• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Gerudo Valley: Water, Wisdom

Skunk

Floof
When one hears Gerudo Valley, a large desert comes to mind. But Gerudo Valley may not actually be as one may think, nor may it represent what one thinks. The proof of this comes from two huge source in the Gerudo Region:
105screenshot00.jpg
and
Gerudo_Valley.jpg

Wisdom
I see the river and Desert Colossus statue to be proof that the Gerudo Valley does not represent power, nor the desert. In West Africa, medicine men would copy the movements of snakes before trying to prophecy, trying to obtain a wisdom beyond their own. The snake represented wisdom and knowledge in many cultures, not just the West African one. For another example, the Biblical story of the Fall of Adam and Eve shows the snake as a cunning, beautiful beast. This beast tricks Eve into eating the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, giving her(and eventually Adam) knowledge to distinguish between Good and Evil. Later in the Bible the apostles John and Paul identify the serpent as Satan in disguise, but nonetheless this snake to did give a knowledge to humanity, even if it was forbidden. What does this have to do with Gerudo Valley? Well, around the Desert Colossus statue is a snake. And on one hand of the Colossus statue, the left, is a Triforce.This could represent the Triforce of Wisdom, and the snake could represent wisdom as well.

Water
Here again I will refer to ancient mythology about snakes. Early Indian myth states the oceans were all made of the large coiled snake Ahi/Vrita. Other cultures talk of huge snake-like monsters residing in the Earth's waters(the Leviathan and Scylla for example). In African and Australian legend, the giant Rainbow Snake, who created rivers and oceans. Snakes also represent fertility in many ancient cultures. This being said, the snake in Desert Colossus could represent water, as there is a huge river in the Valley, a lake next to the Valley, and several fertile oases outside the Spirit Temple.

I hold a view opposed to the one in the opening post. I find the allusion to Satan from the Garden of Eden very interesting, however, I'd spin the connection the other way. The snake didn't so much provide Adam and Eve with forbidden knowledge as they knew not to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil as prod the two forward into the realm of graft and corruption.

The Gerudos are ruthless thieves. In Ocarina of Time they sustain themselves by ransacking their neighbors. Who is the figurehead in the region while Ganondorf is away in his dismal castle? The witches Twinrova of course. These vile witches control the other females of the region to do Ganon's bidding. They are deceptive snakes themselves and it's therefore highly fitting that the Desert Colossus posted in the OP above is located in their lair, the Spirit Temple.

A similar snake lady statue is also visible in the Arbiter's Grounds. Whether of not there is a connection between the location and OoT's Spirit Temple aside, the Arbiter's Grounds is utilized as a place of judgment and execution. Originally serving as the altar from which the Sages intended to kill Ganondorf, the area is transformed into a ghoul house creeping with undead foes. The vile forces controlling Geruod Desert lead everything in the region towards a path of decay.

Skunk

Floof
While I do agree with what you're saying, the Gerudo women would be mindless slaves if the Twinrova controlled them, they would neither be ruthless nor thieves, they would be slaves. I do agree with your statement about Eden partially, but still Adam and Eve probably would've just stayed away from the Tree all together(this really is another topic isn't it :P). And though the snake lead them to darkness(which sucks) this further brings my point forth that the statue could reference Eve with the snake. And since the lair of Twinrova is in the head of the statue, that could reference the darkness put into Eve's head when she ate of the tree.

While I do agree with what you're saying, the Gerudo women would be mindless slaves if the Twinrova controlled them, they would neither be ruthless nor thieves, they would be slaves. I do agree with your statement about Eden partially, but still Adam and Eve probably would've just stayed away from the Tree all together(this really is another topic isn't it :P). And though the snake lead them to darkness(which sucks) this further brings my point forth that the statue could reference Eve with the snake. And since the lair of Twinrova is in the head of the statue, that could reference the darkness put into Eve's head when she ate of the tree.

The Gerudo women act in accordance with their own will in creating a military government with a heavily armed malicious fortress at its center. While I do recognize the two realms to be distinct, in the parallel world of Termina where the witches Twinrova-Koume and Kotake-are no more than a boat rower and item shop owner, the Gerudo women continue to cause harm but as pirates rather than bandits.

I'd equate the snakes present in the Spirit Temple more to Egyptian culture and mythology than its West African counterpart. Take the cobra goddess, Meretseger, for example. She punished the wrongdoers and rewarded the just. This logically follows since the Spirit Temple formerly served as Nabooru's base, a woman with strong moral convictions, an outlier from her own corrupt society. Cobras were also seen as a relief from the pain of life.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Take the cobra goddess, Meretseger, for example. She punished the wrongdoers and rewarded the just. This logically follows since the Spirit Temple formerly served as Nabooru's base, a woman with strong moral convictions, an outlier from her own corrupt society.

It also fits in with the snakes in the Arbiter's Grounds, a place where wrongdoers were given their punishment.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I agree with Derpy not only because of what he says, but also because Lanayru Desert, which may be part of the future Gerudo Desert, was in essence the realm of Nayru, with the Blue Sacred Flame and such.

I think ALIT is right, the Spirit Temple especially is more Egyptian than anything else. Anubis is one of the enemies in there for instance. Nintendo would have used Egyptian myth and lore in an Egyptian Temple after all. I always thought the Gerudo in OoT looked very arabic. I believe Ancient and modern Egyptians are ethnically very similar to Arabians. I could be wrong though.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
The Gerudo Desert has always been one of the most fascinating regions of Hyrule. It is a frontier. It's borders undefined. What lands lay beyond the impenetrable sands of that harrowing region? Deserts are places of mystery that bear promises of hidden wonders, fantastic revelations and untold riches.

I've often entertained the notion that the Gerudo Desert may have once been a place of lush rivers and vibrant vegetation similar to that of Eden. Though hardly concrete, I look to the oasis at the Colossus as evidence. Is that all that remains of what life may have once existed in that vast region on the Hyrulian outlands?

Whether intentional or not, Zelda games have often used symbolism to provide hints of vague meaning. So vague that fans often let their imaginations run wild with theories and interpretations. Yet another reason I find the series so appealing.

Snake symbolism runs rampant in the desert themed areas of Hyrule, as do Egyptian and Islamic symbolism. It would not be too difficult to draw parallels to the mythology and stories of our world.

I very well agree Saton is the snake around the Desert Collosus. I've read a manga about Saton's son and all, so Japan know he exsist (BTW the manga is Blue Exorcist). As for Gerud Desert representing wisdom, well, I'm torn. Everyone who's played Skyward Sword know Lanayru Desert represents wisdom, and it becomes Gerudo Desert later (right?). But then again, Gerudo Desert is the birthplace of Ganondorf who possesses the Triforce of Power. And Gerudos are theives, giving them lots of power. And as for the water, I totally agree. If Lanayru Desert did become Gerudo Desert, we have a couple things to refer to. The Great Lanayru Sand Sea was once filled with water before the Demon King Demise arrived.... Perhaps when Zelda and Link became the rulers of Hyrule, they were able to restore the water? And if Gerudo Desert does represent wisdom, all us Zelda players know wisdom itself represents water. Refrences like Zoras and Jabu-Jabu and Jabun. So your theory might be totally right, Derpy Mage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom