• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Mafia Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Definitely interesting. I guess we mods can just mod with these themes in the regular fashion and if there is enough demand we can create a separate queue (or separate subforum) for them?

Also, back to something I mentioned earlier: What do you guys think about 'beginners' mafia games. As of right now, I think the consensus was that beginners could go whenever they were ready (but still 1 at a time) since beginners games and advanced games usually have no to few player overlap. But I think all the newbies have acclimated very well to the 'advanced/non-beginner' games and LG's game had was full of old hands rather than beginners.

I say we just get rid of this distinction we have between beginners games and advanced. So effectively, all games, beginners or not, follow the queue as normal.

I think at least a seperate que for the open games would work better to start out at least since I'm fairly sure we can get them going well. Most open games are fast paced (I play on Skype with Atticus, fused, and others) and we can clean a game of Dethy in an hour tops. Now I know this is a forum site, but your game, Viral, lasted about a week if I remember correctly. That being said, open games can be made to last no more than two weeks for the larger open games (Double Day, Unlimited Double, etc.) and one week for smaller ones (Assassins in the Palace, Dethy, etc.).

On the topic of Beginner, I think the idea should be eliminated completely. Beginner games, if done the way Axle used to do them, are broken (certain methods can be pulled off if a player knows about the roles and Axle's type of beginner game), and the recent one by LG was beginner, but still more advanced than any other beginner games prior. In the end, most people who have started playing with us recently, have done their first game in a non beginner setup so at this point I see no reason for Beginner games.

Mido

Version 1
I can understand why you'd want to get rid of them, but I feel that labeling a game as "beginners" is going to attract new players more easily than a game labeled as "advanced".

Atty's point here pretty much summarizes my stance on the whole "Beginner's scheme." Especially in the case where we may have players who are indeed beginners, players that are struggling to get a foothold in the Mafia world here, or with players that are not confident in their abilities. I feel like there should still be some Beginner's atmosphere in our Mafia forum.

I think at least a seperate que for the open games would work better to start out at least since I'm fairly sure we can get them going well. Most open games are fast paced (I play on Skype with Atticus, fused, and others) and we can clean a game of Dethy in an hour tops. Now I know this is a forum site, but your game, Viral, lasted about a week if I remember correctly. That being said, open games can be made to last no more than two weeks for the larger open games (Double Day, Unlimited Double, etc.) and one week for smaller ones (Assassins in the Palace, Dethy, etc.).

I definitely think your thoughts here are well put! I noticed like with games like Mafia 10 (Magical Round, I think), the days were much shorter, and based on that varied length of days, the games can be split up in that fashion, as you said. I'm all in support for that.

On the topic of Beginner, I think the idea should be eliminated completely. Beginner games, if done the way Axle used to do them, are broken (certain methods can be pulled off if a player knows about the roles and Axle's type of beginner game), and the recent one by LG was beginner, but still more advanced than any other beginner games prior. In the end, most people who have started playing with us recently, have done their first game in a non beginner setup so at this point I see no reason for Beginner games.

As much as this holds true, as there are undoubtedly less beginners than there are advanced players, I still hold to my earlier statement. I mean, sure, the Beginner's system definitely had flaws, but I don't know, I still feel like a Beginner's series should be prevalent in this forum, but as for a method to handle it, I'm not sure on that, yet.

Rachel

be vigitant
I don't think distinction for beginner's games is necessary, I agree that in the Marching Band game there were a lot of non-beginners.

Perhaps if the distinction was removed, people could sign up as 'mentors' or something like that for each game where they could assist newer players out, explain things that were confusing, etc.?

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Are you all seriously going to vote for this? v

I say we just get rid of this distinction we have between beginners games and advanced. So effectively, all games, beginners or not, follow the queue as normal.

How blind could you be? This is obvious scum. Viral just wants to off an inactive to get the mafia to win.

I agree. Beginner/advanced? Who cares, it's all the same.

What? It can't be the same, there is obviously a difference in roles and whatnot. How could you say that? Beginner Games is pretty much confirmed town here.

If we're going to split anything, I'd really like to separate games from sign-ups, mainly so the sub-forum doesn't become cluttered. :yes:

As far as Beginners goes, I'm not sure. There are plenty of people on here who are going to mod games that are advanced. Whether they be ******* games, role madness, etc, newbies may not fair so well by starting off with those types of games. I can understand why you'd want to get rid of them, but I feel that labeling a game as "beginners" is going to attract new players more easily than a game labeled as "advanced".

You have a good point here.

Excuse me? Beginner Games can have some spice, it can't always be bland. It prepares The Noobs for the "real world"! This is just dumb logic.

Atty's point here pretty much summarizes my stance on the whole "Beginner's scheme." Especially in the case where we may have players who are indeed beginners, players that are struggling to get a foothold in the Mafia world here, or with players that are not confident in their abilities. I feel like there should still be some Beginner's atmosphere in our Mafia forum.

I definitely think your thoughts here are well put! I noticed like with games like Mafia 10 (Magical Round, I think), the days were much shorter, and based on that varied length of days, the games can be split up in that fashion, as you said. I'm all in support for that.

As much as this holds true, as there are undoubtedly less beginners than there are advanced players, I still hold to my earlier statement. I mean, sure, the Beginner's system definitely had flaws, but I don't know, I still feel like a Beginner's series should be prevalent in this forum, but as for a method to handle it, I'm not sure on that, yet.

Yes.

Based off of my analysis here, I'm going to Vote: Viral Maze He's trying to lead the town into a miss-lynch.

*ahem* Joking aside. In all seriousness I think it'd be a good idea to keep the beginner games, because even though some beginners ignor "advanced" signs, it doesn't mean other beginners wont be intimidated by it. Unvote, Vote: Keep Beginner :)

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Excuse me? Beginner Games can have some spice, it can't always be bland. It prepares The Noobs for the "real world"! This is just dumb logic.

I understand, but if we do keep them, they can't have the same setup that Axle has used multiple times in the past. If you look at this (C9mafia setup) and this (breaking strategy) it becomes clear why Axles old setups were broken, even if the new players didn't act on it. We'd have to change the games up.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
I understand, but if we do keep them, they can't have the same setup that Axle has used multiple times in the past. If you look at this (C9mafia setup) and this (breaking strategy) it becomes clear why Axles old setups were broken, even if the new players didn't act on it. We'd have to change the games up.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to sound against that or anything, I was joking. :> I do think the beginner games should be kept simple. Yup.

EBMODP:

Unvote

Vote: No Beginners

Okay. So with beginners games it might be easier, however since, like Atty said, most of the beginners are playing advanced and advanced players are playing beginner games as well, there is sort of no point to their existence. Those beginners who want to play but are a little shy/intimidated, can get some help and also read Axle's mafia guide.

=D

Last edited:

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
As far as Beginners goes, I'm not sure. There are plenty of people on here who are going to mod games that are advanced. Whether they be ******* games, role madness, etc, newbies may not fair so well by starting off with those types of games. I can understand why you'd want to get rid of them, but I feel that labeling a game as "beginners" is going to attract new players more easily than a game labeled as "advanced".

Well the point was to get rid of labels, beginners and advanced, altogether.

The reason I bring that up is to gett rid of the 'budding' rule we had, where beginners mods and games bud in the queue. Distinctions between beginners and advanced games are becoming increasingly blurred with newbies joining non-beginners games, and experienced players in beginners games.

I mean, I'm fine with people labeling their games beginners or advanced, or minis or whatever, but I think we should just get rid of the budding rule. LGs game, almost no different from any advanced game, budded in front of 7 games and I think having 3 games at a time stretches all our attention-spans a bit thin and breeds inactivity in every game.

I say either we get rid of the budding/2 'advanced' + 1 'beginners' game rule we have
OR
Have stricter rules on beginners games (smaller player counts, limits on how many experienced players can play, etc) so they don't interfere with the other games in terms of players and activity.

fused_shadows

Brave Knight of Truth
I agree with keeping the beginner's games, but making the rules more strict; have at least half of the players be relatively new (<5 games experience) with the rest being moderately experienced (as you can't really guarantee there will be that many new players). Now let's get the next game started. :)

Kirino

Tatakae
I definitely agree with Raj and Xy. People should be able to do beginner's games if they want or label them as such, but there shouldn't be any distinction between them in the queue or rules, such as with the 2 normal + 1 beginners/mini rule. That way, it's more fair to the other people in the queue since the vast majority of them are advanced games. In fact, I don't even think we even have any beginner games currently on the queue.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Well if we're worried about the label then we might as well get rid of it; however, I feel that all mods should be obligated to post the difficulty of their game in their threads. For example, during a sign-up, the title won't say Beginners, but in the thread the mod should say "all users are welcome to play, especially the inexperienced", or something along those lines. This will prevent people from budding and hopefully solve the issue once and for all. So essentially we're still keeping Beginners games, but just not labeling them.

How does that sound? :?

(too lazy to even read most of the posts, i just want another game to start lmfaooo)

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Sounds good. Only gripe I had was letting beginners or mini games bud because we initially set them off to the side, as their own group of games.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
To all the mafia game mods in current play

Due to computer problems that wont be fixed for a while I will not be able to replace anyone (I signed up as a replacement for all the games, aside from LoK). The problem makes it so that I can't open my PMs, so I wont be able to receive my role(s). So please take me off your replacement list, I can't play. :< However if you can find a way to get me my role, go right ahead. XD

And as to my game that is coming up, I can't send out PMs! Although I hope that game isn't coming soon (I'm in a safe spot in the back, so that's good). But if my game does come up while the problem remains, just hold it off 'till the problem is fixed. :<

Thank you for your coolness! =D

EDIT:

PM problem was fixed! I can still be a replacement! =D

Last edited:

Kirino

Tatakae
Ninten's Walking Dead Mafia is up, which should be getting started now that Korra Mafia is done, but it's been a while since he's even been online. And yeah, Jenn said she'd have the DBZ Mafia game thread up on the 19th, but that hasn't happened. I think we should wait a few more days, and if Ninten doesn't show up, we skip him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom