• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Can Ganondorf Be the Main Villain of Skyward Sword?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Donkey Kong
Bowser
Wart
Smithy
King Boo
Shadow Queen
Dimentio
Cackletta
Princess Shroob
Fawful.

vs

Ganon
Dark Link (working for Ganon)
Agahnim (but really Ganon)
The Nightmare in its various forms (among them a dead ringer for Ganon)
Ganondorf (turns into Ganon)
Majora
Onox and Veran (and then Ganon)
Vaati
Vaati (and then Ganon)
Zant (and then Ganon)
Bellum
Malladus

How many of those guys appeared in Mario's big block buster titles as main villains? Let's see...

Super Mario Bros-Bowser
Super Mario Bros 2-not sure never cared to play it.
Super Mario Bros 3-Bowser
Super Mario World-Bowser
Super Mario 64-Bowser
Super Mario Sunshine-Bowser
New Super Mario Bros-Bowser
Super Mario Galaxy-Bowser
New Super Mario Bros Wii-Bowser
Super Mario Galaxy 2-Bowser
Super Mario 3DS-hmm, I wonder if King Boo is returning as the main villain of the series. Oh wait Bowser is and is very very very likely to be in this one.

Let's put it this way. When ever someone thinks of Super Mario they know that Bowser is his main arch nemesis. Same thing with the Legend of Zelda. We are finally getting a Wii Zelda title for the first time that is said to be a really big game and Nintendo is going to say "screw Ganon"? He's only been absent 5 years now. People claim that He can't be in it because his "Origin" was in Ocarina of Time. Who says Ganondorf is the same guy? They're always different Links, why not different Ganons? Pig form any form. This game can't be perfect in my eyes if I know Ganon is going to be gone another 3-6 years. Who knows when the Next Zelda will come anyway? Just like Bowser. They can't just announce a huge important Mario game and try to create a new villain to replace Bowser. Bowser is already established and very popular just as Ganon/dorf is. If this game is truly the first in the series "timeline wise" then why not make Ganondorf the villain we all know and love be the start of evil so that way we know how far back the Link vs Ganon/dorf thing goes.

Link vs Ganon forever!

EDIT: It's not that I don't want to see a new villain but when Ganon's been gone this long I just want to see him return. I could understand if they were releasing them every 2 years but we just know that's not happening unless they give us new handheld titles a year or two after the big console title has been released. But we could get big quality Zelda games without our Ganon with the 3DS now. So only time will tell.

Last edited:

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I wouldn't mind if Ganon/dorf showed up. I think he's interesting, and would enjoy beating him again! If he didn't show up and there was another villian (eg, character from the trailer) I would be fine with that too, and would also like to defeat him/her/it.
While it would be nice to see another villian on a console system, Ganon is the main bad guy of the series, and so I think it would still be nice to see him. now, in TP, he being was a little forced, so I hope that's not the case if he does show up here. Other than that, I'm fine with whatever happens.

I don't think that even if they did find a cool way to get him to be part of Skyward Sword that it would be a wise move, especially since there seemed to have been a huge backlash when everyone found out that Ganondorf was included in Twilight Princess...however, since that's not quite on topic I'll move on.

I'll agree with something along the lines of what Michael Heide said. The only way that I can really see Ganondorf appearing in Skyward Sword is if he uses some form of time travel. I guess that he would have worked out when Link first came into existence (well, currently in the series) and travelled back to that time with a plan to kill him before he could cause him any more problems in the future (and if Skyward Sword is about the Master Swords creation in anyway, then he would be able to stop one of the only weapons to be able to kill him).

Although, there is a possibility that he was always there since the creation of Hyrule, as in Twilight Princess we see that he appears in front of Zant like as a spirit like form. I'll highly doubt this theory though, it would seem to poorly put together for a team such as the Zelda team at Nintendo.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
How many of those guys appeared in Mario's big block buster titles as main villains?
This depends highly on your own definition of "big block buster title", making it impossible to have an objective answer. However, I would say that the original Donkey Kong (DK), Super Mario Bros. 2 (Wart) and The Super Mario RPG/Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi games all were big block buster titles.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
Well, first of all, we need to know which side of the timeline Skyward Sword takes place on.

If it's on the adult side, Ganon is about 8 million leagues under the sea. So unless some malicious Zora randomly hops timelines and swims down there and yanks out the Master Sword, there's no way that he would be in Skyward Sword. Then again, they are heading towards an industrial revolution on that side. So maybe submarine travelers would find him, and Old Hyrule would be their Atlantis.

Now on the other hand, if it takes place on the child side, my theory is that Ganon didn't die at the end of Twilight Princess. He used the little power he had left from the Triforce of Power to leave the dying body of Ganondorf. So sure, Ganondorf is dead, but the demon spirit known as Ganon is still lingering around, getting stronger, searching for an appropriate host to withstand his unimaginable amount of power, et cetera.
Then again, technically speaking, he's kinda dead, so a new Gerudo king could be born, and that would be his chance, à la FSA.
Then there's the aforementioned finding a temporary host, à la Voldemort in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, and there would be a plot twist of some sort... like him needing the blood of a Knight of Hyrule, of which Link a descendent of, to be fully resurrected. This would also give Adventure of Link a little nod. Alas, this is Nintendo we're talking about here. That's too mature of a plot point for them. :|

Anyway, he'll be back. We don't know when, and we don't know how, but he'll be back.

Last edited:

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
This depends highly on your own definition of "big block buster title", making it impossible to have an objective answer. However, I would say that the original Donkey Kong (DK), Super Mario Bros. 2 (Wart) and The Super Mario RPG/Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi games all were big block buster titles.

Mario is a platformer. That's what he is known for. So the RPG games don't really matter IMO.

well first i'd like to say i believe Ganon and Ganondorf are two separate beings that are sometimes merged together. with that said i'll state my theory. i think that the "dark interlopers" will be main villains here. but i think the term " dark interloper" means any one who does dark magic. not a race of their own but a group of people from different races. so i think Ganon (not Ganondorf) will be the main villain. and i think vaati will be the sub-villian. i think in the end we will see Ganondorf being born. since this is a prequel it would makes sense for them to set up all the games that follow it. like when you read a book series. the first one sets everything up. yes the stories change from book to book but the main characters and main themes of the story stay the same.

startimer

Resident Cartographer
I don't wanna see Ganny be the villian again... but if he was in there as an NPC or something I wouldn't mind.

And as far as the Bowser debate goes... C'MON! That's not a fair comparison. Mario games are built around "fun", and Miyamoto has said that a simple story makes a game more enjoyable. Mario can get away with a simple "EVIL TURTLE STOLED OUR PRINZESS" story every time.
Zelda, however, is more story-based, and people take it more seriously. While some people refuse to accept it, this is an grand, overarching storyline that ties all the games together. Nintendo can't implement something just to please the fans if it messes with the storyline.

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
Would I like to see a SS Ganondorf design? Yes! Do I believe he will be in the game? No! Mainly because his origins were explain in Ocarina of Time. Unless they retcon that then there is no reason why he should be in the game. I hope he doesnt "hijack" the game as it would be cool but very lame at the same time, seeing what happened to Zant. They built him up SOOO well in TP and then was just cast aside as a pathetic and weak character for Ganondorf to step in. We need a break for Ganon in my opinion. There needs to be room for another villain to be developed. Like that pale dude in the trailer....Maybe hes the main villain or maybe he plays a role like Shiek did in OoT, I dont know, but he (or she?) looks interesting...I would like to see a 3D Vaati tho, thatd be pretty cool...We need a villain who totally revolves around the origins of the Skyward/Master Sword that will setup the statement that no one with an evil heart can touch it....Only one thing bothers me however...Think, ALMOST every game that has the Master Sword has Ganondorf...could SS be the first without the two opposites? It seems as if no other sword can destroy Ganon (Four Sword Adventures is different), so thats why im kinda worried that they'll throw Ganondorf in at the last second again OR he'll just be the main villain....again....I love the guy, but I wanna see new characters....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom