• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How did Ganon get sealed in Lorule?

How did he get sealed in Hyrule, though? Last we saw him, his lifeless corpse laid in the Room of Rites. Maybe the Oracles and Zelda brought him back to Hyrule so the Seven Sages could seal him?

The backstory of ALBW isn't talking about ALttP or the Oracles. In ALttP, Ganon is defeated by the hero and KILLED, not sealed, and there are seven MAIDENS, not sages(the maidens don't have the same amount of power; IIRC, that's the explanation ALttP gives), and the maidens in ALttP include Zelda and the sages in the backstory of ALBW do not. And the maidens don't seal Ganon, or get involved in the final battle AT ALL. It's just one on one between Link and Ganon, with Ganon dying(not being sealed) and finally, the Triforce remains together at the end of ALttP, but divides again in the backstory of ALBW, with Ganon getting power once again(since when do dead people hold Triforce pieces? Ganon lost his in both TP and Zelda 1 when he died in those games with the Triforce of Power still within him until he died). Oracles has Ganon being revived, and defeated and killed again without any sages or sage equivalents. This doesn't work either, as Ganon is killed again(not sealed, like in the ALBW backstory). ALBW's BS has: seven sages(not maidens like in ALttP) that do not include Princess Zelda(unlike the ALttP maidens), Ganon being sealed with the Triforce of Power(again, dead people do not hold on to Triforce pieces), and the sages were involved in the sealing(wheras the ALttP maidens weren't involved in his death in ALttP). The conflict between the hero and Ganon mentioned in the backstory has to take place sometime after the Oracles.

As for how Ganon returned in the backstory of ALBW: We know that demons will eventually revive by themselves through their malice thanks to games like SS and BotW. This also explains his return in Zelda 1.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
How did he get sealed in Hyrule, though? Last we saw him, his lifeless corpse laid in the Room of Rites. Maybe the Oracles and Zelda brought him back to Hyrule so the Seven Sages could seal him?
You mean that dark realm? That's the weird thing about it all, but there is an easy solution. Each time Ganon is killed his essence automatically moves to this dark realm, which is just a sort of afterlife for demons I guess. It's a very permanent seal, which is why he cannot break out if it by himself like he has managed to do with other seals. He can be revived if certain rituals are performed.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
As for how Ganon returned in the backstory of ALBW: We know that demons will eventually revive by themselves through their malice thanks to games like SS and BotW. This also explains his return in Zelda 1.
I'm not sure about this. Demise was never killed until he was sealed inside the Master Sword and eroded away within it. Demise is never coming back.

I feel like we don't have the full story of what happened to make Ganondorf go from Ganon to Calamity Ganon. Maybe BotW 2 will shed some light on this though. As of right now I feel like it might not be as simple as he just automatically revived enough times to finally split off from his body.

You do got me at a loss on Zelda 1. There is nothing suggesting he was revived by anyone. However, it was the first game before all the plot details of the series got fleshed out. We can probably just assume he was revived again inbetween TFH and Zelda 1.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
All Yuga needed to revive Ganon were the 7 sages from Hyrule including Zelda as she's the 7th Sage. He discovered Hyrule, told Hilda about the triforce and convinced her to kidnap the sages so the triforce could be theirs. Of course he kept the real reason a secret. And if the 7 sages from Hyrule were all he needed it didn't matter where Ganon could be revived. It could've been anywhere as long as the 7 sages were there too. What's more easier than turning them into paintings? I can't blame him. Way easier to carry :D
I personally think Yuga studied a bit too much into the history of Hyrule once he found out about it and became obsessed and corrupted by the powers of Ganon. But we never know for sure

I'm not sure about this. Demise was never killed until he was sealed inside the Master Sword and eroded away within it. Demise is never coming back.

''This horrifying Bokoblin reanimates after death. Analysis indicates it fears pure, shiny items and will startle at the sight of a sacred shield.

It is able to reanimate purely through its hatred of this world...and its attachment to outlandish underpants.''

Demise was eradicated by the Triforce(like Ganon in TWW), so he's an exception.

I feel like we don't have the full story of what happened to make Ganondorf go from Ganon to Calamity Ganon. Maybe BotW 2 will shed some light on this though. As of right now I feel like it might not be as simple as he just automatically revived enough times to finally split off from his body.

MW/CaC pretty much says that countless sealings and revivals made him become CG, as well as his hatred towards the hero and princess:

''According to the fairy tale, Calamity Ganon was once, originally, a Gerudo. This man named Ganondorf was once their leader, but he became the demon king and tried to take Hyrule for himself! However, his ambitions were crushed by a hero who carried the blade of evil’s bane. Although he transformed into the demonic beast Ganon through his runaway power, he was sealed away by the princess and the sages. Through his resentment towards the hero and the princess, and after countless revivals and sealings, the demon king Ganon transformed into Malice and has haunted Hyrule itself!''

You do got me at a loss on Zelda 1. There is nothing suggesting he was revived by anyone. However, it was the first game before all the plot details of the series got fleshed out. We can probably just assume he was revived again inbetween TFH and Zelda 1.

I mean, he had to come back to life somehow. You can always say that there was a revival ritual offscreen if you don't like what I proposed, I guess. Bottom line is that there's a revival before ALBW and another before Zelda 1, though.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
''This horrifying Bokoblin reanimates after death. Analysis indicates it fears pure, shiny items and will startle at the sight of a sacred shield.

It is able to reanimate purely through its hatred of this world...
This is just referring to the Zombie Bokoblins, they are pretty mindless, and intent on attacking anything near.

They say he is mindless, but he still has basic plans, indicating his mind isn't completely gone. But I see your point, further into the DT his plans lose complexity.

''Mindless'' doesn't seem to mean literal mindlessness when it comes to the franchise. In the Oracles games, he's said to be mindless, but he has self awareness of who he is(I am Ganon...the Evil King...). Considering his speech when he's first awoken in the Oracles(Kill...all...DESTROY ALL!!!), it seems like ''mindlessness'' is more akin to insanity in regards to DT Ganon.

If I remember correctly, in all of the downfall games, after A link to the past, Ganon is resurrected (or at least there is an attempt), meaning that the guy is dead. It's more like summoning a spirit, or creating the un-dead, as apposed to breaking a seal. We need to look at the other two timelines to see what happens when Ganon's seal is broken.

They really need to make the intermediate game where Ganon obtains and is sealed with the Triforce of Power.
Don't you think that's technically the ending of OoT? At the end of OoT Ganondorf is sealed. Although it's ambiguous as to which timeline this is, it can't be the AT because we see Link sleigh Ganon moments before. It can't be the Child timeline because he is executed in HH and sealed in the twilight realm in ZE. So we have to assume that it's DT Ganondorf that gets sealed.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, in all of the downfall games, after A link to the past, Ganon is resurrected (or at least there is an attempt), meaning that the guy is dead. It's more like summoning a spirit, or creating the un-dead, as apposed to breaking a seal. We need to look at the other two timelines to see what happens when Ganon's seal is broken.

The history of Ganon in the franchise is:

AT:

OoT-Ganon is born to the Gerudo. He breaks into the SR, takes the ToP, and rules Hyrule for seven years. He's defeated by the Hero of Time and the Awakened Sages seal him along with the ToP in the Dark World.

TWWBS: Ganon breaks free from his imprisonment, and due to the fact that the Spirit of the Hero no longer exists in the AT, Hyrule is unable to oppose him, leading to the flooding of Hyrule by the goddesses to seal him.

TWW: The seal of the gods fail, and Ganon is able to escape to the Great Sea through a portal in his tower. He becomes the master of the abandoned Forsaken Fortress, and starts deploying the Helmaroc King to kidnap pointy eared girls and bring them to him. At the end, he is completely eradicated due to Daphnes wishing for his demise, with the Hero of Winds fulfilling the wish.

CT:

OoT-Ganon is born to the Gerudo. The Hero of Time uses his knowledge of Ganon's actions to warn the Royal Family. Ganon is captured and sentenced to death.

TPBS: Ganon's execution fails, and he is sealed in the Twilight Realm instead of being killed.

TP: Ganon returns to Hyrule through Zant. He tries to blot out the light forever, but is killed by the Hero Chosen by the Gods.

FSA: New Ganon(only game in the series to have a different Ganon; even BotW Ganon is described as the same man who did battle with Ruto and Nabooru). He is the Guardian(not a king or leader) of the Desert, but is hated by his tribe due to him flouting the law. He becomes the Demon King of Darkness, and is sealed in the FS.

DT:

OoT-Ganon is born to the Gerudo. He breaks into the SR, takes the ToP, and rules Hyrule for seven years. The Hero of Time is bested by him in combat, and he receives the ToW and ToC. The Awakened Sages seal Ganon and the complete Triforce in the Dark World.

ALttPBS: The seal on the DW starts to weaken, and Ganon's malice and demonic army start to leak out. The Knights of Hyrule protect the Seven Wise Men while they cast their seal on the DW, keeping Ganon and his remaining demons sealed.

ALttP: Ganon splits his soul so he can exist in the Light World, and assumes the guise of the priest, Agahnim. He sacrifices the descendants of the Wise Men to break his own seal so he can fully return to Hyrule, but is killed by Link before he can leave.

Oracles: Is revived as an insane, primal beast, and is almost immediately killed again.

ALBWBS: Is revived, obtains the Triforce of Power again, and is defeated and sealed away ''in darkness'' thanks to the hero and sages of this period.

ALBW: Yuga releases Ganon from his seal. He dies again.

Zelda 1: Ganon is revived again, takes the Triforce of Power again, and is killed again.

BotWBS*: Ganon is eventually revived so many times that this fact along with his hatred for the hero and Royal Family makes him become Calamity Ganon, allowing him to completely separate his soul from his body, allowing him to lay waste to Hyrule without a physical body.

BotW*: Ganon returns, and is ultimately defeated and sent back to his body(like Agahnim in ALttP, and as we see in the BotW2 trailers).

*Most likely on the DT, hence why I included it there.

As we can see, whenever Ganon is sealed, there's an explanation for his his seal breaking, but that isn't the case always when talking about his deaths. We know he CAN be ressurected(that was established as early as Zelda 2), and It's explained how he comes back in some games like the Oracles, but we don't know how comes back to life prior to ALBW and Zelda 1, for example. All we can do is theorize, like SMS and I were doing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom