• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

GenGAME: The Adventure of Link Convinced Me That Zelda is an RPG

Hi everyone! I'm Alex, Editor-in-Chief at GenGAME.net, a new Dungeon Gaming Network site that's focused on general gaming (specifically Nintendo and Wii U this year, as it's the beginning of a new "gen"). You may remember me from my five years writing for Zelda Informer. I'll be bringing the same level of news-posting madness and the same wide range of critical opinions on everything gaming - including Zelda. (You also may have noticed our new section on the forums! Check us out!)

Today I've written a piece about Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and I thought it might interest you Zelda forum-goers. You can read an excerpt of it below:

The Adventure of Link Convinced Me That Zelda is an RPG | GenGAME

If you approached me a few years ago and asked me if I thought The Legend of Zelda series counted as an RPG franchise, I would have probably laughed at you. “It’s an action-adventure game! They tried making it a role-playing game once, and look how that turned out!” Something to that tune. That was of course before I played the game in question – The Adventure of Link for NES.

Zelda II is often regarded as the “black sheep” of the franchise due to some of the major changes to the gameplay: a side-scrolling perspective versus the traditional top-down view, the effective removal of equip items in favor of magic spells, and the one-shot RPG experience system. Some toss the game’s unforgiving difficulty onto the pile.

While it seems the entire gaming world is so focused on the differences, when I finally got around to playing it from start to finish a couple years back, something profound struck me: Zelda II definitely plays like a role-playing game, but as it does so, it captures the heart of what makes the series great.

I've got a few discussion questions I want to ask:

- Have you ever beaten Zelda II?
- Do you think Zelda could count as an RPG?
- Is there anything about Zelda II that you think other games in the franchise have kind of missed out on?

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
Have you ever beaten Zelda II?

No, I have not. It's tough as nails.

Do you think Zelda could count as an RPG?

The general Zelda formula is most certainly not an RPG. If you coin Zelda an RPG then by definition every Action-Adventure game is also an RPG. Skyward Sword introduced more RPG like elements with the stamina and shield meters as well as upgrade system, however, there was no experience system which I consider to be the primary factor in determining whether a title is an RPG or not.

Is there anything about Zelda II that you think other games in the franchise have kind of missed out on?

The Adventure of Link definitely boasted a plethora of unique features but I feel as though all of those perks were exploited in later installments and refined. The only feature latter games are missing is an experience system but as I maintained earlier Zelda is an Action-Adventure title, not an RPG. The magic meter was incorporated a diverse selection of tools in A Link to the Past and special moves based solely around magic were introduced in Ocarina of Time. Tougher enemies like Iron Knuckles and Dark Link also saw a rejuvenation during the N64 days. I prefer the Adventure of Link over its predecessor but it's difficult to pick up and play this primitive product after so many years.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Have you ever beaten Zelda II?

Yep. Quite a few times, actually. I've pretty much got that game down.

Do you think Zelda could count as an RPG?

Yeah, no. Absolutely not. Only Zelda II qualifies as an RPG. Zelda is an Action/Adventure series down to the core. It may have a few minor RPG elements in it (especially in SS), but it's in no part of that genre. It doesn't meet the proper qualifications to be such.

Is there anything about Zelda II that you think other games in the franchise have kind of missed out on?

Practical use of magic. The Medallions in ALttP and the "Goddess Charms" -- I have no idea what to call them -- in OoT tried to emulate those, but they just weren't the same. Especially in OoT. Those were underused and pathetic. And WW did a poor job with the magic in general. ALttP did a fair job with its magic, though, and MM really took advantage of it, but one thing MM did that the others didn't (save Zelda II) was have the different transformations use their abilities along side of magic. Normal Link had the Spin Attack and Magic Arrows (which were used fantastically, unlike in OoT). Deku Link had the bubbles. Goron Link had the spikes while rolling. Zora Link had the electrical field. And Fierce Deity Link had the magical friggin' disks that came out of his badass sword. Magic was used practically in MM. Just like in Zelda II. That's what made the difference. Magic used in things like spells need to return if magic is to make a comeback in the series. I don't mind of the magic Spin Attack and Arrows return. Just bring back the practical use of the magic so that it can be used in combat, otherwise having it is useless.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
- Have you ever beaten Zelda II?
With hacks amirite.

- Do you think Zelda could count as an RPG?

Absolutely. I don't see how people make a distinction between Zelda and the RPG genre.

- Is there anything about Zelda II that you think other games in the franchise have kind of missed out on?
Amazing difficulty, great magic use, awesome enemies, etc. If there are two thing, it is the spells and the difficulty. AoL is the only game in the series to make extensive use of magic and its outlet, spells, was perfectly molded with the game. Instead of permanent upgrades like double defense, we used Shield to survive enemy encounters (or, you hardcores out there played without upgrades at all, kudos to you). We didn't have autojump, and to enhance our jump we used the Jump spell. etc etc etc.

As for the difficulty, I love this difficulty. It keeps things frustrating, and in the end when I finally (if I finally) get past that palace, I feel so freaking relieved. Compare to later games like TP or especially SS, beating a dungeon is like "wow was that a dungeon?" in that it is so amazingly easy. Zelda II might be a hard game, but it isn't bad.

Many of its elements should return for Zelda 3DS/Wii U, especially the difficulty and spells.

-- have you ever beaten Zelda II? no. I'm currently working on the 4th dungeon.
-- Do you think Zelda could count as an RPG?
Absolutely. I don't see how people make a distinction between Zelda and the RPG genre.

This.

I believe that the magic was great. it needs to be done again. Also, I like the idea of the EXP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom