• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

OoT-N64 Ganondoor: Glitching Gone Too Far?

Does the Ganondoor glitch take the fun out of OoT?

• Definitely! It skips the best parts!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends if you've enjoyed OoT to its fullest.

• It makes OoT even more fun!

• Total voters

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I heard that there was a glitch that was recently discovered in Ocarina of Time that allows to to warp to the end of the game from the Deku Tree. After doing some poking around on Youtube, I found a couple videos to show this glitch, nicknamed "Ganondoor," in action... (these might blow your mind!)

Deku Tree Wrong Warp to Ganon's Castle Simple Setup - YouTube

Ocarina of Time any% speedrun in 25:32 - YouTube

I thought such a glitch would be controversial, so I pose the question: because it skips almost the entire game, does "Ganondoor" make OoT more fun or take the fun out of OoT?

It doesn't take the fun out of OoT and it doesn't make it more fun. You kinda sound like you could play the game only once and then never again. You can play it how often you ever want to. First time you should play the game as intended. And this is kind of a new way and enhances the game :)

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
You can't do this glitch on accident and if you're even attempting it you have to have already played the game several times so there's no way it can ruin the game for you. It does, however, do the opposite because it gives speedrunners and glitchers something to do.

I think it's pretty cool to see just how much people can abuse this game. I mean, the fact that people are finding out new glitches 14 years after the game came out is pretty exciting. Someone's done a sub-20 minute run, which is just frankly amazing.

That's pretty crazy. But if youre doing a speedrun, I would consider it cheating. It would just be unfair to other speedrunners who don't know about the glitch.

I think it lies on the speedrunner to find out about various glitches in the game. If a speedrunner didn't know about Farore's Wind, for example, that shouldn't stop everyone else from using it.

Besides, there's other categories of OoT speedrun to keep things interesting. There's one where you use a similar trick to this one in Dodongo's Cavern (it requires a fair amount of setup, though) and it warps you to half way through the ending credits after Ganon... so you miss the final boss fight altogether!

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I think it lies on the speedrunner to find out about various glitches in the game. If a speedrunner didn't know about Farore's Wind, for example, that shouldn't stop everyone else from using it.
Yeah, but picture this: there's a speedrunning contest, one person knows about the glitch, another doesnt. The person who doesn't know about it wouldnt stand a chance. Idk, I guess it would be up to whoever runs the contest to decide whether glitches are allowed or not, and which ones. If it were me, I would allow things like damage boosting(where you shoot yourself to get to places you wouldn't normally be able to reach) and small things like that, like a glitch that lets you skip waking up Talon by Hyrule Castle. But I wouldnt allow this Ganondoor. It blows everything right out of the water. Heck, I might even decide to make things even more challenging, and say no glitches at all.

Yeah, but picture this: there's a speedrunning contest, one person knows about the glitch, another doesnt. The person who doesn't know about it wouldnt stand a chance. Idk, I guess it would be up to whoever runs the contest to decide whether glitches are allowed or not, and which ones. If it were me, I would allow things like damage boosting(where you shoot yourself to get to places you wouldn't normally be able to reach) and small things like that, like a glitch that lets you skip waking up Talon by Hyrule Castle. But I wouldnt allow this Ganondoor. It blows everything right out of the water. Heck, I might even decide to make things even more challenging, and say no glitches at all.

I understand what you're getting at, but I still disagree. If one speedrunner knew that walking backwards as Adult Link was faster than walking forwards, and the other one didn't, should the first speedrunner not be allowed to backwalk? Considering the amount of walking Link does, that time quickly adds up. Part of speedrunning is having a lot of skill, but the other part is knowing the game inside out, knowing as many tricks and glitches as possible and planning a route.

There is a glitchless category for OoT speedruns, but I don't think it makes a massive amount of sense. How can you definitely decide what's a glitch and what's not a glitch? In the case of OoT3DS, where the devs deliberately left in a bunch of glitches... do they really count as glitches if they're intended behaviour?

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Meh. When I posted that I was thinking it warped you to the final battle(I was at work, so I couldnt watch the video)...so I guess pointless argument is pointless.

Walking backwards is not a glitch. I wouldnt see a problem with that example, both speedrunners would use their own ways to be fast. Now I can see Speedrunner B being a bit peeved when they see that Speedrunner A beat their time with something that simple, but if the rules are no glitches, it would be allowed and Speedrunner A would win fair and square. Speedrunner B would walk away with new knowledge for the next contest.

It's hard to define a glitch, but warping to Ganon's Castle from Deku Tree is obviously one. Damage boosting is a glitch. I guess any time you do something in a way the developers didnt intend, and the coding is confused, so something crazy happens, it's a glitch. Idk. Speedrunning contests just have to say which glitches are allowed and which ones arent to avoid arguments. If somebody finds a new one, let them use it I guess.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I don't see the point in doing any glitch like this. Skip the entire game? No thanks.

I understand if you've already fully experienced OoT and you just want to try it out, but to me it just seems like a one time thing

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This glitch makes OoT far more fun. Why? It shows there are so many ways you can complete the game. Tired of going through all dungeons painstakingly? No problem; just glitch through the door and make your way to final boss. This allows for optimal times in every essence (if you're doing a glitched run, anyway). Even if this IS a glitch, the game still shows near infinite replayability due to it. Try to replicate it!

That's pretty crazy. But if youre doing a speedrun, I would consider it cheating. It would just be unfair to other speedrunners who don't know about the glitch.
You aren't a speedrunner if you don't know TO test different routes and search up new glitches while trying to find new ones on your own as well. As someone who was thoroughly immersed in speedrunning, I can say with full surety that person A knowing how to do such and such while B doesn't is totally fair. It's like playing a fighting game; if person A (let's call this one Amy) likes to spam 236K:A 6:6B and person B doesn't know how to guard against it, it's all fair game. B's fault for not knowing/applying their knowledge.

Garo

Boy Wonder
These poll options are significantly lacking. Some people enjoy speedrunning with glitches, which is something this glitch would certainly enable. Glitches alone and the finding and replication of them are another thing that people find fun. Playing the game only the way it was meant to be played by the developers isn't the only way to enjoy the game.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
GaroXicon said:
Glitches alone and the finding and replication of them are another thing that people find fun.

Agreed. I tried out the Ganondoor glitch recently, and I have gotten decently consistent at it. Considering that the glitch is frame perfect, and thus difficult, it contributes to the fun of OoT since some people, myself included, like to challenge themselves and prove that they can pull off hard tricks consistently. That aside, I realize it's a huge glitch that breaks the entire game, so I'm not surprised that some OoT speedruns, especially some any% speedruns, ban Ganondoor (or, in general, Wrong Warping). At the same time, due to the glitch's difficulty, it's hard to imagine a new OoT player using Ganondoor to skip basically the whole game.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom