really like that. But if i really cant do it and is sooo frustrated.... i whip out my laptop and type away XD

Majoras_Wrath

Home Grown Hero!
Well when I was younger I would use them to take me through the whole thing. Now I would rather just go through the game myself as it is more gratifying. I still use a walkthrough but only if I have a really hard time locating a special item or just wanting to know where I can find something useful. Such as when I play pokemon, I'd rather just look up where to find an item useful for training rather than go all over looking for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom