• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Mafia Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
If anyone's interested, here is the info about my game, with date and other players:
Game 4 - May 16 (36/12 phases, American deadlines)
benneh
Bimps
Golden
inky
Jackrito
Jamie
Jowy
Kami
Moliere
Phighter
romanov
SpankGangsta
spookymilk
Teneb
Thirdmango
y2kjbk
Zexy

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Hey guys, I spoke with Chase for a few minutes in the SB about the Mafia Awards. We had a low turnout this year (can be explained by 2015 being slightly slow with a lot of unfinished games/low activity, and a low returning player base for 2016), and iirc, even last year, though the turnout was better, the entire list of categories was rarely filled out (I'm guilty of that, I know).

I think partly the reason is also our category list is fairly bloated...

Individual Awards
  • Best Overall Mafia Player (The best overall mafia player.)
  • Best Mafioso (The player who performs the best as mafia.)
  • Best Townie (The player who performs the best as town.)
  • Best Third Party (The player who performs the best as third party.)
  • Best Newbie (The best player who started playing in 2015.)
  • Most Improved Player (The player who improved the most over the course of the year.)
  • Best Scumhunter (The player who scumhunts the best and/or finds scum the most often.)
  • Best Strategist (The player who plans ahead and makes the best strategies, even if they do not always work.)
  • Best Theorist (The player who comes up with the most unique, creative, accurate, or wild theories.)
  • Most Trustworthy (The most trustworthy player.)
  • Most Manipulative (The player who manipulates or persuades others the best.)
  • Bad Luck (The player with the worst luck, like dying night 1 or being mislynched often.)
  • Most Active (The player who posts most often and continues to be active in each game.)
  • Most Likely to Fake Claim (The player who is most likely to make a fake claim.)

Best Player by Role
  • Best Godfather (The player who performed the best as godfather.)
  • Best Vig (The player who performed the best as vigilante.)
  • Best Cop (The player who performed the best as cop.)
  • Best Doctor (The player who performed the best as doctor.)
  • Best Roleblocker (The player who performed the best as roleblocker.)
  • Best Serial Killer (The player who performed the best as serial killer.)
  • Best Cult Leader (The player who performed the best as cult leader.)

Awards by Game
  • Best Theme (The best mafia game theme.)
  • Best Game (The best mafia game.)
  • Best Mod (The best mafia mod.)
  • Best Whitewash (The best victory for one team that was won by a large margin.)
  • Best Town Group (The best Town from any given game.)
  • Best Mafia Group (The best scum group from any given game.)

I think there are areas where we can improve by merging categories, or getting rid of them altogether. Honestly, for the life of me, I can't recall 2015s or 2014s Best Strategist or Theorist and I feel like that fits well into Best Townie or Best Scum awards. The best townie would generally be that year best strategist. Same with best scumhunter. That would generally fall under best Townie. Awards like Most Likely to Fake Claim seems like just fluff we can get rid of (though it, and the Bad Luck award seem like 'fun' categories).

What do you guys think? Want to get rid of some of the fluff and combine categories for next year? It'll keep the list streamlined, and prevent us voting the same player each year because we can't remember who the most manipulative was this year and just vote for the same person we did last year.

Reactions: Pen

kokirion

Just like you. But cooler
I agree.

For example, cult leader is a role that is almost never added to the game. If it does it is unlikely that in 1 year there are multiple players you can compare in this category. You could merge cult leader and godfather to "scum leader", anyone who leads a non-town group, in whatever hybrid form it is. The same for best town vig, roleblocker, doctor etc. I suggest we merge all these town power roles to best player with a special town role (name it better though). You could nominate anyone for that category who was a townie with a power in that game (as long as it was an active ability and significant enough to change his playstyle. i.e. someone who just played good but only had a quasi-power role falls under best townie, not best power role).

Scumhunter can also merge with best townie. I'd say most trustworthy can just be removed, as well as best serial killer (uncommon role and we already have best third party, which encompasses SK and more)

kokirion

Just like you. But cooler
So maybe something like

Individual Awards
  • Most Improved Player (The player who improved the most over the course of the year.)
  • Best Strategist (The player who plans ahead and makes the best strategies, even if they do not always work.)
  • Best Theorist (The player who comes up with the most unique, creative, accurate, or wild theories.)
  • Most Manipulative (The player who manipulates or persuades others the best.)
  • Bad Luck (The player with the worst luck, like dying night 1 or being mislynched often.)
  • Most Active (The player who posts most often and continues to be active in each game.)
  • Most Likely to Fake Claim (The player who is most likely to make a fake claim.)

Best Player by Role
  • Best Scum leader (The player who performed the best as leader of a non-town group.)
  • Best special town (The player who performed the best as Vig, Cop, Doc or Roleblocker)

Awards by Game
  • Best Whitewash (The best victory for one team that was won by a large margin.)

additionally, I would also consider removing best whitewash, best newbie, most active and most improved player. As well as merging best strategist and most manipulative (someone who has a great strategy can usually apply it well ingame, and someone who is a great manipulator tends to have a strategy of what/why he or she is manipulating those people). But I'm a bit conflicted on these

Reactions: Pen

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Individual Awards

Best Player by Role
  • Best Scum leader (The player who performed the best as leader of a non-town group.)
  • Best Town PR (The player who performed the best as Vig, Cop, Doc or Roleblocker)

Awards by Game

I took what Koki posted and got rid of theorist, strategist, most active, and a few others.

Got it. I'll change all that for the current round. Should we push back the deadline again?

Yeah I say we can extend it, or redo it. We can wait for more replies here and opinions, but I'm down to do a streamlined list this year.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I also had an idea.
We can amalgamate the Best Theorist/Strategist/etc into a single award that could be something called The X Factor Award.

It can be awarded to a player for a really interesting, or cool play/gambit or to someone who called out 90% of scum and got nightkilled for it (thus didn't have a chance to go for Best Townie)

I feel like we may have a player or two (or 3) who may not fit into that year's best Townie, or GF, or PR, but did something that stood out. This could be a fun way to reward some interesting plays/gambits but also acknowledge players who played very well or in a very thought out methodical way, but don't fit into any specific category... They just had that X factor.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
me 2 ZD after i died n1
tumblr_m0hqia7jak1r87wbho2_r3_500.gif

Eduarda

Srishti is annie is eduarda right?
I don't know if this idea has ever been brought up, but how about having a mentor system in place?

New players can ask for a mentor in a designated thread, and experienced players can asked to mentor a newbie.

The mods of Mafia can decide if the to-be-students are eligible (has played less than X amount of games) and if the to-be-mentors are eligible (has played at least X amount of games/Won a mafia award/ect)

They can be added to a list and matched up. The student can join a game. The mentor is not allowed to join said game, or post in it. But they are expected to follow it and know their student's role and give advice or their own suspicions (though, say why and encourage the student to decide if they agree or not). The game mod can provide them with a separate QT to discuss if they want to see the thought process too.

This may encourage new players and can avoid newbies leaving in frustration or going inactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom