• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Hero Mode is the REAL Way to Play This Game

I played it through twice on regular mode first, dying I think two times (carelessly) the first run and never the second run. The puzzles made for some fun challenges, and the combat was fun too but nothing very difficult.

I'm playing through it now on hero mode, and wow I'm enjoying the game more. Up maybe two spots for my favorite zelda games. Combat is now a wonderful challenge (2 hits kills you at the start!). You have to be much more strategic and careful with it. Managing fairies and potions is now crucial. Bottles, blue mail, heart containers now really mean something. I'm about halfway through Lorule at this point, and I've died probably close to a dozen times so far, but that just makes it all the more satisfying when you make it through. A couple boss fights I've finished by the skin of my teeth (just a couple hearts left).

Wow, I'm glad they included hero mode. The best way to play it!

Japas

Indigo-Go's Bassist
I died a lot in the regular mode because I'm careless and wouldn't go get hearts when I was low. But I don't agree with the title of this post, only because everyone plays games at a different level. I'm so excited to go through ALBW again on hero mode because after playing through the first one I know it'll be challenge for me. That's my favorite thing about the newer games, having modes to pick from. Because with modes it allows people of different levels to enjoy the game all the same.

I wish they would have included Hero Mode from the start of the game. It would make playing through the story even more fun than it was.

I died a lot in the regular mode because I'm careless and wouldn't go get hearts when I was low. But I don't agree with the title of this post, only because everyone plays games at a different level. I'm so excited to go through ALBW again on hero mode because after playing through the first one I know it'll be challenge for me. That's my favorite thing about the newer games, having modes to pick from. Because with modes it allows people of different levels to enjoy the game all the same.

Fair point. I guess it should be that I didn't feel I had really played the game until I had the combat challenge of hero mode.

Good luck when you give it a go! One suggestion: try to get yourself up to 5 heart containers as soon as you can. 3 hits until you die is a lot better than 2 hits until you die. :)

I wish they would have included Hero Mode from the start of the game. It would make playing through the story even more fun than it was.

I'm glad I played through it in regular mode first to get a general handle on things, but, yeah, too bad they didn't give people the option if they wanted.

Last edited:

Japas

Indigo-Go's Bassist
Fair point. I guess it should be that I didn't feel I had really played the game until I had the combat challenge of hero mode.

Good luck when you give it a go! One suggestion: try to get yourself up to 5 heart containers as soon as you can. 3 hits until you die is a lot better than 2 hits until you die. :)
Regular mode is great for one to get the feel of the game, which I guess that's why they have hero mode locked. But I do wish it were an option from the start.

Skunk

Floof
The real way to play the game is by playing it. If you just looked at the cover you would be playing it wrong.

ILU

i luv u
I agree that Hero mode is the "real" (best) way to play the game. IMO, it's what the game should've been on normal mode. I wish it was an option from the start.... I get that regular mode is a good intro mode, but for those of us who are familiar with Zelda and especially ALttP, it was just to easy to run through the game without a challenge. I do like ALBW, but I would've enjoyed it a lot more if I had played Hero mode from the start.

The Omni Triforcer

Hero Of Time And Space
I played it through twice on regular mode first, dying I think two times (carelessly) the first run and never the second run. The puzzles made for some fun challenges, and the combat was fun too but nothing very difficult.

I'm playing through it now on hero mode, and wow I'm enjoying the game more. Up maybe two spots for my favorite zelda games. Combat is now a wonderful challenge (2 hits kills you at the start!). You have to be much more strategic and careful with it. Managing fairies and potions is now crucial. Bottles, blue mail, heart containers now really mean something. I'm about halfway through Lorule at this point, and I've died probably close to a dozen times so far, but that just makes it all the more satisfying when you make it through. A couple boss fights I've finished by the skin of my teeth (just a couple hearts left).

Wow, I'm glad they included hero mode. The best way to play it!
you want a real challenge try beating hero mode with the green tunic i did it and i only died 4 times

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Well I never got around to playing Hero Mode, but I didn't think there was anything wrong with the regular. Yeah, it wasn't the hardest thing in the world, but nothing is these days, and I thought it was at least pleasantly harder than Skyward Sword. Maybe I'll get around to Hero Mode someday, but I don't find it likely, considering I usually don't replay games until there's been a year of two since the last time I did.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
While I completely agree that hero mode makes the game a lot more challenging and intense (I never died during regular mode), I believe both ways of playing the game are the right way of playing it.

Personally I'm not too interested in an overwhelming difficulty. Sure it has to be challenging, but that doesn't mean I have to die every 10 minutes like in Zelda 2. ALBW still had a few head scratching puzzles which I always love. The combat felt very fluid and fun, and you could still easily die if you were too careless

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom